• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Colls today

We have to get back to Northwich, even if it's a pitch with a fence, a concrete path around and a cheap modular stand. I agree Nicki, the soulless Winsford ground helps no-one, supporters or players. Just concreting behind the goals so people could stand there would help.

We're just going to have to be patient I think. Getting back to Northwich will take time.

Nothing wrong with the type of ground you describe. It'd be home. Down here, Biggleswade (formed in 1874 and playing in green) in the SPL Premier Division have a pretty rudimentary ground of that type but it's fine.

I remember earlier in the season when we played up at Colls in the cup, I didn't go but my mates that did said they are a very good outfit and would be surprised if they didn't win your league. As for Witton today it was a pleasure to watch and was a deserved win against Kettering (though we left it late!).

I think that's a blessing and a curse. NWCFL is not Conference standard football - we've been uniquely spoiled too. Admittedly it's not Conference prices either. We we were paying £10.50 (only Connett would add 50p!) to watch Vics as long ago as 2006 so £6 on the face of it would seem like good value.

I do (really) agree that performances don't help but I think that represents noise on something more fundamental. I don't know what that is. Perhaps a combination of things... out of Northwich, slightly soul-less ground, declining attendances generally (sure there are exceptions), people tightening their belts, people still thinking we're Vics.... etc.

Who knows? We could try asking the question.

There are multiple contributing factors. And there are people who put off by the level we're at. But at the end of the day, they are people that are interested in watching their local team. Most people aren't too concerned really about the standard, however. The most important thing is the entertainment factor.

The souless ground is a probably another factor, and it is deafly silent at times at our games, but in all fairness, there isn't an awful lot to get excited about.

You're right again about being out of Northwich, even news on whats being done will be enough to stoke up interest and get people talking.

But ultimately, if you offer people something that will entertain them for just £6, They will come.

Nothing wrong with the type of ground you describe. It'd be home. Down here, Biggleswade (formed in 1874 and playing in green) in the SPL Premier Division have a pretty rudimentary ground of that type but it's fine.

So do Poole down here (Conf South). It's like Lostock with a stand. ;)

I'm of the multitude of factors persuasion, but I do think that being out in Winsford combined with having dropped to a lower level of football (in the minds of local folk who might have an interest - of which I'm not sure there are that many in the first place) are the key internal factors, neither of which are that conducive to attracting legions of young fans raised on wall-to-wall football on the sofa (external factor).

Incidentally someone said higher up this thread that Colls are "beatable" - well, given their record so far this season not many teams have proved that assessment correct. Maybe we are not giving them enough credit and lumping all the blame at our own door. I wasn't there, obviously, so I wouldn't presume to comment on performance, but the impression I have formed from reading the contemporaneous twitter feeds and shoutbox comments plus the comments in this thread is that they must have had one hell of a half-time team talk - and that we seem to "freeze" on "big" occasions.

Not an attempt at point scoring here; genuine question, does it not frustrate you that despite having a pretty successful season so far and attractive opposition today, the gate was still lower than your recent efforts deserve?
Feel free to yawn if you wish ;)
Yes it is frustrating. personally I'm not bothered if we get more or less support than you. I'm only interested in what's best for WAFC as I'm sure you are only interested in all things 1874. personally we both need to try and attract fans into to grounds.if winning teams don't do it I'm sure that having pot shots at each other isn't going to do it either. personally I think the leagues we are in that the attendances will stay the same. .

All I'll say on today is that when Mark Jones plays centre half we not only play better football out from the back but we look a lot more solid. He should be starting there every week. Thought Joe Woolley looked good when he came on too, he needs to start every game from now on.

I forgot about Poole! It also has a square pitch!
And unless it has changed much, very rudimentary facilities (clubhouse two years ago was a freight container(?) & changing rooms not much better) and land which belongs to the council or the LEA - Alan?

And unless it has changed much, very rudimentary facilities (clubhouse two years ago was a freight container(?) & changing rooms not much better) and land which belongs to the council or the LEA - Alan?

"Very rudimentary" is a compliment. Not much has changed. It's been "developed" (for want of a better word) on what was part of a school field, and is on a fairly short lease I believe. The school want it back, the residents moan about "crowds" (400-ish) and the council are very unsupportive. I find it a soulless experience whenever I drag myself down there. SLBS is like Anfield on a European night by comparison.

I think they realise it is only semi-permanent, "till something better comes along" but there is little sign this will happen any time soon - they still have the "new" edge-of-town stadium proposals from 2010 featured on their website, but nothing at all about their current home, and rumours a few years ago of a return to Poole Stadium in the town centre, of speedway fame, came to nothing either. Those rumours have turned more recently into short-lived rumours that AFC Bournemouth were eying the same site for development - if that happened Bmth would have the distinction of probably being the only town with both its Prem football club and its university based in a neighbouring town - the univ's in Poole already. It's a tangled web.

But at our level and for us what they've got would be ideal - but it's reckoned it is going to cost them about £70k to get it up to Conf standards, ie just to stay where they are.

