• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Colls today

Agree with the above. I think we run into the risk of being 'too nice', especially on here where any form of criticism is frowned upon. I don't want to be militant or disrespectful to the management team, I just think it should be discussed. There are enough people saying they are not enjoying the experience of games for it to be an issue.

Surely there's no poster's coming on here with ulterior motive's Tez.

There have also been poor performances (in particular at home) against Colne, AFC Liverpool and Congleton

The other two losses - totalling 5 in a 25-game season so far being against Colls and Squires Gate.

I think that in all of these game we've conceded at least 3, which to me adds weight to the argument that there's no plan B. Once things start going belly-up we're not very good at turning the tide. I'll leave comments on plan A to others.

(Four of five losses at home.)

But... I'm pretty confident that if we'd somehow squeaked a 1-0 win in a couple of those league games leaving us just off RT with a game in hand and had battled hard in a dour 1-0 win yesterday then people wouldn't be quite so disappointed. It's natural that losses get the emotions running more than wins do but a management change, now? I wouldn't do it.

A formation change? When plan A isn't working - yes definitely!

That's just my opinion. I don't think it's the case that "negative" opinions about the football side are discouraged. Someone trying to be positive is doing just that and they are as equally entitled to their opinion.

On that note... for the record, the home attendances on Saturdays about this time last year were 230-odd. One of them coincidentally against Colls. Not a lot has changed.

We shouldn't be happy and settle with crowds of 230-280 though in my opinion. In the past we have got 350 in midweek, that's 100 fans we've lost, and that's concerning. The second you start becoming complacent is when you hit problems- if attendances fall further because the core support begins to get fed up of the boring football, and our attendances drop below 200 we are starting to have big issues. Something needs to change somewhere or we are in serious trouble as a club, and that's the reality of the situation we find ourselves in.

Reactions: Ben
I been watching the programme about Magician's was expecting to see you on it 100 showing us how to be at two different football ground's at the same time.

It would be great to get more fans in. Playing sparkling footy will only part address that. It's not the whole reason why 100 people no longer come regularly.

230-280. It's realistic taking in to consideration other factors. We live in a real world.

One important thing to remember after yesterday. The world hasn't ended and is unlikely to in the near future.
'74' are growing up and like anyone or anything else that means leaving the fun and novelty of the successful 'childhood' largely behind and accepting different responsibilities. Reality is now kicking in big time and whilst most things said above are important and relevant this is the norm for most football clubs.
Some were always going to drop out along the way and I think I'm right in saying current gates are still in excess of what was budgeted for originally.
All the above points need to be examined and, where applicable and possible, addressed and changed.Promotion remains a real possibility and in the long run the important goal.
We now have to deal more with lower football reality and that will take time to adapt to.

Well it isnt, this has been explained to Tez via PM.

Then I am sure Tez will attend to it (he probably isn't on here 24/7).

We shouldn't be happy and settle with crowds of 230-280 though in my opinion. In the past we have got 350 in midweek, that's 100 fans we've lost, and that's concerning. The second you start becoming complacent is when you hit problems- if attendances fall further because the core support begins to get fed up of the boring football, and our attendances drop below 200 we are starting to have big issues. Something needs to change somewhere or we are in serious trouble as a club, and that's the reality of the situation we find ourselves in.

I would contest any view that says the Board (for it is ultimately they who can do anything about it) are necessarily "happy" with lower attendances, or that they are "complacent" about it all. Or indeed that those who disagree with other people's opinions on here are complacent or happy. As this thread has shown, there is a general agreement on the subject of falling attendances (maybe not on the extent of the fall, though - I think a blanket 100 is a bit high), but a whole range of views on why this has happened, plus various solutions put forward as suggestions to improve the attendances.
Criticism of opposing views is also evident from all sides, it is not one-way traffic, but that is the nature of the beast - we are an independent fans' forum and if we all thought the same it would be a boring place. It is a healthy debate (but not really helped by people complaining that other people don't agree with their point of view and claiming that you aren't allowed to post critical comments), and I am also sure that it is being noticed and noted by all those who represent the club in official capacities.

I have a suggestion to stop any misunderstanding why not make it a condition that if you post on here you should use your real name and not hide behind alias's,surely if you have opinion's you should not be afraid to put your name to them.Also it will stop people coming on here trying to cause mischief.So if it's democracy let's have a vote on it,real names only can vote that's how democracy work's.

