• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

ARE WITTON IN FREE FALL

Still can't believe that cwac could not release some land at moss farm for 74 and witton to make a ground to benefit the community, I know it was explained at the AGM but it's disappointing when you see what Chester get and what happens round here.
Somebody also said witton got £300 000 recently but this has all gone is that right and if so just out of interest where even though it's None of my business

Witton's windfall went primarily on paying off existing debts. Which is to be applauded.

A few dream and reality scenarios are emerging here;
- diminishing crowds on both sides = diminishing income: a reality
- currently sustainable with manageable costs for 1874: a reality
- currently finding costs unmanageable for WA: a reality
- sitting on a valuable asset in the form of their own ground for WA: a reality
- finding and building a new ground of our own: a dream
- getting support from a cash-strapped council with a bias towards Chester: a dream
- progressing far beyond current levels on current support for both: a dream

Not saying that dreams cannot become true, but they remain distant.
Whether any level of co-operation, collaboration, partnership or whatever you wish to call it is a dream or a reality depends ultimately on two sets of people - the owner/supporters of 74 and the owner/directors of WA. You cannot have any level of working together where one side is a reluctant partner, for whatever reason.

Personally, I cannot envisage a situation any time soon where 74 would consent to become tenants of WA, let alone the idea of merging the two clubs into one. Personally, I can see mileage in the idea of "buying in" to WA assets - though even that approach would require a fair bit of hard cash and as such belongs in the "dream" category at the moment. But that's all just "personally".

I don't think any options should be dismissed in advance of any possible conversations (I won't call them negotiations, we all know what happens when you dismiss options in advance of negotiations ... ;) )

Still can't believe that cwac could not release some land at moss farm for 74 and witton to make a ground to benefit the community, I know it was explained at the AGM but it's disappointing when you see what Chester get and what happens round here.

These decisions are not made by CWAC officers - they are made by elected Councillors.
You can find your local councillor here - http://cmttpublic.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/mgMemberIndex.aspx?FN=WARD&VW=LIST&PIC=0
Ask them about doing something for the football teams of this town.
If there are enough votes in it they may agree to support a proposal?

Last edited:
Reactions: Tez
Vic's can offer 74 nothing but problems I have not seen any reference to being an associate of them in any of the mail's to hand neither any reference to a merger with WA which I believe has never been suggested. We are not in any hurry to leave Winsford seems to be to the fore of 74ers thinking, but if any approach is made by WA to us then discussions could talk place with a view to a ground share then the owners can decide the next step.

Just a fact on 1874 gates compared to last season the average for the first 7 league gates is this season is 270 last season it was 225 an increase of 45.Inthe FA cup the home average is 370.The Vase home average is 266.So the fact is our gates are on the up in all competitions.

Just a fact on 1874 gates compared to last season the average for the first 7 league gates is this season is 270 last season it was 225 an increase of 45.Inthe FA cup the home average is 370.The Vase home average is 266.So the fact is our gates are on the up in all competitions.

We have GoBos attacking football to thank for that!

The fact is Alan our gates are on the increase,our income is not diminishing,in fact the 300 club is going from strength
to strength our advertising revenue is increasing,we have made the most we have ever made from the cup runs to date,and fundraising is on a par with other seasons,so can not understand where you get your figures from when you say(diminishing crowds and diminishing income a reality)this is clearly not factual in the case of 1874.

The fact is Toddy theres no way you will be able to buy your own ground and make it sustainable on average crowds of 270.
The majority of my friends who are 74 fans fully accept this and know that moving back to Northwich in the near future will not happen.
In reply to the comment regarding the green side of town bailing us out your words were not this time. Seeing you have nothing to do with your former club then yes to me that suggests youre referring to yourselves.

Last edited:
Charlieble we live with in our means also we don't just have income from the gates,unlike Witton (according to your Chairman),will we ever come to Northwich only time will tell.The truth is Witton are running at a loss,your only asset is the ground which is worth only a fraction of what it was,your nest egg has gone.The only way you are going is down it will not be to long before you are playing in The Dog And Duck league.

