• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

linnets away

Another game to talk about referees!

I thought the team deserved at least a point but the fact is their niavity got the better of them.

Ward always reacts and is often an incident waiting to happen, he needs to calm this side if his game down. I was on the opposite side so didnt see the incident as well as others but would agree the cheating number 7 should of been in trouble too.

Van Brandon was MOM by a country mile. I was disappointed with Stewart and Welstead. Ward was not in the game. What Ian sees in Bayley is beyond me, he looks lethargic and unfit. Gave away and poor penalty and lost his man for the 3rd.

The final question would be, where were the subs? What were the management thinking?

I admire what linnets have achieved at the Milbank, but it is a lifeless ground, impossible to get a proper atmosphere going. The BS has a low roof, it creates more of an atmosphere and has more character.

Comments like this and the one above it are not new if I'm honest and I can see where people are coming from.

But there are things that need to be considered. Firstly is that we went from nothing to a ground in Runcorn in 4 years. There are features now that weren't there originally and the pitch, clubhouse building and changing rooms were existing buildings that were upgraded by supporters. And despite this the cost of our ground was £250k.

We could have waited longer to try and get a "prettier" ground, but what's the point? It more then serves its purpose and has a fantastic pitch.

And the ground is in no way finished. Over the coming years there will be more cover, more seating, more catering etc etc. Its a long term project that never really ends.

The issue of character comes up regular especially with our lovely neighbours. They play in an old, quirky mish mash ground that does have loads of character and a ground I really like going to. But character is extremely difficult to build from new. There are comparisons above to Winsford, but that grounds very old. No doubt the low roof cover you mention probably wouldn't meet modern building regs.

Be honest here, if you had the choice of the Millbank in 2.5 years time or continue playing at Winsford what would you choose?

Mill bank is the type of set up the club needs to aspire to, but this will obviously take some considerable time and effort. Unfortunately all new grounds lack that certain something, but it goes with the territory. Given the choice between watching a game at the BS or Millbank though? Millbank would win hands down; sorry if that hurts anyone's sensibilities.

I thought the ground was fine - and I'd definitely rather us play somewhere like that than at BS.

The pitch wasn't as good as it first looked - incredibly bobbly - but in terms of avoiding postponements and getting games played - excellent for this level of football.

There's no doubt in my mind that the BS pitch has played a massive part in us being off the pace now.

Everybody knows that the BS pitch is shocking but what is going to be done about it??

A question that I couldn't get out of my head yesterday. How come hardly any of you guys stand behind the goals? It was strange to see so many of you crammed into the sides and nobody behind the goals. Usually hehind the nets is the busiest bit of the ground, of most grounds for that matter!

It was chuffin' freezing behind the goal for a start!

Good question - I thought a few more would have joined us in the first half under the cover.
2nd half was probably a bit exposed - not having a pop at the ground I'd be more than happy if we could have that sort of set up.

A question that I couldn't get out of my head yesterday. How come hardly any of you guys stand behind the goals? It was strange to see so many of you crammed into the sides and nobody behind the goals. Usually hehind the nets is the busiest bit of the ground, of most grounds for that matter!
Comes down to habit of watching football at B.S. plus you get a much better overall veiw from the side, especially if no terraces are available behind goals.
My view on Millbank, just what we need.
If you can get more colour around the ground and provide better cover it will be superb for this level.
As far as atmosphere, fans create atmosphere. More singing,chanting and buy a drum !!!

Agree with Steve much better view from half way line not sure what the big fuss about is being behind the goal Wittoners said that aswell only decent behind the goal for penalties and corners thats it dont catch all the other decisions say in midfield play.

Everybody knows that the BS pitch is shocking but what is going to be done about it??
Josh, what can be done now? Its still raining and football is being played on it, the pitch at the start of the season was really good, the best its been in a very long time, the bad weather and the season needs to end before something can be done mate!

Patience...

Right...

All Ive seen about this game is talk about the red cards and how it spoiled it for 1874, which it did, BUT you also have to remember, we were being pushed further and further back in our own half at 2-2, it was a 11 v 11 when they equalised,

I want to give praise to our lads, who knew about the massive points difference between us and Linnets, but still went and gave it a proper go, unlike many a team would of done,

Thought all the lads were excellent, don't like to single players out, BUT, Adam Bayley, was brilliant at the back, he lead the backline as a proper defender should alongside Mitch, DT and Ducko, made some crucial interceptions and was very unlucky to give away the penalty,

Neil Chappell and Matt Woolley were excellent in midfield controlled the game and set the tempo,

Last but not least, a mention for Mike Brandon, I read in the guardian that his Wife likes to cut out the stories when her husband gets mentioned in the paper to keep for their daughter, she surely got another one to cut out on Saturday, Mike played his part of a lone striker perfectly, he held the ball up well, made some key passes to get moves started, scored two goals, the second was brilliantly taken, most of all, Mike wont mind me saying this, HE IS 34 and he runs more than ANY player that I have seen for years, from the first whistle to the last he never stopped and dominated their back line, absolute '74 LEGEND

Always take the positives from situations, onwards and upwards!

The team need to take a long look at the negatives, turn them into positives to move onwards and upwards.

"What Ian sees in Bayley is beyond me, he looks lethargic and unfit. Gave away and poor penalty and lost his man for the 3rd".

I couldn't disagree more regarding Adam Bayley looking "unfit and lethargic". As far as I'm concerned he had his best match (by far) for 1874, especially if you take account the quality of the opposition. He won most of his aerial battles, as well as intercepting / winning the ball, and intelligently playing the ball out of defence. Together with DT they formed a solid central defence partnership, enabling Mitch to revert to his full back role. Let's hope Danny and Adam become 1874's regular centre back pairing and can further develop a good mutual understanding.

As far as Bayley's involvement in the penalty award, and the deciding goal, I was not close to the action so cannot objectively comment. But I do acknowledge the views of others around me that the 1874 player didn't need to make the challenge that led to the penalty award. But there again in the heat of the moment in a tense situation where the opposition are throwing everything (bar the 'kitchen sink') at you, it's easy to criticise an isolated lapse, especially when that leads to the opposition scoring.

I agree with Richard, thought Adam played really well and is impressing me more and more, however I think he would agree that the challenge for the penalty was rash and in the heat of the moment.

Well isn't it good to be talking football.

I stood near some polite Runcorn fans next to their dug out and can just say they were a credit to their club. Very welcoming and enjoyed some good well spirited inter changes with them.

MY view on the game was it was a great advertisement for local football at this level. 74 gave Linnets a fright and that is great for a 2 yr old club.

Player wise I would have to agree with 1874eva, for me Bailey is not yet up to the job in question, I am not saying he wont be in future but looks as though he needs time. Silly tackle at the wrong time and poor defending on the 3rd goal. Other than that he defended everything that was threw at the back 4 and all 4 of them deserve credit and praise for that.

The team has to improve the discipline, it has not been addressed thoroughly enough for me. Ward often over steps the mark with it and for his brilliance can always cost us with ill discipline.

Still we move on to St Helens and hopefully a more simpler game

Adam Bayley is a great defender, never seen him have a bad game.

But this happens on this forum, people will pick out an excellent player and criticise for no reason. Same happened with Tandy, he was a great player and some people on here were adamant otherwise.

I dont think its about picking on players Andy, I think its opinions. I'm sure we all have different opinions on players, I'm sure Ian and his management team have a different opinion to us fans. Thats whats great about the sport.

Tandy wasn't a great player to slow for a winger give you he had a decent delivery but never beat 2 many defenders was to easy for them.

Back