I take your point, Toddy, but I also think the right to anonymity and to use a pseudonym is an important one on the internet. People shouldn't be forced to use their real names if they don't want to. It's no surprise some people don't want to use their real names when they are criticised on here for expressing what is deemed to be a 'negative' opinion.

Time to move on now lads, big game at Padiham this Saturday coming up. The management and team need our full support.

Think Andy, Callum and the rest have spoken out and highlighted some key issues, which are now down to everyone to rectify. But would I would like to appeal to Kit, GreenKev and everyone else who no longer attends, just to give the lads another chance and get your love back for watching the Greens!

Stick by the club,through the good and the bad! Up the 74!

Last edited:
I have a suggestion to stop any misunderstanding why not make it a condition that if you post on here you should use your real name and not hide behind alias's,surely if you have opinion's you should not be afraid to put your name to them.Also it will stop people coming on here trying to cause mischief.So if it's democracy let's have a vote on it,real names only can vote that's how democracy work's.
Makes sense to me Toddy. Always thought that this should be the case.
If I disagree with anyone, I will tell them Face to face, and they can argue their point with me.
Can't do that if I don't know who they are.

The other two losses - totalling 5 in a 25-game season so far being against Colls and Squires Gate.

I think that in all of these game we've conceded at least 3, which to me adds weight to the argument that there's no plan B. Once things start going belly-up we're not very good at turning the tide. I'll leave comments on plan A to others.

(Four of five losses at home.)

But... I'm pretty confident that if we'd somehow squeaked a 1-0 win in a couple of those league games leaving us just off RT with a game in hand and had battled hard in a dour 1-0 win yesterday then people wouldn't be quite so disappointed. It's natural that losses get the emotions running more than wins do but a management change, now? I wouldn't do it.

A formation change? When plan A isn't working - yes definitely!

That's just my opinion. I don't think it's the case that "negative" opinions about the football side are discouraged. Someone trying to be positive is doing just that and they are as equally entitled to their opinion.

On that note... for the record, the home attendances on Saturdays about this time last year were 230-odd. One of them coincidentally against Colls. Not a lot has changed.
You're right, Nicki. I've seen us play well in a number of games also and our league record is a decent one, plus the fact we're in three cups. So all is not negative and I will always praise the lads and management on here when they play well. But yesterday and in a couple of other games, this hasn't been the case. I'm not personally one of the fans who thinks we need a change of management, but rather someone who'd like to see the manager change his tactics and style of play to get the best out of the great bunch of lads we do have. As for attendances, they're certainly down and there's a number of reasons for that, certainly performances such as the one yesterday and in other games I've referred to aren't going to help our gates. I'd like to see us get 300+ on a Saturday and 250 at least in midweek. I appreciate this won't be easy but we should always be aiming to get more fans through the gates, not that I'm saying volunteers at the club aren't already making efforts to do this!

I take your point, Toddy, but I also think the right to anonymity and to use a pseudonym is an important one on the internet. People shouldn't be forced to use their real names if they don't want to. It's no surprise some people don't want to use their real names when they are criticised on here for expressing what is deemed to be a 'negative' opinion.
I use my own name and have had somone who didn't know me say "so your blackie" and give me a look when they've heard my name mentioned, because I have an opinion!
Personally I don't give a hoot, I pay my money and have a right to an opinion, but I can understand those not so thicker skinned wanting to remain unknown!
There are a lot on here "too close" to the club in terms of what they do to ever have a negative view no matter what they think. Doesn't mean people should not have their view (provided it's put the right way!).

Agreed.
I seem to recall "real names" was championed by Tony several moons ago. Not the easiest thing to enforce if we want to remain a place where everyone who has a view feels they can epress it. But then those who choose the cloak of anonymity have to accept that others may react to their views differently if they don't know who they are talking to. Everyone has a view, and some will for a variety of reasons want to defend their own view more forcibly than others, including perhaps being closer to "officialdom" in some way. Again, the nature of the beast.

Ben, as you indicate at the end of your last post, I don't think there is anyone who is even remotely connected with 1874 who wouldn't "like to get" those attendances or who hasn't given some thought to how to get to that point. We are all ultimately interested in the club progressing and being successful.

Back