Toddy, I was taking a broader view on the diminishing crowds - the trend over time is going slightly down, and the longer the period of time the greater the drop in crowds. Like you, no doubt, I grew up with 4-figure gates as a relatively normal occurrence.

I didn't say our income was diminishing, I said diminishing crowds leads to diminishing income. There is a subtle difference. But actually, if you peruse the accounts you will see that, over the two years detailed in there, there is a very slight drop in overall income. Less than 2%, but still.

Charlieble we live with in our means also we don't just have income from the gates,unlike Witton (according to your Chairman),will we ever come to Northwich only time will tell.The truth is Witton are running at a loss,your only asset is the ground which is worth only a fraction of what it was,your nest egg has gone.The only way you are going is down it will not be to long before you are playing in The Dog And Duck league.
Absolute rubbish Toddy. Its a shame you don't have the same sensible outlook and realism that 90% of 1874 fans and 90% of Wittoners have in that both clubs will have to become closer one way or another to preserve any sort of decent standard of non league football in Mid Cheshire long term. PDW and Pete make the most sense by far from what I have read recently on this thread.

My word Paul when did you hold your poll,(90% of both sets of fans)that's very impressive.Paul read your post's before you press reply,then you will not look so silly.As for the clubs getting closer why would we want to alien ourselves with a sinking ship?.

My word Paul when did you hold your poll,(90% of both sets of fans)that's very impressive.Paul read your post's before you press reply,then you will not look so silly.As for the clubs getting closer why would we want to alien ourselves with a sinking ship?.
Just 184 against the league favourites the other night, if that doesn't concern you I don't know what will.

Read my previous post Paul of the over all picture.
Nest egg gone,club running at a loss and Chairman going,gates dropping that's when i'd be concerned Paul.:(

G
Time we 74 ers accept the facts as they are and not what we would wish them to be, our own ground is a "pipe dream" and we "oldies" accept that, if a Lottery winner came forward to buy land where would that same be ?, all land that would have been suitable to build on within the Northwich area has been bought previously by Developers so we have to accept that as fact and we know which option the CWAC would prefer and support !!.

That's just not true. There was land even mentioned at the AGM that was sold recently for less than we currently have in the bank.

What has become obvious though is that we will never buy any land that goes to auction. We're all volunteers, and the amount of due diligence needed to investigate land will never be done without sufficient notice.

Mark,
As also brought up at the AGM was the fact that the cost of buying land the cost of preparing the land for a football Stadium costs are NOT within the clubs ability, buying and preparing are another matter as was also said !!.

I think the bottom line here is that both clubs should be open to beginning meaningful dialogue which at least looks to exploring ways to support each other. Maybe that doesn't have to be merger, ground share or a rental agreement; maybe it could be, as others have suggested, a fundraiser which helps out a charitable organisation, thus raising the profile of both clubs and showing the general population of Northwich that we can have a positive partnership sometimes?

An excellent and pragmatic ‘one step at a time’ suggestion, Tez; with the potential of benefitting both clubs, as well as raising the profile of our respective clubs within Northwich, and possibly neighbouring areas.

I think the bottom line here is that both clubs should be open to beginning meaningful dialogue which at least looks to exploring ways to support each other. Maybe that doesn't have to be merger, ground share or a rental agreement; maybe it could be, as others have suggested, a fundraiser which helps out a charitable organisation, thus raising the profile of both clubs and showing the general population of Northwich that we can have a positive partnership sometimes?

Annual Supercup. Start using roman numerals like the Superbowl.
A charity chosen by each club to be represented for collections etc.
Sponsorship by lots of local businesses - shared 50/50 by the clubs.
When?? Last pre-season friendly for a reasonably meaningful encounter.
Where?? At Witton. Gate split right down the middle for the clubs.
Witton keep all bar profits but are magnanimous and allow both sets of clubs to run their half time draws.

Tinker away with the idea.....

Back