• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Vase game to be Played at Wincham Park

You make it sound like they a doing us a favour. They have something we want and are letting us use it, yes they are doing us a favour. We are paying for the use of the ground Yes just like Winsford and Widnes we are paying them for the use of their ground. as usual with our dealings with Witton I don't recall 74 having any previous dealings with Witton exactly what we are paying is confidential. Welcome to business, why would you want the world to know our affairs? They are desperate for money No more than we are for a playable pitch if they weren't they would have nothing to do with us. If we didn't need a playable pitch we would have nothing to do with them! Sorry PaulF to be so pedantic but it's a win win situation for all concerned, for both the clubs, the supporters and local businesses before and after the match.

You make it sound like they a doing us a favour. We are paying for the use of the ground and as usual with our dealings with Witton exactly what we are paying is confidential.

They are desperate for money, if they weren't they would have nothing to do with us.

Paul, it will be in our accounts which are published transparently each year. This could be the start of a good partnership that benefits BOTH clubs. I trust the board to get the best deal for US, the fact that it also benefits Witton is neither here nor there. I can’t wait for 1874 to play at home in Northwich.

I am asking all my football friends to try and make the game. I intend to arrive early, buy a drink in the club house and raise my glass high to the memory of our fantastic Chairman.
If it's cold I will buy a hot drink. If i'm feeling hungry I will by a pie. When we win I will go back to the bar and have another drink with our wonderful players and toast Mr Paul Stockton once again. If I come across any Witton officials I will shake their hands warmly and thank them for their generous hospitality. LIFE is TOO short people, so get on with it.
Mark, i respect what you want to do on game day as its YOUR choice, but i also see why Paul has the stance he has and understand his view.
In this increasingly stupid PC world we still have some free will left (for now!), and like Paul and Frank and probably plenty others, i will not be contributing to anything other than the entrance fee.
This does not mean i respect "Mr Chairman" any less, or support the team any less than any of the people in the clubhouse before or after the game, but i will prefer to go home after the match, be with my family and i will raise a quiet glass to Paul with a smile on my face.
For some of us, making the trip to watch a game at wi**on is already a big deal and we are only doing so for a certain person, so please people, choose your own way of attending and respect others...whats small steps for some are bloody big ones for others!!.

Last edited:
Sorry Blackie, I totally forgot about that filght of bloody big steps leading upto Wincham Park!
Perhaps we should rename the 'principled few' as the Shortlegs from now on!!
See you Sunday x

You make it sound like they a doing us a favour. We are paying for the use of the ground and as usual with our dealings with Witton exactly what we are paying is confidential.

They are desperate for money, if they weren't they would have nothing to do with us.
What planet are you on? Witton are doing you a massive favour. If you think Mr Harris and others on the board, some of whom are very well connected in the world of football, are "desperate" and won't be looking for other options in the best interest of WAFC I'm afraid you're sadly mistaken. Also there are plenty of Wittoners that don't want to see 1874 at WP this weekend or ever in the future believe me.

If you can't face an afternoon at Wincham Park watching YOUR club its simple - don't go!;)

Last edited:
This could go round in circles and nothing that can be said now is going to Change peoples minds on anything.

I hope all the 1874ers who come on Sunday enjoy the game, and I hope you win it. All of you who came to the two cup finals seemed to enjoy it and the atmosphere you created was brilliant. I realise the situation for the Vase game is different as it's a home game for you and there is the issue of any fee to us, but isn't it a mutually beneficial situation (as any subsequent arrangements must be). Anyway good luck I'd be coming along if it weren't for a prior arrangement.

I agree mark, I also have had enough of reading some of the posts on this subject.
What a pain in the backside social media can be.

It is quite evident that yesterday’s match was hugely beneficial to ourselves and also to Witton.

Think many are starting to realise that if both clubs could work together in the future it would be hugely beneficial to both clubs. It could lead to both clubs potentially thriving.

However, reading the Witton forum, many on there don’t seem so happy. The Witton staff seemed happy Sunday when they struggled to close their tills!

About 300 watch Witton + the occasional fans. About 10 post on their forum.
It's exactly the same with some of us isn't it?
The old fashioned unpleasant rivalry is OK when both clubs are affluent and can afford such luxury. Look at the interest in local football and ask yourself how do both clubs thrive going forward without a level of co-operation?
Take no notice of either group they are but a very small percentage

Pete I am an old fashioned rival but not unpleasant rival,but trust has to be earned on both sides,I remember how in the past we were told what was right for the club (bad advise at the time) I remember how we were rushed into decisions and look what happened.We all want our club to progress,but it has to be the right deal for our club,and also for Witton.Myself and Clive were pillared for our stance in the past,but history proved use right.If the right deal with Witton can be delivered for our club can be negotiated I'm all for it,but if it's a bad deal no deal.

Pete I am an old fashioned rival but not unpleasant rival,but trust has to be earned on both sides,I remember how in the past we were told what was right for the club (bad advise at the time) I remember how we were rushed into decisions and look what happened.We all want our club to progress,but it has to be the right deal for our club,and also for Witton.Myself and Clive were pillared for our stance in the past,but history proved use right.If the right deal with Witton can be delivered for our club can be negotiated I'm all for it,but if it's a bad deal no deal.

Back