• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Winsford now OFF

I’m sorry but I still cannot understand how a pitch can be fit at 10-45 am no rain only sun for next few hours and then suddenly deteriorate enough for match to be called off. It must be so frustrating for people who worked on the pitch to get it fit too. Local referees it seems to me are a total waste of time. And despite the explanations I shall no doubt be given at the end of the day it’s messed my day up and I am really annoyed. Sorry that’s how I feel.

Reactions: Ben
Having a local referee inspect the pitch is clearly pointless. I’m guessing they get paid to come out too. Either local referees need to be more cautious or match referees need to stop expecting perfect pitches in the winter. Has anyone ever known a player get injured on a muddy pitch??

I used to tell the players that if the ball got stuck in the mud that I would whistle and we would have a bounce up. The players understood so it always worked

it should be explained to both Winsford and 1874 fans why the match was called off by the match ref when the pitch had been passed fit to play on in the morning. How can 4 hours on Winter sun make the pitch unplayable? It doesn't make any sense to me unless the local ref got it completely wrong and the pitch should never have been passed fit to play on. A statement needs to issued by Winsford F.C.

That pitch must cost us (and them) so much income, I know today was an away game but any game postponed from a Saturday to mid-week in March is never going to get the same gate. More reasons to step-up our plans to move back to Northwich.

Have a look at the Marine v Alty ground staff today, just before kick off - bucket loads of standing water and the game was allowed to take place.
Could have played today no problem, heavy pitch but safe.

I went on the pitch and in my opinion the game could have been played(and would have been in the not to distant past).In respect to Winsford they did everything they could to get the game on.In answer to the referee he gets half his fee plus expense's.From all accounts the pitch was in no worse condition than it was on Saturday,so it was down to one mans opinion.

Getting ridiculous now....the times recently that we have been told its on for the match ref to turn up and not want get his boots dirty!!! A game played on a day when a lot of people could attend now probably moved to a midweek night that will lower the potential income (and probably when im on nights!!). All other local teams playing today and getting their christmas bumper crowds in but yet again we have let punters and maybe new fans slip away...not good!

Reactions: Ben
Did the referee ask the opinion of any of the players or managers?

I cannot believe that the pitch was any worse than it was on Saturday and the muddy patch had no effect on how that game was played.

704 at Runcorn watching their Derby
Shame we can’t have a pitch that is playable and we can generate some revenue

getting beyond a joke,another day wasted,
How can pitch be playable at 1030 but a few hours of winter sun have made it unplayable.
Im sure ref still gets his match fee for turning up ;)
Halvo is right this sort of fiasco is putting people off watching football at this level:mad:

The match officials get 50% of their fee plus travel costs if they call a match off

It’s all about player safety but having just got back from Runcorn game towns pitch was a lot worse then winsford pitch all down to what a ref think some will play it some won’t

I’ll say it again, is there one documented case of a player being hurt by a muddy field!?

I’ll say it again, is there one documented case of a player being hurt by a muddy field!?

I’d rather be clattered on a soft pitch than a rock hard pitch in August!

A couple of points - do we / winsford use the same local ref for pitch inspections?
Also if the bad patch is the one near the cafe is their no mileage in reducing pitch length or width to take it out of the equation?

Back