Their debates about a future home reflect many of the concerns expressed on this forum - which is quite soul-destroying seeing how long they have been effectively homeless. There's a good long post from a Jack T on p3 of this recent thread on their forum at http://pooletown.co.uk/thread/7939/tatnam-fit-purpose?page=3 if you fancy wallowing in other people's depression. :(

I prefer to watch Wimborne - a league lower, but a ramshackle stadium with a bit of atmosphere.

Apologies for talking about another club again but I think sometimes we do have to look a little wider than our own four sides of a ground to put perspective on things.

Over recent years, we've watched St Neots of the SPL prem division play quite a lot. They have a fantastic sports complex type ground with 3G training pitch and one of the best playing pitches in non-league. It is seriously good. The ground is in the middle of a new housing estate (the developers built the ground) with plenty of families on the doorstep. Since 2010 they've had back-to-back promotions and during the last one they broke the points total record. Ex Aston Villa player Stefan Moore banged in a stupid number of the 160 league goals that season.

They have a youth and academy set-up of the type you rarely see outside of the Premiership, great support from local businesses who provide lots of sponsorship and a proper law-abiding and approachable Chairman who runs the club in a very professional manner.

They've struggled with getting fans in for as long as we've watched them - often not matching 1874's gate. What youngsters they get through are typically from the youth set-up.

Despite all that they have in place - they just can't get the locals through the turnstiles.

I don't know what they need to do either.

There's no doubt that 74 banging in a few more home goals in better displays will help (74 not Saints!) at least to keep the status quo on gates - but it will take more than that to bring in lost and new fans. We did start on an artificially high number for the first season that was unlikely to be maintained. Many drifted away despite us finishing 3rd (I don't remember people bemoaning lack of entertainment too much) and ultimately a promotion.

Of course we do all want to be entertained at games. That IS why we all go (though there really is one Saints fan who seemingly goes to blow a vessel in his head every game shouting at the players) but the hard-fought ground-out wins matter too. There are a few points won this season that would've been dropped last. I would say that, for now, we shouldn't do anything drastic but keep battling for each league point. As Jack said - sometimes you need to be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:
Right I'l have my say now,first let me make it clear I have no official capacity with the club but I consider myself part of the team along with the fantastic ground team,Pam and the Board also the ticket sellers the volunteer's who do the catering and the gate staff it fact all the people who help out at the club .I have read the concerns about the gates,which I think we should wait till the end of the season before making a final judgement.Having said that we can not sit back and do nothing how many of you out there are prepared to give some of your time promoting the club in the area,or any ideas of how to promote us.I's been pointed out that anyone who is negative get's a reaction,well maybe other opinion's differ from your's like it's been said it's an open forum and ever one's entitled to their say,the one thing I will say negativity breed's negativity.
About the point in the direction the club is going,if any of you have concern's the place to air them in my opinion it's not on here but directly to the board who I am sure will only be glad to listen to your ideas.This is my opinion only some of the comment's made on here undermined the good work that is being done behind the scenes,so if you have any ideas concern's or offer's of held take them to the Board that's the right place for them.

I'm not usually one for criticism but yesterday's performance especially in the second half was very poor. Colls played us off the park and could easily have won by more than they did. I don't think the 4-3-3 works as too often we have no midfield or width to our play. There is no creativity going forward and we are far too dependent on long balls sent regularly up by the pitch by Danny Thomas and Matt Woolley. We just didn't look scoring and it's not the first time I've thought that this season. There have also been poor performances (in particular at home) against Colne, AFC Liverpool and Congleton.

As others have said, people other than the core are not going to keep watching performances such as that. It's a shame because I think we have a really talented squad, one of the better ones in this league and arguably the best we've had since forming as a club. There are the players in our team to play the attacking football and score the goals we'd all like to see - Connors, Jackson, Joe Woolley, McGowan, Hind, Bailey, yet for some reason the management don't seem to be getting the best out of them.

It'd be great to see us go to a 3-5-2 and bring some width into our play, as when we get it out wide we do look a different team. Again, this is just constructive criticism as I want us to improve which I don't think we have enough this year.

I agree with the high majority of things written on this forum.
I've played and watched local football all my middle aged life.
1874 is still the 1st result I look for every week not just because of the prediction league I participate in haha !!
I've watched just the very first game of the season v barnton fa cup, the reasons why this is?

The current ground is soul less

last year due to so many postponements I found myself other things to occupy my Saturdays, including watching other local sides bar 2

I thought last season the standard of football played in the league overall was impressive, often the difference in many teams I witnessed was 2 in each team that makes the difference, it's about getting the best out of what you've got..

Ian does have favourites and his way of playing but that's all about football opinions. .

The club has the die hards that will watch / support/voluntary devout their lives to the club. I think that's what we have now..
But it's time to give the vision and time frame whatever that must be to get back to northwich.
This way I believe more people, businesses , communities can buy in to it, support and engage in this and help build and be part of the feel part of tge future.

Please share this if it exists.

We have an AGM coming up at the end of the month, attend the meeting and air those views, concerns or ideas; it is after all a democratic organisation. If you can't make it on the night (I know I can't) then raise the points you want to make to the Board via an email to Rob Ashcroft or ask someone who is attending to raise the discussion items on your behalf.

