• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Tonight's Branding Presentation

Andy

Too much time on my hands
Politics 5
Jul 28, 2013
Got to say well done to the lads the produced it, it was absolutely outstanding

We really have to take this proposed branding and run with it, that is on par with the top clubs in the country, and head and shoulders above most of nonleague.

Branding is so important in sport these days, to use an example, look at Warrington Wolves, they had a rebrand and new logo last summer, fast forward 10 months, attendances are up from 9000 to 120000, season ticket sales were the highest in years despite having the worst season in years last year, all thanks to the brand new marketing of the club.

I think this is an opportunity we can't pass on. The club being successful on and off the pitch goes hand in hand. If you want to be successful on the pitch, you have to be successful off the pitch, attracting fans building the image, buts more money in the coffers for Ian to spend I the squad.

Sure, in the short term a rebrand might upset a few (seen it at Warrington myself), fast forward less than a year, everyone's on board and the clubs bigger than ever. If we want to distance ourselves from JRFC and the toxic image that brings, if we want to grow as a club, this proposed/ possible branding strategy is the right way to go 100%.

I'd have to second that point. What the three lads put together was something that most non-league, if not league clubs haven't thought of yet, and particularly at this point in our club's history we really need to look at setting ourselves apart from other local teams. Regardless of the disagreements over a possible badge change (which in my opinion looks pretty smart), or a redefining of exactly what colours we play in, I would say everyone is in agreement about increasing positive marketing and looking at new avenues in which to promote what we stand for, and who we represent.

There are a lot of people who do a great job in terms of social media, marketing and broadcasting (more so than any club around our level) - and this definitely shouldn't be seen as a dismissal of what we've been doing so far, because I think its top. However, embracing this sort of expertise and forward thinking is something I think we should all jump on board with.

No idea what has been proposed or said about a rebranding, will there be a report on the meeting?

Disappointed to read about a badge change, our badge is unique, it represents a club reborn from the ashes, turning the other cheek, looking and moving in a new direction.
What does the new proposed badge look like?
Will we also be looking at a name change as well?
Who are the lads that did the presentation?

Tony,

No to the name change, the idea of the badge is similar to some of the badges from German football teams. Very very nice

Tony,

No to the name change, the idea of the badge is similar to some of the badges from German football teams. Very very nice

I don't see a problem with our current badge, if we want to distance ourselves from JRFC we should drop the formation date of Vics and Northwich, maybe Vale Royal FC or Weaver Vale FC.

If the rebranding is proposed and carried by the membership, we'll all have to accept it, after all that's democracy.

Tony.

There was a presentation by fans who are also in the marketing business and their reason was that 1874 needs to build up a distinct and separate identity from all that has gone before which is particularly important given the recent press coverage of JRFC.
It is still a fact which is confirmed regularly in Northwich by many locals that we are JRFC

I think that the whole rationale of the re-branding exercise is not only to increase awareness of our club but by doing so to increase the potential income without which we cannot move on.

In my opinion we must utilize the marketing expertise of these fans and carry this programme forward to achieve these longer term goals.

Moving off topic slightly has anything been discussed regarding plans to attract the youth of Northwich which in my opinion is vital also for the clubs future

That's fine but if the badge goes, the name should too, we can not move forward whilst we carry the formation date of Vics and the town name, the name Northwich in football circles is also now toxic, just my opinion.

The presentation will sum it all up better than we can in here, no doubt someone will post a link here or email it out.

The badge is more indicative of a more focused branding campaign that encompasses all levels of the club, from match day posters to commercial marketing. Don't let that be the only thing taken away from what the lads put forward. It should also be said that it was a potential new badge - I'm sure that if we decide to go ahead with the plans then a few designs would be suggested and voted on. I also believe they said that a copy of the presentation would be made available with the minutes.

Matt there was a lot of issues raised tonight, one of the most popular was attracting new and younger supporters down to watch '74. I'm sure the board will take all the ideas put forward into consideration, but its also up to us as regular fans or members to come up with our own ideas and take responsibility for taking those forward ourselves.

I'm sorry is it only me? I'm failing to understand how changing our badge (Which is completely unrelated to Vics apart from the fact that it's a bird) will distance ourselves from Vics, when we'll be keeping their formation date in our name. It should either be all or nothing or maybe change it to our formation date of 2012.

If the presentation had suggested changing the name and the badge that would be more understandable to me, the fact that the badge has been singled out is a bit strange.

Last edited:
Its about modernising and making the club more appealing to younger fans, and you have to realise, we are not Vics, we are 1874, its unique and we should be proud of that. Hense the new badge's emphasis on the 74 aspect. Its really good Tony/Matt, wait until you see the examples the lads put together.

Big thanks to John, Ash and Ben for their hard work. Can't wait to see where it takes us!

The fact is Tony, and I know this has happened on more than one occasion when I've been in my '74 top, that when people see the badge they automatically think of the other Northwich team. I love the current badge and it was even a friend of mine that designed it, but if were looking at setting ourselves apart then we need to look at creating our own identity. I think changing the name would be a step too far, but wait and have a look over the presentation and see what you think. The majority of us there tonight were pretty impressed with what was suggested.

Always preferred AFC Northwich as a name, agree that the badge doesn't need to be touched, its fine as it is.

Our names etched on the Mid Cheshire Cup now, I don't want that to be changed!

Its about modernising and making the club more appealing to younger fans, and you have to realise, we are not Vics, we are 1874, its unique and we should be proud of that. Hense the new badge's emphasis on the 74 aspect. Its really good Tony/Matt, wait until you see the examples the lads put together.

Big thanks to John, Ash and Ben for their hard work. Can't wait to see where it takes us!

Yes its unique, its the formation date of another football club, Northwich Victoria FC who we are trying to distance ourselves from. How on earth do we explain the 74 aspect of the club without mentioning Vics?

The one point being missed here is,the true Vics formed in 1874 was disbanded in 1890,and the Vics of today is a totally different club.So the 1874 has nothing to do the present Vics.The 1874 Northwich name is our name and has no connection with the present day Vics,we should not be ashamed of using Northwich,it's our town,Northwich Cricket Club and Northwich Rugby Club are not associated with Mr Rushe's Vics because of having Northwich in their name,after all it's our town and it's the name Vics we are ashamed of not Northwich.I myself voted for A.F.C. Northwich,but the majority voted 1874 so that's our name and should stay.As for last nights meeting I thought it showed what talented and committed people we have at our club.

Back