• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Tonight's Branding Presentation

Totally agree Toddy.
But it does help when you have a unique product and brand to sell.
#weare74

But don't you think Toddy that when people see a green and white shirt they automatically think vics?
Let's face it, they've had a few years head start on being better known than us.
We picked their formation date in our name, the same colours and a virtually identical badge.
We really need something unique to 74 to start having its own clear identity.
Adopting a new third colour that would make "our" strip more recognisable sounds a good plan to me!

Blackie the new fans we should be targeting,are the one's who have never probably never watch us,Vics or Witton and will not know the history or what we play in.Lets face it we will never convert stonewall Wittoner's or Vics fans to our cause.It's the kids and parents of today we should be aiming for,and the way to get them is going out there and informing them of what we are about(a community club)the strip and badge will have no meaning for them,it's people on the ground we need going out there,getting them interested enough to give us a try.

But don't you think Toddy that when people see a green and white shirt they automatically think vics?
Let's face it, they've had a few years head start on being better known than us.
We picked their formation date in our name, the same colours and a virtually identical badge.
We really need something unique to 74 to start having its own clear identity.
Adopting a new third colour that would make "our" strip more recognisable sounds a good plan to me!
Black

A green and white shirt was always a bad idea as many pointed out at the offset. Unfortunately there were more people who felt that '74 should be Vics incarnated and were hell bent on all but replicating the romanticised Drill Field days.

As has been said above, I think communication is a big problem. The club must have contact details for people who meet at least one of the following criteria...

1. Are a club member
2. Are on the newsletter list
3. Are season ticket holders
4. Are a 300 club member
5. Are known for some other reason

Every effort should be being made to get as many people as possible to meet ALL of these criteria. Draw up an excel spreadsheet with 5 columns....contact details + 4 columns (1-4 above)...get a X in as many columns as you can.

Currently, I'm a club member, on the newsletter list and a 300 club member but I can't recall any great effort to convince me to buy a season ticket last year. No email reminder (I had a season ticket the year before), no compelling reason to buy one (sorry but "why wouldn't you?" doesn't cut the mustard).

If nobody on the board has the time to do this...then that's fine (I wouldn't have time either) but if that's the case, then everybody - board and fans - need to get aligned on what is actually realistic for the club.

Toddy is right in the fact that we need to attract new and younger fans as they are our future.

Lots of ideas out there to get the community to recognise us.

1. Secondary School visits by players.
2. Primary School visits by Mascot.
3. Junior Football tournaments.
4. Fates, fairs and events.
5. Community work such as litter picks, gardening, painting, canal and river cleanups.

Just needs a commitment from the owners and fans, not just the board.

Last edited:
Mascot poll suggesting two most popular results

20160529_041622.png

Can you see the huge benefits to having a club mascot? The potential publicity for the club is huge.

OK it costs a lot of money but local sponsors can be sort to offset the cost and fundraising would collect the remainder.

A green and white shirt was always a bad idea as many pointed out at the offset. Unfortunately there were more people who felt that '74 should be Vics incarnated and were hell bent on all but replicating the romanticised Drill Field days.
There is quite a fundamental issue here. Is the club reborn out of Vics or is it a totally new club with no historical association/history? In my view it is the former. If it was Vale Royal Rovers playing in all White then it would be good night from me. I am totally against a move away from the green and white and sadly would walk if it did change.

I'll get the ball rolling £20 towards the cost of the Mascot(but I'm not wearing it).

There is quite a fundamental issue here. Is the club reborn out of Vics or is it a totally new club with no historical association/history? In my view it is the former. If it was Vale Royal Rovers playing in all White then it would be good night from me. I am totally against a move away from the green and white and sadly would walk if it did change.
Green and white shirts black shorts green and black socks

As has been said above, I think communication is a big problem. The club must have contact details for people who meet at least one of the following criteria...

1. Are a club member
2. Are on the newsletter list
3. Are season ticket holders
4. Are a 300 club member
5. Are known for some other reason

I've had a look into pulling this sort of together in the past using CRM software ( e.g. https://suitecrm.com) as I think the club have the all the details, but stored in different places. Putting it in one place makes perfect sense to me.
Using season tickets as an example I think the CRM would be able to send personalised invitations to renew. On top of that the official website should promote them & via social media. Finally, the newsletter should also plug them with a link to the online shop, as well as detailing offline purchase methods.

I'm currently working on a new look for the official website which is taking up most of my spare time, but once that's done I'll have a look into a CRM & the benefits it could provide.

I wouldn't argue that the new club needed to have some very clear nods back to Vics, however, in my opinion we just went way too far. There were and are considerable commercial implications associated with some of the choices.

The club colour option that was voted for my all the fans was green, black and white. More black, less white. I'm not suggesting we lose the green.

But whatever does or doesn't happen....I won't be walking away.

Mascot poll suggesting two most popular results

View attachment 963

Can you see the huge benefits to having a club mascot? The potential publicity for the club is huge.

OK it costs a lot of money but local sponsors can be sort to offset the cost and fundraising would collect the remainder.

I'd definitely contribute to this too.

One of these would have much more success in recruiting and keeping younger fans than some hairy-arsed old bloke kind fan or board volunteer.

Could we use the under-21 team members to do a bit of school-visiting, etc? Is there anyway of motivating our current younger fan base to bring along their mates on a consistent basis?

Whilst we're talking about recruiting new fans do we, as a club, know why the crowds have dwindled over the last year or so? What specifically could we change to get some of those "floaters" (no offence meant!!) back?

I really think Captain 74 could be used with the rebranding ideas. This superhero idea would appeal to younger fans, and could be used like Tony said to go into local primary schools and perhaps hand out vouchers for matchdays- if the child brings the voucher with a paying adult, the adult gets 30% off for example. Brings more younger fans to enjoy '74 and gets them hooked, more adults through the gate as well. Can only be positive.

I think idealistic suggestions are great, but how many nwcfl clubs go to the lengths our club does to keep people in the loop? I think we pitched it totally correctly, we exist for a reason. A similar reason to many community clubs, and all of them have taken on a similar identity to the former club. The sticking point for us is that that club still rumbles on somehow and still creates a lot of negative press. I do not think people in Northwich confuse 1874 and Vics. I think many of them (like Nicki?) just lost their enthusiasm for local football. The club must get back to Northwich, this is the crux of the problem.

Back