It's an open forum here and the diverse views sometimes make it all the healthier for that reason, but don't miss the golden opportunity to discuss things in public with your fellow fan members at the meeting. No point in anyone posting post-AGM that they have grievances or concerns while admitting they didn't bother or couldn't attend; that doesn't take us forward and I believe everyone of us, despite differing ways of approaching it, ultimately wants that.

Finally, being part of the Board isn't for everyone, whether that be a time issue, confidence or a personality trait. However it is noticeable that we do have a lack of people wanting to take up an official role; this year there are no new nominees. I would urge everyone of us to step back and give some serious thought about this. All of us must know someone who could serve the club well in some capacity or other, we are after all a talented and diverse group of skilled ambitious people aren't we? Moving forward we need to address this at the next AGM, assuming it's too late now this year.

Right, now I've had time to think about it, here's what I think about a number of things...

1. PERFORMANCES

When considering performances, you have to think about the situation on the day, for example, yesterday 1874 were without Sam Hind (Scored about 13 goals and 10+ assists) and Sam Hare (Involved in a number of goals since we signed him) both provide an outlet for the side in terms of linking midfield to attack. Yesterday, we missed them both, a lot.

We've put in a number of 'good' performances this season, Cammell Laird, Runcorn Town, Linnets, Irlam and the best of all Bootle. However, there's no consistency, we've had a number of mediocre performances where we have still managed to get the win due to the quality in our side.

The conclusion to this is a lack of a settled starting 11: and a lack of a settled formation. We've played it all this season, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-4, 4-5-1, 3-5-2...but still can't find a perfect formation to suit the lads we have and the style of play. But to be where we are without hitting the hights, is encouraging.

2. CROWDS

I get it, crowds are down, slightly, yes its a concern but if you look around, everyone else's crowds are down too, this includes our neighbors Witton, Colne, Etc.

Our crowds are down to a mixture of people having very high expectations and the Winters we have had in the last few years, PEOPLE HAVE FOUND SOMETHING ELSE TO DO! Last season we went from November, where we lost 3-1 to Colls in the league to March without a HOME GAME. Thats crazy, I was so bored without watching 1874, but I only found temporary replacements, however, 50 of our fans have had enough. Maybe yesterday will show them how much the work done in the summer has helped the BS pitch and tempt them back.

But with Cal and everyone else working on the new promotional ideas and so forth, this will surely start to push gates back to where they should be. Its our club so we all have a role to play!

3. CALM DOWN!

There is no worse feeling than when your team gets beat, especially to a title rival like Colls. But come on, its a defeat, it happens, we've been so lucky in our 4 years to not often have this feeling.

Out of the 181 games Ian Street has been in charge of 1874, he has a 63% win rate. Thats 114 wins. That is a remarkable record which any manager at any level would love to have.

When we get beat, lets all just calm, its easy when you lose to ignore all the oppositions qualities and just focus on our weaknesses. Ian would of learnt a lot from yesterday's defeat, time will tell to see what now happens.

What good is all this going do for the players and the manager. When I used to play football, I'd know my self whether or not I was rubbish and it would bother me a lot, so imagine how our lads feel coming on here to read some of the comments about them, especially Streety and the mangement team, on the day they got it wrong but they will move on and try to improve as they always do.

There is a lot to be positive about, we're in a very good position in the league, still in 3 cups, and there is a lot of football to be played.

Get behind YOUR CLUB, choosing not to support the lads because of a few bad performances won't help them improve and it definitely doesn't help the clubs finances. What will help them is getting out there in our numbers and getting behind the lads 100%

UP THE 74:scarf:

Last edited:
The conclusion to this is a lack of a settled starting 11: and a lack of a settled formation. We've played it all this season, 4-4-2, 4-3-3, 4-2-4, 4-5-1, 3-5-2...but still can't find a perfect formation to suit the lads we have and the style of play.

You make some excellent points Jack - but you missed the time we played 2-0-8 with every striker that has ever played for the club on the pitch at the same time! ;) Can't remember which game that was.

You make some excellent points Jack - but you missed the time we played 2-0-8 with every striker that has ever played for the club on the pitch at the same time! ;) Can't remember which game that was.
AFC Darwen or AFC Liverpool game, can't remember which one exactly...

Bails, Hind, McGowan, Jack Woolley and Shelton Payne all upfront together!

After watching most games home and away since we were formed.I have been finding it more and more difficult to make the effort to attend games the last few months, After yesterdays pathetic display i like the other 100 plus will not be attending anytime in the near future. I cant bear to watch this boring negative crap,this is not entertaining and even after a win it doesnt feel like a win,It is just something you endure like a trip to the dentist(and as enjoyable).
How many times this season have we got to half time and we have not had a shot on target?
If we dont make a management change crowds will continue to drop and this club will die.
When diehards and owners have had enough then we have a big problem brewing.
I have been watching the green half of town since 1976 and this is the first time i have said f--- -- no more.
We have probably the best squad in the league and it is being wasted. 433 the players dont enjoy it (ask them).
How long before players start to leave ?

Back