• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

ARE WITTON IN FREE FALL

I agree with the caution, Blackie and Tez. I also think the club needs to be ambitious, but I agree that the deal has to be right for us - we should definitely be talking to them though.

I agree with the caution, Blackie and Tez. I also think the club needs to be ambitious, but I agree that the deal has to be right for us - we should definitely be talking to them though.

I’ve no problem with dialogue, it doesn’t commit us to anything. Our friends and landlords at Winsford might feel a little let down however? While we have been excellent hard working tenants, who have without doubt contributed positively to the physical infrastructure, Winsford have also played their part by allowing us to rent their facilities in the first place. We should not overlook the fact the situation is a two way street - just saying :)

Winsford have known all along our intention has been to return to Northwich, and as you say, they have done well out of us. Let the cautious dialogue begin I say - if nothing comes of it at least it was an avenue explored.

Any possible share with w*tton won't obviously significantly boost attendances straight away but will give us much more of a chance to do so in the future, staying at winsford means crowds will at best stay where they are and may even start to decrease if people start to see a lack of ambition, if w*tton were sensible with any offer its something we would have to think about.

If you were a casual football fan in Northwich and you saw an advertisement for a game at w*tton and one at Winsford you would more than likely go to w*tton than travel to Winsford and so being back close to the town gives us a chance to properly promote ourselves to local residents

Last edited:
;)
If you were a casual football fan in Northwich and you saw an advertisement for a game at w*tton and one at Winsford you would more than likely go to w*tton than travel to Winsford and so being back close to the town gives us a chance to properly promote ourselves to local residents

You’d be in the pub watching Premier League football on tv ..... and therein lies the problem for all three clubs ;)

;)

You’d be in the pub watching Premier League football on tv ..... and therein lies the problem for all three clubs ;)
Nail on the head Tez. Either that or finger on sky tv remote in comfort of their own home.

I wouldn't trust being in a renting situation with Witton. Buying into the ground is the only option i'd like to see explored (preferably 50/50), gives assurances of a place to play without having the rug pulled from beneath our feet, as long as the other party stay solvent.
We will see an increase to our overheads and operating costs but Witton would see this reduce from their side which for financial longevity makes sense. We would be their main competition for trying to attract new fans from the growing population of Northwich and the surrounding area and many in their fanbase would rather we remain where we are than share, that's been made clear previously.
It is certainly worth exploring to see if this has potential or not.....

I see that Witton have just cancelled the free minibus from Northwich town centre to Wincham because few people were using it and there were no new fans. It makes you wonder whether being "in Northwich" or as the rest of us call it Wincham is really such a major issue after all?

While not dismissing the idea out of hand - always assuming Witton were interested in entering into meaningful dialogue and on balance the majority of ‘74 members and supporters too (both of which are not a foregone conclusion here) - we do also have to bear in mind that even in our most successful period in our previous life :eek: we didn’t really pull the crowds in playing out in Wincham. Aside of their initial first season in the Conference (and correct me if i’m wrong here) neither have Witton really? Realistically Is Wincham too far out, too difficult to access for most casual supporters?

I think there is a worry for all of non league football really look at the crowds and the way they are falling off. It seems that unless, with a super rich individual pumping funds in and promising "football league in five years" there really isn't the hope of better things. We have the situation of having been promoted and crowd numbers GOING DOWN which you really could not imagine happening surely! Long term sustainability has to be the aim as the private funding or "chucking money at it/living the dream" will always be doomed to failure. Premiership games on Sky and BT Sport are being spread out to more and more days of the week and that is adversely affecting many clubs lower down the pyramid. It really is becoming more and more difficult for us all to compete with the hundreds of millions sloshing about "up there" and I fear the worst for the future!

It’s a struggle for a lot of non-league clubs i’m afraid. Unfortunately we are all a bit guilty of looking back at gates historically, with the misguided notion that those days will come again if we succeed on the field. Sadly the world has moved on and the football fix people seek is via the Sky/BT box or computer.

It was said when we formed 74 that we WOULD always be run within our means, our Committee will ensure that we do so !!.

Ideal scenario is a new ground at moss farm shared with Witton and the community, lots of councils around the country would be interested and help but not ours
Does anybody know what deal Chester get on a council owned ground

Not sure what it is now but was £22000 per annum, could have increased since then. But !, this was an ALL IN cost

Ideal scenario is a new ground at moss farm shared with Witton and the community, lots of councils around the country would be interested and help but not ours
Does anybody know what deal Chester get on a council owned ground
Phil. I enquired of CWAC under the freedom of information act some 4 years ago. The rent received by the Council for the Deva Stadium was then about £500 per week, although this may have altered now. It appeared to me that this was a ludicrously small sum for all the facilities on the complex , especially when we were being asked for a sum per game from Witton of about 3 and a half times this sum. I spoke to a lady at CWAC and she said that the rent was "proscribed" by Government (ie fixed) and could not be changed. I believe that this fits nicely with CWAC's bias towards the Easterly end of the County, their desire to see Chester FC back in the Football League and the reason why we seem to get little support for our endeavours to get a ground in Northwich. If I am wrong, perhaps our Local Councillors could explain what they are doing to ensure fair play in their dealings with non league football clubs in the East and West of CWAC.

Ideal scenario is a new ground at moss farm shared with Witton and the community

Unfortunateley won't happen, I think this was ruled out at the AGM?. Don't forget that Vics will be on the hunt for a ground also and would want in. Other alternatives need to be explored rather than an 'all the eggs in one basket' mindset.

I do agree that location would have been spot on if you could get over the objections from residents of the Pippins that would surely be raised, but I think it's a none starter.

The only ‘real’ possibility of a team making profit would be to have all three amalgamate and provide one town team!....and given all the arguments and compromises that would require we all know that would never happen!

The only ‘real’ possibility of a team making profit would be to have all three amalgamate and provide one town team!....and given all the arguments and compromises that would require we all know that would never happen!
Blackie - in all the years I've seen your comments about various topics this is the first time I've agreed with you!

All Clubs outside the Premier League are suffering from ageing fans, lack of money, lack of interest, easy access to football in the pub/from your armchair & with there not being many young supporters coming through the gate the future isn't bright.
Speaking with a Crewe Alex fan earlier today they are also suffering from all of the above.
GE

How long were Linnets in ground limbo before Cheshire West helped them out? How much did their land cost or was it free?

Back