• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

ARE WITTON IN FREE FALL

I remember when Witton moved to Wincham and the loss of a ground within 'walking distance' of many fans was replaced by a car journey and that was a concern. When Vics moved there (irrespective of other issues) the move away from town was a concern again. That has proved to be ongoing ever since.
A shared ground back 'in town' would probably benefit both teams - but by how many?
The world has moved on a long way in terms of football watching habits as said above. 50 or 100 to each club? A boost to income yes, but life changing? No.
In addition there would have to be a proven benefit for the wider community in order to get significant support from local authority. That might mean eg a running track around the pitch. Ever watched football in that environment? It's deadly. I went to West Ham last season and it still dampened the atmosphere with a big crowd because everything is so distant. If it's a shared ground then, largely for what fans would want, it needs to be funded mostly by the clubs.
Within the local football culture there is a major stumbling block. A large proportion of both fan bases (perhaps more within Witton's at the moment due to the experience of the Vics/74 split and the reality that came with it) will resist anything that is perceived to benefit the other club.
There needs to be more cooperation between both clubs for the benefit of local football as a whole as that will have a positive knock on effect to individual clubs. At the moment I think victory is seen as being on the end of the Titanic that sinks last as that way you can see others drown first.
Larger joint fund raising efforts would be a start as they would be supported by both sets of fans. Same cost for staging but bigger overall receipts. That needs to be led by the fans with input but not control, from respective boards. That way you break down historic and useless prejudices that serve no one well in this day and age.
Working constructively together gives some hope for the future but sadly I think pigs will learn to fly first.

Last edited:
I think of more practical concern is the respective legal status of the Witton and Vics and 1874.
1874 is a co-operative organisation run by the Committee elected by the Members whilst adhering to strict organisational and financial rules and regulations and in that structure is the ability to access community funding and Lottery grants for the "greater good"
Witton is an organisation dedicated to certain directors private profit.
Vics? Who knows
Co-operation is certainly a "good thing" but what do Witton and Vics have to offer 1874?

The post above says "both" - I don't think you'll find many fans either side of the 74/WA divide suggesting offering any form of further lifeline or co-operative venture to JGFC.

Correct Alan M no one in football ought to be thinking of offering ANYTHING to Vics.

I must point out that as a shareholder at Witton I'm not aware of any directors taking private profit out of the club. Our recent windfall land sell on money was partly used to furnish some loans (interest free) made by former directors and by supporters to keep the club going and pay off 100% of our debt under our 100% CVA (Vics of course paid NOT ONE SINGLE PENNY of their 37% CVA) so to say that we are a "organisation dedicated to certain directors private profit" IS WRONG and I had to take issue with that erroneous statement.

The post above says "both" - I don't think you'll find many fans either side of the 74/WA divide suggesting offering any form of further lifeline or co-operative venture to JGFC.
Too much deep rooted prejudice, suspicion and mistrust shared between both ‘74 and Witton fans for there to be any chance of a partnership beyond a few forum words. ...... As for any association with Vics? That ship sailed after Rushe’s “words”at the Winnington Rec meeting, which made up the minds for the many and left the few making some poor choices.

Apologies 'both' refers only to Witton and 1874. I actually never thought of Vics when writing it!! How times change.

I have to say Tez that personally I can't see any reason for any prejudice, suspicion and mistrust between us and 1874, no reason for it. Knockabout banter for sure but no nastiness (on my part anyway).

Wittonwonder.
I stand corrected, but I still think that there is a fundamental legal difference between 1874 and Witton which would prove difficult to bridge, although I am all for an initiative to raise the profile of local football against the celebrity, show-business and amoral activities which characterize the Premier League and FIFA.

I still believe the potential is there for reasonable crowds; I disagree that this ship has sailed. I also disagree that there has been a massive change in social behaviour. The national league pulls in far higher attendances than the old Conference used to. I think the problem is apathy in OUR town. The ongoing car crash that is Vics put an awful lot of people off; my belief is that they can be tempted back. A decent team, run the right way, playing in Northwich could attract reasonable attendances. I’m not going over-board here, I’m not talking about crowds of 1000, but is 600 achievable? I reckon so.
Why hasn’t it happened for Witton? No offence but apart from a couple of years in the early 90s they have never managed to garner much enthusiasm from the town. Possibly because they don’t have the town in their name.

I have to say Tez that personally I can't see any reason for any prejudice, suspicion and mistrust between us and 1874, no reason for it. Knockabout banter for sure but no nastiness (on my part anyway).
Okay maybe a moot point ;) Personally I do think that something has to give and at some point sensible constructive dialogue needs to happen. Looking forward, neither club can rely on the Mid-Cheshire populouse to boost the coffers through the gate. Working together in some form or another (maybe a joint charity initiative could be a good starting point?) must be better than waiting with bated breath for the other to slip up on and off the field. Neither are likely to profit from the demise the other in my opinion.

