• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Winsford now OFF

Why go all the way to Widnes? I don’t know what kind of contract we have with Winsford, but if they can’t get a game on why can’t we approach Witton and ask to play a couple of one-off games there?? They need the income, we need to play games

Witton play on turf too Kit and are also vulnerable to the ravages of the weather. We need to play games and we need reassurance that those will take place, so if we were to go down the route of using a neutral pitch then an artificial surface would surely be the wisest choice - if available in the first place?
In terms of playing at WP, why would they do us any favours with a preferential rate? Allowing us to use the pitch might result in them having their following fixture/s cancelled as a consequence and the risk of the loss of gate money, something any self respecting business would factor into the cost.

Why would it result in people stop watching us? Its not our fault away teams keep saying games are on only to call them off close to kick off.

Piss poor planning and organisation from other teams in our league shouldn’t be branded anything to do with 1874 Northwich.

On Saturday we had an inspection, it was ON the match ref came and it was fine to play. We do it right. Unlike some!

Did I say it was anything to do with 1874? It's not our fault. Why would people lose interest? I'd say because our fans plan to go to games having been told they're on and then they end up being called off when they're at the ground or not long before kick off. It doesn't matter if it's at home or away. People have lives and there's only so much of their time and money, they can give before getting frustrated and annoyed. If people can't watch regular football with one club, they'll look elsewhere for it.

I've come to the point where I see a game is on and expect it to to be called off later. For it to happen in four games shows there's a problem and the FA/league (whoever is responsible) needs to sort this as it does football at our level, which let's be honest isn't that well supported, no favours at all.

Last edited:
Why would it result in people stop watching us? Its not our fault away teams keep saying games are on only to call them off close to kick off.

Piss poor planning and organisation from other teams in our league shouldn’t be branded anything to do with 1874 Northwich.

On Saturday we had an inspection, it was ON the match ref came and it was fine to play. We do it right. Unlike some!

Our club does do it right, that’s the annoying thing.

The 200 or so faithful/ hardcore that have a deep interest in the club will understand and grit our teeth and get on with it.

But for the more casual fan, the kind of fan that this club needs to attract back and more of, last minute postponements (even for away games) are a real put off.

The game 4 games what been call on then off let’s look at

Padiham away game on in the morning rain snow hour and half before the KO on the Pitch then becomes unplayable ref calls it off right decision

Runcorn linnets the same thing as padiham nothing both clubs could about the weather just unlucky to happen

Runcorn town away sound like miscommunication by the guy who dose there Twitter account

Winsford yesterday
Game should of not been on in the first place

As football fan you know when set off the a game the weather can change and there could change of the game being call off I know it’s frustrating to happen we just unlucky to happen to us 4 time this season

At the end of the day it’s all down to one man/women opinion the Maine Road game the referee who inspected the pitch in the morning said it’s not dangerous and fine to play match ref did not want to play it and said if he did the inspection in the morning he would called it’s off But as both teams are there ask both managers if the want to play it both said yes so he played it

The NWCL fixture list states waterlogged pitch and given the amount of rain the previous evening I am not too surprised, but have Winsford FC given an official reason for yesterdays postponement? Was the majority of the pitch unplayable or was it the small problem area outside of the 18 yard box at the 'high end' of the ground?

Would Winsford realy want to spend a bit of money sorting the pitch out.Why would they care if over the next few weeks we have half a dozen games postponed,They will still get their rent money in the spring when we have to play 3 or 4 games a week
.It is our club who will lose income with dropping attendances not Winsford.
I for one dont have the time or even want to attend 3 or 4 games a week ,
So Winsford can sit back and do nothing in the knowledge their money is coming.

There will be 100-200 less spectators at the rearranged match so I'm guessing that Winsford would have lost up to a £1000 with yesterdays postponement, pretty sure they would care about that.

There will be 100-200 less spectators at the rearranged match so I'm guessing that Winsford would have lost up to a £1000 with yesterdays postponement, pretty sure they would care about that.
I know what you mean,But that pitch has been awfull for donkeys years and they have done nothing and just put up with it.
But now they have our rent money coming and that more than makes up for yesterdays game.So why spend money to sort pitch out when they will get our rent money if they do or dont.

It's more than likely going to cost several years rent to even come near to solving drainage problems on a football pitch.
There is a reverse argument as well that we knew full well what we were getting - that is why it's cheaper than other options. You get what you pay for.
A ground maintained to the standard of a higher league is what we want but do we NEED it yet? It's down to priorities and if this was a drier winter it wouldn't be a problem at all. Swings and roundabouts!
I don't know what we pay Winsford but it seemed to be accepted that it cost Vics a small fortune at Witton. Every penny we pay over and above what we NEED to pay is a penny less towards the move back to our own home.
We're in the NWCL and that is real life at this level.

But that pitch has been awfull for donkeys years and they have done nothing and just put up with it
Agree with you but it must fit in with their expectations and ambitions and therefore 74's too at this time. Remember we are only there temporary and without opening up a can of worms Linnets wallowed around mid table for years at wincham before mounting a promotion challenge from there own ground. I can begrudgingly 'live' with some waterlogged pitches at this level but if its a broken pipe then it needs sorting out asap.

At the end of the day it’s all down to one man/women opinion the Maine Road game the referee who inspected the pitch in the morning said it’s not dangerous and fine to play match ref did not want to play it and said if he did the inspection in the morning he would called it’s off But as both teams are there ask both managers if the want to play it both said yes so he played it
Which just goes to show how fussy the refs are being!!.
The Maine road game was played without any problems with the pitch during the game and we played some excellent football on it!....so why would the ref say he wanted to call it off.??
Another ref who didn’t want get his boots dirty!? o_O.

Too much responsibility put on referees, it's H & S gone mad. How on earth can a ref be responsible for a player injuring himself on a soft pitch?

God forbid the day when soldiers don't go to war because the battlefield is waterlogged.

Last edited:
Witton play on turf too Kit and are also vulnerable to the ravages of the weather. We need to play games and we need reassurance that those will take place, so if we were to go down the route of using a neutral pitch then an artificial surface would surely be the wisest choice - if available in the first place?
In terms of playing at WP, why would they do us any favours with a preferential rate? Allowing us to use the pitch might result in them having their following fixture/s cancelled as a consequence and the risk of the loss of gate money, something any self respecting business would factor into the cost.
Apparently (according to a very reliable 1874 source) that your Sunday game in the FA Vase may take place at a football ground in Wincham if your home pitch is unfit. Seems a sensible arrangement to have a back-up plan. And Pontefract won't have played there in a previous round!
GE

Apparently (according to a very reliable 1874 source) that your Sunday game in the FA Vase may take place at a football ground in Wincham if your home pitch is unfit. Seems a sensible arrangement to have a back-up plan. And Pontefract won't have played there in a previous round!
GE

If this is true then great, progress in developing a good working relationship between the two clubs.

Back