• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Vase game to be Played at Wincham Park

According to last years accounts the club made a small.

That being the case any increase in attendances will only pay for the increased rent to Witton leaving us no better off in the long term but funding a better team for Witton.

If Witton are struggling to attract 300 people to Wincham Park for Evo-Stik football why does anybody think 350 - 400 are going to watch NWCL?

Reactions: pdw
If Witton are struggling to attract 300 people to Wincham Park for Evo-Stik football why does anybody think 350 - 400 are going to watch NWCL?

Because we play a very attractive style of football. The green side of Northwich has always been bigger so naturally we have a bigger pool to fish from. Not so long ago the green side of Northwich attracted around 1000.

We’ve had 300 plus attendances at 1874 regularly in the past. It’s time to strive for those sort of gates again. The interest is there.

Will we still be playing an attractive style of football when we have to cut the playing budget because we are paying an increased rent?

Winning promotion and playing in a higher league has had no effect on Witton's attendances and I do not foresee much of an increase for us if we move.

The only way for the club to progress is to have our own ground or a share in a ground.

Paying rent to another club for use of their ground, whichever club that might be, is not viable for our long term future.

Reactions: pdw

Because w*tton struggling to get 300 has nothing to do with on the pitch performances and is pretty much them still sulking about having vics back there recently, I personally would expect w*ttons crowds to go back up when Mark Harris is no longer chairman (regardless of whether they get promoted this season or not)

Will we still be playing an attractive style of football when we have to cut the playing budget because we are paying an increased rent?

Winning promotion and playing in a higher league has had no effect on Witton's attendances and I do not foresee much of an increase for us if we move.

The only way for the club to progress is to have our own ground or a share in a ground.

Paying rent to another club for use of their ground, whichever club that might be, is not viable for our long term future.

No one said that any POSSIBLE ground share would be a long term thing for us, our aim would still be to have our own ground in Northwich in the future but it would give us the obvious improved pitch/facilities and the CHANCE (not guarantee) to advertise ourselves to the people in the town which in the long term could help grow the club

PaulF - why do you assume that we would have to pay an increased rent to Witton? I would think that we would only pay what we can afford. I think Witton now realise that and that it is more important to secure a reliable tenant for the long term rather than demand too high a rent for the use of their ground. Better to have a reliable tenant for a reasonable rent rather than have no tenant at all don't you think? Also Witton would gain from having increased bar takings, which would help to reduce the rent. The point is that both clubs would have to be realistic in their expectations and demands if there is to be any agreement. Let's see how many people we get to see the Vase game and perhaps we will have a better idea as to future attendances if we were to play at Witton. Perhaps we can have an arrangement to play our league games at Winsford and cup games at Witton for the short term and then see how things pan out . This would help save Winsford's from too much wear and tear and we can see how playing at Witton would impact on attendences. Food for thought me thinks.

That has to be seen realistically as a long-term objective, both financially and practically, but it does not mean that the club cannot "progress" in the meantime.

But it is our only option for our short (and possibly medium) term future, which is what is being debated here.

PaulF - why do you assume that we would have to pay an increased rent to Witton? I would think that we would only pay what we can afford. I think Witton now realise that and that it is more important to secure a reliable tenant for the long term rather than demand too high a rent for the use of their ground. Better to have a reliable tenant for a reasonable rent rather than have no tenant at all don't you think? Also Witton would gain from having increased bar takings, which would help to reduce the rent. The point is that both clubs would have to be realistic in their expectations and demands if there is to be any agreement. Let's see how many people we get to see the Vase game and perhaps we will have a better idea as to future attendances if we were to play at Witton. Perhaps we can have an arrangement to play our league games at Winsford and cup games at Witton for the short term and then see how things pan out . This would help save Winsford's from too much wear and tear and we can see how playing at Witton would impact on attendences. Food for thought me thinks.
Spot on Gary.

There is no guarantee of increased gates playing games at Witton, but there is also no guarantee of increased gates if we were to have our own ground either. In terms of a sharing a facility, where would that be, who would it be with and how would it be financed? There has been brief mention of sharing rather than renting at Witton; fine in theory, but where would the stake money come from, assuming Albion were prepared to surrender some of their prized asset?
The press release suggested both clubs working together in the future. How better would an approach to CWAC or the Football Foundation (or similar body) for assistance identifying land if it could be shown that the two clubs were working collaboratively and amicably? ...... Now there’s a thought ;)

That has to be seen realistically as a long-term objective, both financially and practically, but it does not mean that the club cannot "progress" in the meantime.

But it is our only option for our short (and possibly medium) term future, which is what is being debated here.
Agree Alan. Unless I'm missing something Paul F seems to be several steps ahead of everyone else on this (unless he has met Mr Harris himself and knows something we don't?).

Spot on Gary.

There is no guarantee of increased gates playing games at Witton, but there is also no guarantee of increased gates if we were to have our own ground either. In terms of a sharing a facility, where would that be, who would it be with and how would it be financed? There has been brief mention of sharing rather than renting at Witton; fine in theory, but where would the stake money come from, assuming Albion were prepared to surrender some of their prized asset?
The press release suggested both clubs working together in the future. How better would an approach to CWAC or the Football Foundation (or similar body) for assistance identifying land if it could be shown that the two clubs were working collaboratively and amicably? ...... Now there’s a thought ;)
Excellent post Tez :)

We were privileged to have Paul as a chairman, we must make sure his legacy is protected and continue to move forward in his memory. We are also lucky to have such an articulate management team who clearly want the best for the club. I hope everyone with even the slightest interest in 1874 gets themselves down to Wincham Park next week.

Decided after some consideration I will be there on Sunday. Not because of any comments on here on the plus or minus side but because thats a beautifully written piece by wayne and if we are to use this game as a tribute to a man i had a great respect for how could i say no. No promises after that...one game at a time.

Decided after some consideration I will be there on Sunday. Not because of any comments on here on the plus or minus side but because thats a beautifully written piece by wayne and if we are to use this game as a tribute to a man i had a great respect for how could i say no. No promises after that...one game at a time.

Good lad......

Hopefully we will get a good crowd to the game and do everybody proud
If we could show a united front alongside witton with cwac then maybe we can get to moss farm on a shared ground which is the place to prosper, how did the cricket club aquire/rent the land its currently on, could be a great asset to the community.

Back