• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Vase game to be Played at Wincham Park

A good move. It's a massive game, one which I'm sure we all want played so it makes perfect sense. Let's hope for a crowd in excess of 400. As for playing at Witton in the future, it's something we should seriously consider if the deal is right. The ground is in Northwich and their pitch is far better, which will only mean less postponements and higher crowds for us so we can build as a club and get our message out there. Ultimately, it's harder to do that from Winsford.

Blackie, I presume that if you object to us playing at Witton, you would choose not to support us in any home game we play there? Personally, I think the future of our club is more important than petty rivalry and squabbles on a forum.

Blackie, I presume that if you object to us playing at Witton, you would choose not to support us in any home game we play there?
You are probably correct Ben I would not attend.
I would, however, continue to attend away games, continue my silver membership and the 300 club.
Plus I also have an attic full of stuff to contribute to Toddy for his car boot sale. My choice which I don't expect some to understand and I have no problem in anyone else attending as its their choice.

You are probably correct Ben I would not attend.
I would, however, continue to attend away games, continue my silver membership and the 300 club.
Plus I also have an attic full of stuff to contribute to Toddy for his car boot sale. My choice which I don't expect some to understand and I have no problem in anyone else attending as its their choice.
I can't make the FA Vase game because I'm working in Norwich over Christmas and New Year. So I would like you Blackie, my friend, to attend on my behalf.:D:scarf:

I’ve said this a few times to some of you guys in the past and this is obviously a relevant time to say it again.

We rented Wincham Park for 4 years when our club first formed, and they were impeccable landlords. Let us have our own club shop in the ground, managed our kit laundry for us, fully staffed the ground (apart from stewards). We literally turned up, used the excellent facilities, and went home.

While they obviously gained financially from us being there, we will be forever greatful that they gave us a start in life.

Maybe OK for a one off cup game to ensure it is not called off, but given the history & nature of WA, I would be extremely worried about them wanting to suddenly being our best friends.
They are only looking at what’s in it for them
For me, we would be better off trying to agree a long term deal with Lostock FC and develop towards a share owned ground in Northwich, with real potential.
Lots of scope to improve the ground, maybe with some FA money and an ideal pub to use as the HQ, which again could be for sale in the future ?
Let’s not rush into a deal at Wincham, before we take stock at all other options

Of course Witton are looking at what’s in it for them, they are a business and it is extra income. We need to look at whether we can get a good ground share deal and whether it could be mutually beneficial.

Lostock would require significant improvement/investment to get it up to the ground grading standards of even our current level, which means that although this may be worth looking into in the longer term it is not a solution for next season. We need (IMO) a flexible and affordable shorter term option, one which would not commit us beyond 1-2 seasons and which would allow us to proceed financially with a longer-term solution. Whether that option is Winsford or Witton depends on a whole range of factors which no doubt those charged with looking into these things have considered or are considering, the most important of which is, in the words of Leslie Crowther, whether the price is right. And of course Witton (and Winsford) will be looking at what's in it for them - I wouldn't expect anything less of them, they are not a charity.

Maybe OK for a one off cup game to ensure it is not called off, but given the history & nature of WA, I would be extremely worried about them wanting to suddenly being our best friends.
They are only looking at what’s in it for them
For me, we would be better off trying to agree a long term deal with Lostock FC and develop towards a share owned ground in Northwich, with real potential.
Lots of scope to improve the ground, maybe with some FA money and an ideal pub to use as the HQ, which again could be for sale in the future ?
Let’s not rush into a deal at Wincham, before we take stock at all other options

Of course Witton are looking at what’s in it for them, they are a business and it is extra income. We need to look at whether we can get a good ground share deal and whether it could be mutually beneficial.

Firstly, any deal must bring a benefit for Witton (or Lostock for that matter) otherwise it is pointless them bothering. Likewise we need an agreed deal which will not affect our balance sheet adversely either, so it's a question of both parties (whoever the host club is) coming to an amicable decision where both clubs mutually benefit. All indications suggest, that for the Vase tie at least, this seems to be the case, However before we get carried away with a rosy future, following the rainbow to Wincham Park (or anywhere else), let's see how good the attendance is for the Pontefract game. Given it's a cup game, it is being held in Northwich and there has been plenty of advanced notice of the change (thus hopefully fewer doubts the game won't happen so people make alternative arrangements), we should see an increased gate. But let's wait and see; I don't buy the assertion "move to Witton and they will come" is necessarily any guarantee this would definitely come to fruition.
All that said, I know Paul (along with other Board members) have worked hard alongside their Witton Albion colleagues to come up with a workable solution, in the short term at least. If Paul was happy with the deal then so am I.

Me to !, Re Lostock !, was there a housing plan submitted by the Brewery a while ago and refused pending a resubmitted one, would this not take away access and parking possibly!.

Last edited:
Back