Wittonwonder.
I stand corrected, but I still think that there is a fundamental legal difference between 1874 and Witton which would prove difficult to bridge, although I am all for an initiative to raise the profile of local football against the celebrity, show-business and amoral activities which characterize the Premier League and FIFA.
There is absolutely no reason why both clubs can't cooperate it doesn't involve any binding agreement or change of constitution.
No LOGICAL reason I agree but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I’m not going over-board here, I’m not talking about crowds of 1000, but is 600 achievable? I reckon so.
There will be inconsistencies between leagues (and look at the make up of the National League with bigger clubs dropping down and boosting gates) but overall non league crowds are falling. Even before the Vics disaster the home part of the gates were usually no more than 600 give or take a few and that is now a good few years ago.
If both teams (WA and 74) are to survive at a meaningfull level something has to change. Decent cup tie for 74 and WA still well up the league against a good in form team last Saturday - total gate 485. Hanley would have been joint top if they won last night and we still have that ambition. Gate 184.
It's a depressing picture in the long term and whilst both clubs will have some good times they will probably be outweighed by the leaner times.
Back to my original point, working together on some bigger fundraising would be a start and not only for the finances.

Being a relatively new club we have less of a 'chip' to get over.
Wi**on , on the other hand, have the likes of CJ, WHS and other similar supporters who think they are way above having anything to do with us and who think our demise and vi*s would cure all their problems and have all the crowds rushing to back watch them solving all their short doings.
Its antiquated views likes these that will see them struggling to survive and the possibility of any joint venture or any kind an impossibility

How can you work with people who call you slime and scum?.

The title of this thread is are Witton in free fall,the answer is yes,and is of their own making and is up to them to put their own house in order.They were prepared to get into bed with Mr Rushe and his money,and we all know where that came from.We at 1874 are making our way trying to do it the right way(working hard and trying to help our community}so lets concentrate on that.We all can help in the progress of OUR club,so let the other clubs look to themselves and we will after 1874.

Im sorry Toddy but couldnt disagree with you more.
Yes there are Witton fans who will never accept you because of who you were and who you supported.
Your take on Witton Albion is no different. The points made by your fellow 74 fans are very constructive and admirable.
For both clubs to survive there needs to be a amicable solution. Remember we own our ground within Northwich. If your ultimate aim is to return to Northwich at your own ground and survive youre going to need a lot bigger crowds than youre getting.

Your ground is not in Northwich Charliebel,and the fact is you can not attract people there even with a good side.We don't need Witton and never will,we have a different road to tread.The green side of Northwich have bailed you out in the past,not this time stand on your own two feet for once,we will.

You think what you you want Toddy. I geniually think you're in the minority with your thoughts.
At no point has anyone mentioned 74 bailing us out why would we. We have what you desire so badly, our own ground.
The vast majority of your own fans have been open to negotiation and accept that you owning your own ground is a distant realisation due to factors already mentioned.
You carry on and criticise us but the truth is I doubt it will get you anywhere

Where in my post did I say 1874 ever bailed you out Charlieble,I said the green side of town so please stick to the facts.how do you know what the vast majority think I don't.The one thing I do know is the fans I have spoken to would only consider 1874 having a equal share in your ground,as two separate clubs,both clubs sharing the cost and each club having it's own identity.We are managing financially and have a good working relationship with Winsford.If we had decided to play at Witton on a rental agreement we would been broke in 5 years.This is my opinion and I only speak for myself others can speak for themselves.The one thing that is certain,the fans of our club will get a vote then we will see what the vast majority think.

Would not trust Witton one bit as landlords. Not again.

Like toddy said 50/50 ownership of a drowns only option here

Gents,

Time we 74 ers accept the facts as they are and not what we would wish them to be, our own ground is a "pipe dream" and we "oldies" accept that, if a Lottery winner came forward to buy land where would that same be ?, all land that would have been suitable to build on within the Northwich area has been bought previously by Developers so we have to accept that as fact and we know which option the CWAC would prefer and support !!.

For myself under NO circumstances should we get into a "lease" situation with WA, a 50/50 ground share with each side pulling their weight for the betterment of football within the area could be a solution, the 74 Committee have the PROFESSIONAL experience to deal with any negotiations that COULD arise if requested to do so by the owners of the club, and that future is with the owners, but again we are not in any rush to move from Winsford and I think that any development is not our priority but should be if an acceptable offer to share came forthwith !!.

Back