• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Groundshare

I'm also just a fan but would be interested in knowing what an "owner" has a say in and whether it is worth becoming an owner or are all major decisions regarding the club exclusive to the board?
If this is the case, tbh, I would question the statement of "run by the fans".

I quoted a 'fans meeting' Chris, we could all discuss the issue, see what the overall consensus is on both clubs investing in the Barton Stadium pitch and or maybe maybe not negotiating with Witton. The board could then plan a owners meeting to vote on the issue(s).

Again I say fans because I'm currently not an owner, I have my reasons for that and when circumstances change, I'll apply for ownership. I know I have no right to a vote but surly I do have the right to voice my opinion and have it heard.

Ok mate, I'll speak to Paul on Friday and try to arrange something.

This thread has been running for less than 36 hours and within that time members want a response from the Chairman or a Board Member about changing a major cornerstone of the Business Plan for 1874 and the possibility of an EGM.

I dont want a response from any Board Member yet, but what I would like is a considered reply after due consideration within a few days or maybe I shall talk to our Chairman on Saturday about the possibility of an Owners meeting to discuss this and other issues affecting our football club.

Lets just all calm down and think this through, lets get some information on the rent and other factors that Witton and Winsford apply and then make a measured response.

I have every faith and Paul and our Board to make the right decision for the right reasons in an unhurried, measured and sustainable manner.

Ok mate, I'll speak to Paul on Friday and try to arrange something.

Forget it Chris, everything these days seems to be 'by the owners for the owners', people have lost sight of the bigger picture and whilst we're wasting away in Winsford our club is dying and not attracting the youth of Northwich, I can't be arsed anymore.

Last edited:
What's the head banging for Jack?
Personally, my opinion only, is we should be fully focused on the agreement we have in place with Winsford for the next few seasons, with also, promoting 1874 as a club to potential new fans and supporting the lads to hopefully a promotion!

I feel everyones frustrations, but this Winter has been abnormal in terms of the amount of rain, it won't happen again (fingers crossed) so next season we should hopefully see more games on over the Winter months!

However, I see where you're coming from by suggesting 1874 talk to Witton again, and as a fan run club, the board will always listen to what the 'owners' have to say!

Last edited:
Forget it Chris, everything these days seems to be 'by the owners for the owners', people have lost sight of the bigger picture and whilst we're wasting away in Winsford our club is dying and not attracting the youth of Northwich, I can't be arsed anymore.

This is not like you Mr Rogers!!!! I can assure all supporters that the bigger, long term picture is absolutely not lost on anyone, supporters or Board. Nor is the 'now' situation.

I don't normally comment on here but just a quick one from me. The comments, ideas and frustrations are taken on by the Board. Some of you may not think that but it couldn't be further from the truth. We are supporters too and want the best for 1874.

The Board will respond and will do what it can to answer questions and issues. But it won't be a knee jerk reaction following the latest postponement. Sorry, we don't operate that way.

The Club does arrange supporters meetings, often with the Manager but we always say that the Board is on hand to answer other questions. It is something that will be done again.

I would urge a little patience for now, 1874 IS going/WILL go in right right direction.

I would also say that the players and management team are frustrated too and the best thing we can do is get behind them, starting on Saturday.

COY74

This was a useful discussion. No one is having a go at Winsford or the board, but I do think options need to be considered. The Winsford pitch is not sustainable.

Thanks for the response Vicki.
I think people are just getting frustrated by all the postponements and a bit worried by the fall in attendances.
Trust me, stick with it! Tried a different road and look how that turned out!
Perhaps a good get it off your chest session is needed. I'm sure something will be done soon and people can ask their questions.

Vicki's comment is factual and to the point, and we need to see the facts as they are, it is doubtful that we will ever see "our own ground within the Norhwich area" for two reasons, but I do see us playing in a "suitable facility" within that area. My reasoning on this is as below;

1. The amount of finance that would be required is WAY beyond the resources of "owners" of 1874, unless the Lottery is won etc.
2. Any area that would be suitable has already been purchased by Land speculaters and Builders. Even MARBURY PARK and the area which abounds.

As a "community" run football club we should be part of the CWAC development for the Moss Farm sports facility and this is where I feel our future lies and I think that this option has already been explored by the honourable Commitee that we are fortunate have in place.

My thoughts on the subject !!.

