• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Colls today

Everybody is entitled to an opinion and as long as it is not abusive or derogatory I see no issue and no need to post under a real name, I use my initials and most know who I am if they need to talk to me.
I post when we play well so see no issue posting if we don't, As long as we talk mainly football and keep it civil then I see the forum as a good thing.
See you all Saturday.

Waste of time discussing this 'real name' issue, for a start how on earth could a real name be verified?
Nothing wrong with anonymity, however people who do post under pseudonyms shouldn't surprised when their comments, motivation or infact their agenda are questioned.

Last edited:
I have been reading this thread with interest over the past couple of days since Saturday.

Yes, Saturday's game was extremely dissappointing, not so much because of the result but the manner of the team's performance in the 2nd half. I thought we did okay in the first half, but I thought Colls stepped up a gear in the 2nd half and completely outplayed us. We seemed to have no way of getting through their solid defence and their front 3 were impressive with their attacking play so credit to Colls for their performance in the game and for getting the win.

On to the matter of falling attendences, the problem is that I think that the Barton Stadium is not really a football stadium and I think some people simply do not like watching football there. The sooner we get our own ground in Northwich the better. I hope the Board will be able to make substantial progress towards achieving this objective in the next 12 months.

Getting back to the original gripes about the performance and the subsequent suggestions by some of a managerial change could I just mention that at the moment we are in a great position in the league. I have heard that Runcorn Town are not going to get promoted this season as their ground is not up to spec, I have also heard there are some doubts about Colls floodlighting specs!
We were beaten on Saturday by a very good second half performance from Colls, first half was even. To say we were crap is a big insult to our opponents (whoever and whenever they are). There are some of our supporters who think we have a God given right to win every game in this league, they may not say it but the implication is there for all to see. Our players are as good on their day as any in the league or the league above but as has been said before we get far too much negativity and far to little positivity, you never get this on the Linnets forum (a team with as big a following if not more than us and they are still in this league after umpteen years).

Ian works his socks off for 1874 along with Paul, and Wayne. IF Ian were to say sod it, it's not worth the hassle (after all he is not Sam Alladyce and won't get any pay off), then that is this season gone as the team would in all likelihood disband (a lot of them are here on Ian's work ethic and his persuasion to buy into the '74 crusade). The lads would feel as betrayed as him I reckon. Who would you get in to manage the team? Most if not all good managers even at this level are set for the season. It would be a disaster.

Lets see where this season leads us now, get behind them, get us back to where we can be and keep some positivity.
See you at Padiham - UT74

I have called myself 'toddybarlow' In protest of the agenda that toddy is pushing, why should I HAVE to use my real name?

Am I 'less' of a fan than people who use there real name? I am so disillusioned that such a prominent member of 74 has inferenced this.

Toddy - as a younger member of the club, I'm so disappointed.

Moderators: is this forum only built for one account per computer? If so, are you saying a family has to nominate 1 family member to post? That's rediculas - so how can WE claim to be a FAN club?

The fact is, if the 2 accounts both said 'unlucky 74, try again next week' they wouldn't be blocked - would they?

For the record, I dabbled in the Vics but became dissolutioned with the pantomime, the dictatorship of Rushe etc. I stopped going to all the games early this season and instead select the games I go - Why? There's no atmosphere and the style of football is dull. I go to be entertained, and sadly that isn't happening often enough.

As for the dictatorship, seeing people told there not 'proper fans' because they challenge the style of football that OUR club play? For moderators to issue bans based on people expressing views? We're just sinking to the same level vics became.

From a hugely dissolutioned supporter - after reading this I am now a supporter who has now decided to take a break from 74 because of the attitude of some fellow fans and OWNERS. And for the record, as I'm not a 'proper' fan, my ownership will be being cancelled.

Getting back to the original gripes about the performance and the subsequent suggestions by some of a managerial change could I just mention that at the moment we are in a great position in the league. I have heard that Runcorn Town are not going to get promoted this season as their ground is not up to spec, I have also heard there are some doubts about Colls floodlighting specs!
We were beaten on Saturday by a very good second half performance from Colls, first half was even. To say we were crap is a big insult to our opponents (whoever and whenever they are). There are some of our supporters who think we have a God given right to win every game in this league, they may not say it but the implication is there for all to see. Our players are as good on their day as any in the league or the league above but as has been said before we get far too much negativity and far to little positivity, you never get this on the Linnets forum (a team with as big a following if not more than us and they are still in this league after umpteen years).

