• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

ARE WITTON IN FREE FALL

Yaaaaawwwwwnnnnnn!!! Of course you did!
Thought you weren't coming on here again??? Just cant keep off the more interesting and busier site can you!!
You are quite right, my apologies. I must go and talk to some fans of other clubs in the Northern Premier League from now on. We will have much more in common. Goodbye.

I believe the value of Wincham Park has plumeted since adjacent and adjoining land destined for housing has now been purchase for industrial use only.

It would also be interesting to note what percentage of the value of the Club and its assets are held my "Significant Shareholders" as it is described in the WAFC programme.

Shareholder capital is approximately half of the current capital value according to Co House

I don't think much has altered on the WAFC shareholder register for a number of years. I think the number of shares was increased from 200K to 300k back in the 90's to help resolve the clubs debt problem at that time. Those shares have been sold and I don't think there are any currently available. There are 2 or 3 shareholders who have sizeable blocks of shares circa £25K, but the remaining 225K shares are distributed amongst a large number of people who own as few as 10 shares. Overall no one shareholder has or can get overall control of the club without assistance from a large number of other shareholders.

As for the value of WP as an asset, as far as I know the balance sheet value of WAFC Ltd was never updated or increased to reflect the numbers being discussed with prospective developers and not increased beyond the initial value as agreed within the original Sainsbury deal.

WAFC have no need to leave Wincham Park and are currently financially secure. If any developer needs WAFC to leave WP to accommodate more housing development, then I am sure that the value of that transaction will exceed the current book value of WP. Until that happens the value of WP is irrelevant. We have a first class ground with great amenities that is graded beyond our current league status and a far better facility than the one you currently enjoy. Given an opportunity I am sure you would readily swap places with us, unless the green eyed monster clouds your vision :)

Last edited:
Totally agree Knutsfordian, why would we want to leave Wincham Park . First class ground and after the season we've had let's hope there's more to come over the next few seasons.

does Mark Harris and Witton Albion regret entering into a ground share with Jim Rushe.looking forward to how this glorious chapter in wittons history will be covered in the new book by WHS, I would like to bet it only gets the briefest of mentions .Witton should count themselves very lucky.if rushe had not been caught I am convinced the plan was to approach the major shareholders and take over the club as a cover for his illegal activities !

Only Mark can answer the first part of that question, but the last year was subject to an intervention by the FA/NPL so I don;t think there will be any regrets on that element.

With regard to Rushe becoming a part owner in WP you have to ask yourself exactly what would have been the benefit for WAFC Ltd shareholders? Why would they "give away" their assets or any share value to Mr Rushe (or anyone else for that matter)? The ethos of the club is that the shareholders don't sell - so not sure how much Mr Rushe would have had to offer to get the club under his control. I also think that there are rules with regard to buying shares/company takeovers that mean once an offer has been made for some percentage of shares it must be extended to all share holders (quite happy to accept an alternative version here) so that means the end cost could have been way past the share face value.

On the topic of grounds (or former ones) do you all regret leaving the Drill Field?
GE
Graham - In a word, yes.
As shareholders we voted for it - despite the likes of Clive and Toddy warning us not to believe the 'spin' that was put on the benefits of doing so by the now infamous 'Gang of Three'.
But it was a difficult situation.
The Board at the time were appointed by the Shareholders to run the club and in their opinion this was the best long-term option we had to guarantee the long term survival of the club.
So, our choice was to back them or sack them - at which time most would have understandably resigned - leaving a 'new' board to pick up the pieces of what was already a 'difficult' situation (the club had significant debt at this time).
As it transpired, maybe we as shareholders were won over by the promises of Stone, Rafferty and Nuttall and ought to have asked more searching questions.
But as Mark Bevan's book 'Twenty Years of Madness' records, the manner in which the move from TDF to the VS was managed was a complete shambles from start to finish.
It was a result of this massive cock-up that Connett got his hands on the club and the same three individuals then supported him during his ill-starred tenure.
And then to put the Top-Hat on things, they also backed the Cocaine-dealing Rushe when he took over control.
So, is it any wonder why we decided to create our own fans run club - which some of your own supporters describe us as being 'Plastic' fans and '2013 Winsford' (get the banter - no problems with that).
I can tell you, this was a truly gut-wrenching decision for the vast majority of fans.
But it was one that just had to be made as we could not identify ourselves with the 'side' in G&W that was playing at Stafford or Flixton.
I very much doubt and truly hope that WAFC - which as a club I have a great deal of respect and admiration for - never finds itself in the position that we did in 2013.
And finally from me - many congratulations on your richly deserved promotion this season.
Our consolation comes from the fact that we beat Vics twice this season and our last two games against you have resulted in two wins for 1874 with a goal difference of 7 to 1!
Enjoy the close season....

Hindsight it a wonderful thing, I was at uni at the time of VS stadium discussions but I remember people thinking Clive was just an old eccentric who couldn't move with the times. I wonder what he thinks now and I wonder if anyone has ever apologised to him? I don't know the man but I've seen him watching 1874 a few times.

Back