Vicki, is there no funding available to Winsford to sort out the pitch? I'm sure this was mentioned during a similar period of postponements last season. Is this something they have explored? Has something gone into the contract to say that we pay reduced rent for postponed matches? With the best will in the world, the attendances for rearranged matches are never as high as the original.

I think that buying one of those water collecting systems is the best thing that we can do for now

Vicki's comment is factual and to the point, and we need to see the facts as they are, it is doubtful that we will ever see "our own ground within the Norhwich area" for two reasons, but I do see us playing in a "suitable facility" within that area. My reasoning on this is as below;

1. The amount of finance that would be required is WAY beyond the resources of "owners" of 1874, unless the Lottery is won etc.
2. Any area that would be suitable has already been purchased by Land speculaters and Builders. Even MARBURY PARK and the area which abounds.

As a "community" run football club we should be part of the CWAC development for the Moss Farm sports facility and this is where I feel our future lies and I think that this option has already been explored by the honourable Commitee that we are fortunate have in place.

My thoughts on the subject !!.

A previous post referred to the amount of rent paid by Chester FC when they were a league side. I enquired of CWAC a couple of years ago and was informed that the current Club pays £24,000 per annum to the Council for the use of the Deva Stadium, which some believe to be a derisory amount. There is little doubt in my mind that CWAC would love to see Chester FC regain their football League status and their treatment of non league Football Clubs in the East of the region is poor when compared to the support it offers to Chester FC. I believe that the Council told 1874 to "come back in 2 years, when you have demonstrated that yor Club is viable". Is it not now time to call in that matter and get support from the Council (comparable to that offered to Chester FC) perhaps for the development in Frank's post.

A good measured debate. Not sure precisely where I stand in the short term - I think that would depend on knowing the details of the contract with Winsford (i.e. if we are irrevocably tied in, then the short-term debate ought to be irrelevant, unless we want to join those clubs who routinely break contracts or renege on deals etc). Even if there are 'get-out clauses' I'm not sure (with due respect to Birtwisles) that a tea hut is going to bridge the financial gap - even if JR has claimed he made £300 per game from the tea bar. However, there are undoubtably other benefits from sharing at WP which would offset the costs - but I do not know the full figures for all the various cost and income elements.
Personally I wouldn't like to touch the BIN fund for a groundshare move - that is rather symbolic (given we are going to need a bit more than the current 10K) but it is an important symbol of a commitment, and while we can survive day to day without touching it, we should do just that.
Long term we need council support for football out this side of their jurisdiction, which is where anything they do for/with Chester has to be closely monitored. I am sure it is, by the Board. A shared community facility seems the best we could hope for. If they want us to demonstrate viability, I am sure we have more than done so.
I fear also that part of the problem for many fans is the lack of any real information, but this lack of information is sometimes due to a need for confidentiality in the early stages of any negotiations, be they with the council, local companies, or other football clubs. Yes we are co-owners, but we agree to delegate decision-making and negotiating on day-to-day matters to a Board that we elect. Although we have a right to call an EGM, for that there would need to be a specific resolution on the table - the owners could theoretically force a groundshare at WP by this means, but that might equally result in Board resignations because they didn't feel able to uphold that decision. And there can of course be a fans' meeting, but I suspect it may become a debate much like this thread, and end up not really getting anywhere, other than airing possibilities. Just postulating theories here.
In other words, I don't have an answer either ...

An excellent debate which is what it is all about, Lets try and keep our fanbase up as this way we will possibly have more say if any help/assistance did become available.
I have no doubt that our board is working as hard as it can for our club, It may take a while and there may be long periods when we don't get the information we would like buts please lets all stick at it.
See you all at Padiham Saturday.

Great discussion which was exactly what we needed. I can see both sides of this with the concern about the rent Witton would charge us and whether they would commit to a deal after what happened with Vics. But then, I am very worried about the constant postponements at Winsford which is doing nothing to sustain interest levels, attendances, performances on the pitch or the club's income. I'd definitely be in favour of either some form of negotiation with Witton on a ground share which we believe to be affordable and sustainable, or an agreement with Winsford to spend money on properly addressing the pitch problem. Hopefully, a meeting of some form can be arranged for all fans to discuss a possible way forward with this and to be given an update on how finding our own ground is progressing.

Last edited:
Back