Ian works his socks off for 1874 along with Paul, and Wayne. IF Ian were to say sod it, it's not worth the hassle (after all he is not Sam Alladyce and won't get any pay off), then that is this season gone as the team would in all likelihood disband (a lot of them are here on Ian's work ethic and his persuasion to buy into the '74 crusade). The lads would feel as betrayed as him I reckon. Who would you get in to manage the team? Most if not all good managers even at this level are set for the season. It would be a disaster.

Lets see where this season leads us now, get behind them, get us back to where we can be and keep some positivity.
See you at Padiham - UT74
Well said Chris. We don't always agree on footballing matters but on this occasion I do.

Please everyone let's talk football. I don't care whether it's your real name or Father Christmas. Have an opinion on where it went wrong on Saturday and how you think Ian should put it wright, if it needs fixing. Personally I believe we have the players to win this league, but we just need to think more about how to beat the opposition. Ian has his thoughts on this I'm sure. An example is when we saw Tom play a different role against Irlam which I applauded as Scott could run rings around their less than mobile rock of a centre half but for me Tom did end up too deep in this game. My opinion!!

We are in the NWCL and I think those who want to see flowing attacking football every week should realise this. We will win this league one day but it will be by blood and guts and not by Premier League football.

As for Saturday I think they played to their strengths in the second half. They are a good all round team nothing really special but we didn't really come out after the break. It happens, we need to move on support our lads and management as there is a league to win.

I have called myself 'toddybarlow' In protest of the agenda that toddy is pushing, why should I HAVE to use my real name?
You don't have to use your real name. For lots of reasons that could never be enforced and just because someone pushes it as an agenda doesn't mean it will happen.
Am I 'less' of a fan than people who use there real name? I am so disillusioned that such a prominent member of 74 has inferenced this.
No you're not. Plenty of people on here don't use their real name. I don't see a problem with that. It's just Toddy's opinion - he is entitled to it.
Moderators: is this forum only built for one account per computer? If so, are you saying a family has to nominate 1 family member to post? That's rediculas - so how can WE claim to be a FAN club?
No - I think you've misunderstood! There is a limit of one account per USER. Most internet forums have that rule - for good reason.
As for the dictatorship, seeing people told there not 'proper fans' because they challenge the style of football that OUR club play? For moderators to issue bans based on people expressing views? We're just sinking to the same level vics became.
Nobody, anywhere has said people are not proper fans. Nobody was banned for expressing their views.
From a hugely dissolutioned supporter - after reading this I am now a supporter who has now decided to take a break from 74 because of the attitude of some fellow fans and OWNERS. And for the record, as I'm not a 'proper' fan, my ownership will be being cancelled.
It's a shame that you feel that way because I think you've misunderstood a few things. It'd
be great if you'd reconsider in light of some of the above explanations.

Okay I'm not a 1874 fan but I do attend many games home and away acting as dads taxi for my sons. I've also attended some of the open meetings the club holds where I sit as a silent observer.

So from an outsiders position I just can't understand what the clubs business plan is to increase attendances. This should be the main focus for the club and then all supporters can work together. You only need a small number of actions and then put energy behind them.

As an example my team Wrexham having taken back a 99 year lease on their ground. To do this it was made clear they need to find an additional £200,000 this season. They have got all fans behind a promotional campaign of "My Racecourse". This involved a big push on season ticket offers, sponsorship, improved match day catering, special merchandise/clothing, creating a club pie for sales on match days, a new lager called "My Racecourse" plus other activities. Even though success on the pitch is still missing our attendances are still averaging over 4,000 because we are inclusive and have a big following of young fans who regularly have the chance to play on the pitch at half time and get incentives such a free Christmas parties. I would say about a third of our fans are under 20.

Remember Wrexham are operating the same fans own model with most tasks undertaken by volunteers. It's no different than 1874.

