• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Winsford now OFF

I’ll say it again, is there one documented case of a player being hurt by a muddy field!?

The reason you don’t hear about injuries to a player on very soft pitch is because the ref as called it off I want on the pitch the match ref made the right decision it was well too soft my foot just sank on it

Wonder how many went to Barnton instead? :(

I will confess, it was chucking it down here so I didn't venture out to watch Wimborne ... and they played. :(

The reason you don’t hear about injuries to a player on very soft pitch is because the ref as called it off I want on the pitch the match ref made the right decision it was well too soft my foot just sank on it
If thats the case why was it announced as game on this morning.

All I can think is when the did work on the pitch the roll it witch then bring the water the to of the surface but the did not fork the top of so when water come up it had nowhere to go then makes to soft or ref what did pitch inspection got it wrong

We are trying to everything we can to sort out the problem area but we are not experts in football pitch think time both club to get the professionals to fix but that could cost thousands if not tens of thousands

Postponements don’t bother me so much. We are aware of the pitches at this level, only half the games survived today across the league, but it’s the being told the games are on, then last minute the match referee decides otherwise which is the problem.

Reactions: Ben
Postponements don’t bother me so much. We are aware of the pitches at this level, only half the games survived today across the league, but it’s the being told the games are on, then last minute the match referee decides otherwise which is the problem.
I agree with Andy here. 1.00pm should be the final decision. Any doubt and the referee should get there before this time to make a decision. They are paid anyway for this.
The players and supporters have to travel, and everyone has to be informed.
I appreciate that if there is a marked deterioration of the pitch due to the weather after 1.00 then he should call it off just like the abandonment after play starts.

I could go on about the pitch but what I will say is that firstly it's not ours and secondly there seems to be an underlying problem to the affected area which is being looked at but it will take time to find out the cause of the additional water on this area and to remedy it. Also I think WE have not had a home league game postponed this season.

So annoyed. This is putting fans off committing and ultimately that will affect our revenue.

A few seasons ago we played at Widnes for a league game just to get a game on.

We really need to do that as this backlog is threatening to cripple our season.

And secondly, when are winsford (with our help if we’re staying here long term) going to spend the necessary money to make this pitch suitable. The amount of postponements is far too much to ever mount a real title challenge.

Quite a few games behind now and one way or another we will have to find a way to fulfil (and hopefully win) them, before the season comes to its official end. Obviously we have to accept that the pitch is what it is, every club is at the mercy of the weather to some extent at this time of year and while the stadium gang do a sterling job, there is only so much that they can do in the circumstances, but is there any contingency plans or alternative solutions available to us? *We have used Widnes for one off games in the past, is there any scope for us to use them again or the facilities at Sandbach, assuming this wouldn’t be too cost prohibitive?

* sorry just noted Hi Jean’s earlier post.

Will the game be on on Saturday if we have any more rain between now and then? I bet a few fans are asking the same question and that is the problem. Winsford need to sort out that problem area of the pitch,otherwise we run the risk of further postponements in similar circumstances

I would suggest that it is up to the owners of the Club to direct the Board in this matter, it is their Club after all.
If I were on the supervisory group of our Club I would wait until the match referee officially sanctions the game before putting any announcement out.

I think we should accept the fact that the ground at winsford is clay which retains water like a sponge and is poor draining.you can fork as much as you like but the water returns to the surface(ask any gardener with clay soil) the only solution would for winsford to approach winsford town council or Cheshire west council who I am sure would have professional surveyors employed,who could offer advice on resolving this ongoing problem which is affecting both clubs

Winsford dont have any money and I, as a Club owner would object most strongly if the Club spent considerable amounts in trying to rectify this situation.
It is not our ground and it is the landlords responsibility and I would hope that our rent reflects the current facilities.

Grin and bear it unfortunately - this is the reality of football at this level where it's lack of money, lack of volunteers and a continual struggle for many clubs just to put a game on.
We are more fortunate than most in many areas and it provides us with more incentive to move upwards.

We all know the Winsford pitch isn't the best and that there are postponement at this level at this time of the year. However, the wider point here is the fact that four games have now been called on by a local referee and then called off by the match referee. Three of these were games away from home, so this isn't all about Winsford's pitch.

I can accept postponements but being told constantly that a game is on only for it to be overruled simply isn't good enough. It's poor and shoddy and will only lead to people losing interest in watching us and crowds dropping. This needs sorting asap as it's getting ridiculous now.

Why would it result in people stop watching us? Its not our fault away teams keep saying games are on only to call them off close to kick off.

Piss poor planning and organisation from other teams in our league shouldn’t be branded anything to do with 1874 Northwich.

On Saturday we had an inspection, it was ON the match ref came and it was fine to play. We do it right. Unlike some!

I think we should accept the fact that the ground at winsford is clay which retains water like a sponge and is poor draining.you can fork as much as you like but the water returns to the surface(ask any gardener with clay soil) the only solution would for winsford to approach winsford town council or Cheshire west council who I am sure would have professional surveyors employed,who could offer advice on resolving this ongoing problem which is affecting both clubs

I doubt it's to do with the type of soil. The pitch is almost perfect over 95% of the surface. There is one small section in front of the main stand which somehow has ridiculous amounts more water than the rest of it. The drains under that section need proper investigation.

Again though it all comes back to "it's not our pitch" and if Winsford don't/won't sanction anything then there's nothing we can do about it.

Last edited:
Back