• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Groundshare

I've said this before on here but it's probably worth bringing it up again. Witton were model landlords when we shared with them for our first 4 years in existence.

No I have no clue what they originally quoted you to play there, and we certainly weren't paying peanuts in rent. Witton have a magnificent facility for mid-level non league football and are always on the lookout for a viable tenent because their pitch can handle it well. And you get your money's worth. Witton fully staffed and operated the ground meaning our volunteers could do other things or enjoy the game. They also did things like kit management for us, so whenever we had a home game the kit would be washed, pressed and hung up ready for us without us having to do a tap!

Have you considered that they might have asked a hefty rate at the beginning because you had nothing to prove you were a sustainable entity. Now you have, and you might get a better rate on a longer term deal. You will definitely pay more than Winsford, probably double if not a touch more, but something else nobody mentions on here is the increase in attendances and commercial interest that actually playing in Northwich should bring.

When we finished at Witton we were pulling in avg of 110-130 hardy souls who could drive. Since our return to Runcorn we have averaged well over 300 each year with a good chunk of that children. Attracted local sponsors that wouldn't touch us in Northwich because it's no benefit to them, took on 35 kids teams, an academy team and a ladies team that play at the MLS.

Now I know it's slightly different because we moved to Runcorn into our own facility where as you would be moving to Northwich on a ground share, but this should lead to a big increase in supporters and commercial/sponsorship opportunities, hence helping you cover the rent. If you don't believe that then you should perhaps question the need to get a ground in Northwich of your own if it's just going to be for your 250 regulars that you currently attract.

Reactions: Ben
Steve, thanks for that. It is a bit different for us because of who we are and where we came from and I can tell you for certain that what you paid and what we were offered is/was a big difference. Especially as at the time we didn't know our fanbase and the original club were still playing.
All that said, we are where we are and we have agreements in place.
There will be a a fans meeting I'm sure at the end of this season to discuss the future.
See you all tomorrow at Padiham.

Steve, thanks for that. It is a bit different for us because of who we are and where we came from and I can tell you for certain that what you paid and what we were offered is/was a big difference. Especially as at the time we didn't know our fanbase and the original club were still playing.
All that said, we are where we are and we have agreements in place.
There will be a a fans meeting I'm sure at the end of this season to discuss the future.
See you all tomorrow at Padiham.
Chris, I dont think you are getting what Steve means. Move to Northwich and we will get more followers, that will pay for a higher rent. I'm not really convinced that Witton is for us but certainly gates will increase if we do get back to Northwich.
My frustration as Mr Woods knows is lack of information. I am sure that the board are doing things behind the scenes but we need to know more or the troops will become fed up with the same story all the time i.e. confidentiality etc.
We are 3 and a half years down the line now and what progress has been made? Tell us the options that are being pursued not the finer details. I am sure there are lots of opinions from our members/fans but are the board listening to them as this is the main topic on here.
Winsford has been great for us to get established but please lets not get settled into our armchairs!

Surely what we have seen again and again over recent years from Leeds to Portsmouth to Coventry to Bolton to Vics is the greatest sin in football is no longer giving the ball away as Brian Clough would have it , but spending more than you have and taking risky decisions on an unproven premise that things might happen that will pay the shortfall.
1874 was started precisely because of this so only a few years ago, so I for one am totally behind the Board taking a careful approach to financial commitments - we could lose all we have built up by a single false step.
Many of the ideas on here are good ones but they do not have to be implemented immediately ; they will be around in two years time, and hopefully we will have more than two weeks to change venues when this is sensible. It is very annoying when games are off, but it is not the end of the club.
Crowds come when teams win, so we should focus on creating a winning team for next season and leave the Board to follow avenues and report when there is something to say.

Alan, I understand exactly what Ste was saying. I was saying the circumstances at the moment are different. We can't move to Northwich anyway for at least two seasons as we have an agreement in place with Winsford. After that who knows. I'm sure we will no doubt have a members meeting at the end of the season to chew the fat and to look forward to the future and brainstorm how to publicise the club better.
At least we will be in mid Cheshire.

Crowds come when teams win, so we should focus on creating a winning team for next season and leave the Board to follow avenues and report when there is something to say.
True, crowds do come when teams win but having a winning team on that pitch and with constant postponements is difficult. I think Witton should be considered, as Runcorn Linnets ground shared with them for their first four years on much lower crowds. Look where they are now - they have their own ground and are looking good for promotion into the Evo-Stik Leagues. Sometimes to move on as a club, a risk is worth taking. You could argue that staying at Winsford is a risk in itself with the worry that crowds could plummet with another season of constant postponements.

Those suggesting a groundshare at Witton would do well to remember the most recent actions of their board.
They insisted on a confidentiality clause during previous negotiations in an attempt to play 1874 and jrfc off against each other and fleece as much money as they could from their 2 local rivals.
And what a way to kill off your rivals by ending a 3 year agreement after 10 months.
Only 1 more rival club to kill off - are you sure 1874 should be doing business with Witton?

It might be correct moving to Witton will bring in more fans,but nobody seems to be considering how many we might lose.

I still for the life of me can't understand why moss farm isn't the only serious option we have, short and long term.. It would attract young and old, many within walking distance. Local schools to attract the future supporters and players ,. distant car parking, good drainage.. I don't know how much floodlights and erecting some kind of decent fencing around the enclosed pitch would be for example ? But to me it's a no brainer! , we should be playing down there now!! Then developing for the future ..

I suspect that the Board is already on the Moss Farm case as we are a mutual society/co-operative society that status carries weight when dealing with Government or local bodies such as CWAC.

My experience is that these consultative issues take time but I certainly have my reservations about dealing with the "businessmen" who run Witton.

I don't get all this Witton killed off Vics stuff. Admittedly they knew what they were dealing with in Rushe, but he wasn't in the dock at the crown court back then. Rushe is toxic but it's all been rumour until now.

From the number of fans of 1874 I tal;k to and ref their comments in regard to any sharing at Witton only in one has said that they would support a move, let us not kid ourselves that such a move would not see support failing, IT WOULD. If they wanted to assist they would have done so then.

It is fact that what they asked for the sharing in the first instance was WAY above what we could afford. I would have no confidence in them being more sympathtic now !!.

I strongly see that the intended Moss Farm development is our way forward, if CWAC can support Chester FC in the way they do then they can suppprt a Community based endeaver !!.

I don't think we would lose fans if we were at Witton. We'd gain quite a few more fans, as we'd be closer to Northwich playing on a better playing surface which would encourage more attractive football and have far fewer games postponed. No one knows the ins and outs of the ground share agreement with Witton and Vics to say that Witton "killed Vics off". I think Vics have managed to do that themselves over a number of years. One thing I will say though is we can't use rivalry (sometimes fierce) with Witton get in the way of progress. Both ourselves and Witton need to be working together to secure there's a viable future for football in the town.

As anyone considered how many fans we could lose staying at winsford with no football for weeks at time and getting are own ground will not happen for a very long time and cwac help us out well there more of chance of rush paying his bills then that happening moss farm will not happen Because we will never get planning permission

Just a Question Tony,in a debate you need to see both sides of the coin otherwise whats the point of the debate.

How any seasons has football been affected by the sort of weather we are having, I canot recall any that compares with what we have currently. But at least we know that we still have the games to play hopefully when the Sun is shining !!..

Tony I can't speak for other people you would have to ask them,but there is one thing I know is there are some who would not go if we went to Witton.

Tony I can't speak for other people you would have to ask them,but there is one thing I know is there are some who would not go if we went to Witton.

Are people really that petty?

Reactions: Ben
Back