I just don't see any sort of visible strategy from the 1874 board to drive attendances. If the plan is to wait for a return to Northwich then the club will die before this. Likewise I hear people comment if Vics go under then attendances will increase. This is folly. I personally believe that the football could be better this year and certain players seem to play regularly when better options watch from the bench. However that's just my opinion.

What is very obvious is that 1874 is supported in general by mostly middle aged to retired people. You have few young fans and no plan to attract them. I'd be suprised if your crowds are above 150 within 2 years. I hope this isn't the case as I really want 1874 to be a success but I don't see any proactive actions from your membership to achieve this.

Seem's I'm not permitted an opinion but ever one else is,as I'v said before I am not an official of the club so my opinion's are my own.The one thing I will say is I will always us my name,and I believe every one else should just my opinion.So the person using my name thank you.

Toddy - as a younger member of the club, I'm so disappointed.

The fact is, if the 2 accounts both said 'unlucky 74, try again next week' they wouldn't be blocked - would they?

For the record, I dabbled in the Vics but became dissolutioned with the pantomime, the dictatorship of Rushe etc. I stopped going to all the games early this season and instead select the games I go - Why? There's no atmosphere and the style of football is dull. I go to be entertained, and sadly that isn't happening often enough.

Question
Is supporting 1874 better than supporting NVFC?

If the answer is yes, I don't see your problem. We're 4 years old and only one league below Witton, what do you want? Conference football? One of your complaints is lack of atmosphere, if that's what's putting you off create it yourself by starting the chants.

If the answer is no, then its obvious you haven't bought into the principles, aim and objectives of FAN OWNED and should therefore go to back to supporting the disillusioned and deluded so called 'fan owned' NVFC.

That's my personal opinion, which I'm entitled too as well.

People should think themselves lucky to have this forum, operated by fans, independently of the club. If this was the WAFC forum some would already be banned and if it were JRFC's well that's been in maintainance for almost 12 months.

Our board, management and players work their socks off on a daily basis, above and beyond the call of duty, working around their private lives and work commitments, have some God damn respect for them.

Last edited:
Think this thread is getting way off topic it was a reaction to our defeat at the weekend not who does what
Let's call a halt before it gets daft
Nothing wrong with discussing the game good or bad

Reactions: Ben
Agreed Phil, I've not said this before about a thread on this forum but at times it's been like reading a thread on the old 'Voice Of The Vics' forum. It's not good reading seeing all this bickering,

thank you the person going under my name just proves my point,what can't understand is how is this allowed and just enforces my opinion on bogus poster's.but in this case what I say is all publicity is good publicity.I couldn't care less if someone is ashamed to us their own they have to use mine in fact i'm honored,But think on this it might be your's next time.so carry on mate.

Agreed Phil, I've not said this before about a thread on this forum but at times it's been like reading a thread on the old 'Voice Of The Vics' forum. It's not good reading seeing all this bickering,
It may not be good to read but if it reflects a mood amongst supporters then the worst thing that can happen is for it to be stifled. Better to confront it and deal with it.
The AGM is imminent so what better time to bring it out into the open? If it is becoming a problem then it can be discussed whilst it is fresh and not after it has festered for 6-9 months.

"It may not be good to read but if it reflects a mood amongst supporters"

I really don't think it does Pete. It's like Phil said, we were upset Saturday cos we lost a game. It happens. We have lost 3 league games and beaten the "runaway" leaders on their patch to boot! Chill out. No one died.:banghead

It may not be good to read but if it reflects a mood amongst supporters then the worst thing that can happen is for it to be stifled. Better to confront it and deal with it.
The AGM is imminent so what better time to bring it out into the open? If it is becoming a problem then it can be discussed whilst it is fresh and not after it has festered for 6-9 months.
Pete, there's nothing wrong whatsoever with posting a constructive opinion whether it's negative or positive on the way the team play or to question which direction the club is going and what can be done better. But I was just referring to some of the bickering going on to do with something completely unrelated to any of this - namely whether people should be able to post on here not using their real name. I really don't care who posts on here and under what name providing they're not rude or personal and are genuine. I merely wondered why a thread entitled 'Colls today" has descended into something not remotely to do with the game.

Last edited:
Very apposite, Ben. I was just about to post a gentle reminder to everyone (including myself) that we are straying ever-so-slightly away from the topic of the thread.
Nothing wrong (IMO) with posting opinions on ways forward generally etc, but maybe they should have their own thread rather than all exploding out of the frustration surrounding this admittedly hugely disappointing result.

Reactions: Ben
Jesus. I thought I left all this behind in 2012. Had enough now. Seriously.

Please, have some respect for each other, I thought we were all working towards the same aim? I thought we had learned from the past?

Have some respect for our Management Team, for our players and for our Board who actually, all work their balls off for this great football club of ours.

We all have different opinions, debate them but be constructive and mindful of others. Maybe, just maybe, the time and place for some debate is at the AGM or perhaps at one of the Meet the Management evenings?

We were beaten on Saturday by a decent Colls side. They deserved their win and good luck to them on their Vase journey. We were disappointed and those that stayed behind after the game, would have seen how upset and gutted our lads were. It was a competition they would have liked to have done well in, but it wasn't to be. Does it really warrant (currently) 6 pages and 100+ comments? If that was our experience every game, I would understand and appreciate the outpouring. But it isn't.

This is football and it will not always go our way. We are 4 years old tomorrow, 4! What a journey, doing things the right way. That's what YOU, the members, wanted. No quick fixes, but steady progress. I am proud of how we have conducted ourselves so far. We've made more progress than other clubs a lot older than ours. Perhaps some issues are not being dealt with as quickly as some would like, but decisions are taken with the long term interests of 1874 in mind. There are definitely challenges now and in the future, but they will only be addressed and overcome together. If you don't agree with decisions or can contribute to improvements, then get involved positively and constructively, however big or small that contribution is.

The Club has never interfered with this Forum. It is a place for your debate. The Board has never tried to push supporters down the route of one type of opinion, i.e everything is rosy. But please god, take a breath guys because this is so very damaging to YOUR Club.

The last thing I wanted to do was to post because of the position I hold within the Club. But by god, I love this club and am proud of the people who work for it and support it and therefore felt the need to say something.

Please......

Attend the AGM, ask questions and make your view known.

If you are not a Member, ask questions and make your view known to any Board Member at the match.

Remember why we are here.

And last but not least, get behind our boys on Saturday because they need your backing.

Jesus. I thought I left all this behind in 2012. Had enough now. Seriously.

Please, have some respect for each other, I thought we were all working towards the same aim? I thought we had learned from the past?

Have some respect for our Management Team, for our players and for our Board who actually, all work their balls off for this great football club of ours.

We all have different opinions, debate them but be constructive and mindful of others. Maybe, just maybe, the time and place for some debate is at the AGM or perhaps at one of the Meet the Management evenings?

We were beaten on Saturday by a decent Colls side. They deserved their win and good luck to them on their Vase journey. We were disappointed and those that stayed behind after the game, would have seen how upset and gutted our lads were. It was a competition they would have liked to have done well in, but it wasn't to be. Does it really warrant (currently) 6 pages and 100+ comments? If that was our experience every game, I would understand and appreciate the outpouring. But it isn't.

This is football and it will not always go our way. We are 4 years old tomorrow, 4! What a journey, doing things the right way. That's what YOU, the members, wanted. No quick fixes, but steady progress. I am proud of how we have conducted ourselves so far. We've made more progress than other clubs a lot older than ours. Perhaps some issues are not being dealt with as quickly as some would like, but decisions are taken with the long term interests of 1874 in mind. There are definitely challenges now and in the future, but they will only be addressed and overcome together. If you don't agree with decisions or can contribute to improvements, then get involved positively and constructively, however big or small that contribution is.

The Club has never interfered with this Forum. It is a place for your debate. The Board has never tried to push supporters down the route of one type of opinion, i.e everything is rosy. But please god, take a breath guys because this is so very damaging to YOUR Club.

The last thing I wanted to do was to post because of the position I hold within the Club. But by god, I love this club and am proud of the people who work for it and support it and therefore felt the need to say something.

Please......

Attend the AGM, ask questions and make your view known.

If you are not a Member, ask questions and make your view known to any Board Member at the match.

Remember why we are here.

And last but not least, get behind our boys on Saturday because they need your backing.
The voice of reason. Spot on 100%. Fully behind Ian, Paul, Wayne and Tull and all the boys!

UP THE 74!!!

Back