• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Tonight's Branding Presentation

Its all about being noticed for who we are, like Mark said, when you wear the 74 top, people see the badge and think we are Vics.

It was just an idea from two supporters on how we can create our own brand image, thats not just the badge, for example documents at the club have the same design/template (Team Sheets, Posters, Newsletter, Website) adding a professional look to what we do, also using this change as a campaign (We Are 74 Campaign), and begin to do work including schools and colleges in attempts to attract younger fans. Hopefully the proposal will be sent to everyone via email very soon so then you can see it all put together and explained better than I can do.

Presumably non-attendees will be let in on the detail at some point in some way? :(
Rob Ashcroft said the minutes of the meeting & the presentation will be sent out to owners.

"..... or a redefining of exactly what colours we play in....."
What 'exactly' does this mean?
Not sure I heard anything about redefining our colours. The colours are green, black & white still but maybe more use of black in the future.

As for the badge...
With hindsight I think we made a mistake when we choose the current badge. There were 6 options and they were all Vics like, a different selection of designs might have resulted in a different choice.
The fact is a lot of people see the badge & think Vics. As we grow our identity we need to educate people that we're not Vics. A change of badge would help that enormously.

One other thing to note - the marketing proposal was much more than lets change the badge.

One other thing to note - the marketing proposal was much more than lets change the badge.

The badge was the only controversial element though, it was inevitable it would be the talking point. Everything else was (well presented) common sense!

My 2p - I hope that the board take these guys up with their offer and fully commit to the branding. If it's done it needs doing whole hog, even if it's inconvenient waiting for things to be produced at times.

The Name and the Colours should not change imo and will not unless the membership of the club decides otherwise- that is how we work. They are a nod to where we have come from, aside from that we can progress. How many clubs have changed their crest since their birth, the answer I would suggest is a lot, Leeds Utd, Leicester City, even clubs in our own league, Colls and Rochdale for instance. As has been said the amount of times I have been asked in the pub by an innocent member of the public how THEY went on is getting a bit tiresome now. Word is getting out and certainly once he is sent down, hopefully with TV coverage to boot, it may change a few perceptions.
We are a progressive and forward thinking bunch of supporters and that was shown on the whole by the reception of John's presentation last night, I for one am fully behind it.
#WE ARE '74

The presentation was excellent and one I really think we should move forward with, The badge we have has served a purpose and is really good but I feel the time is now right to look at this. The only issue is not wanting to upset anybody within the fan base by incorporating this change, Do we have an open fans vote so people can have the opportunity to look at this proposal before it is potentially changed so everybody gets a say.
The name stays and the colours (green, white and black) stay in my opinion but we should change that horrible away strip that nobody voted for.

Just to clarify, "a redefining of the colours" was reference to the discussion over whether we should be predominantly green and black, rather than green, white, and black. Sounds like splitting hairs, but it makes sense in line with the rest of the proposal.

For those doubters I'd say have a look at the presentation (when its made available) before making a cast iron decision.

I'm 100 % with Toddy on this one and the name 1874 Northwich has to stay with us.
there is nothiing wrong with our badge to change would look as though we made a hasty decission when we all had to go through such a heart rendering and soul searching proccess to come this far.
Yes we need youngsters to support our club llike our Aaron why have we not got them maybe because our ground isn't in Northwich and the problem could be transport or they might just like to walk to the ground

The sample crest from last night looked very much like Hannover (you were right with the club Chris!)

Hannover_96.png

So we DO want to distance ourselves from JRFC by changing our badge but we DON'T want to distance ourselves from JRFC by keeping their formation date in our name..... Have I got that right?

Although I like our current badge I am fine with an updating/relaunch to reflect a more 21st century image. Being a Germanist I'm also fine with pinching design ideas from the most fan-orientated major league in Europe - Schalke 04 and Mainz 05 are two others that come to mind where the number is fairly prominent on their more modernistic crest. And none of these are "young" clubs. And finally after all, our name choice originated prompted by 1860 München having their significant date at the front.

It goes without saying that I'm for keeping the name. Could be worse - we could have lumbered ourselves with one based on Stuttgarter Kickers, or Energie Cottbus. Or have the dilemma of 1. FC Kaiserslautern, whose badge looks like it spells out something distinctly indecent in German. (look it up and use your imagination)

As for the colours debate - I was always more in favour of green/black as the main colours.

So we DO want to distance ourselves from JRFC by changing our badge but we DON'T want to distance ourselves from JRFC by keeping their formation date in our name..... Have I got that right?

Do people see the name 1874 and think Vics? - No for me
Do people see our crest (on a green & white shirt) and think Vics? - Probably, it's very very similar.

After three years there's still a fair proportion of the town that don't even know we exist. The only way that changes is if the other lot disappear or we differentiate from them.

Also; there was no talk of changing colours last night. All that was discussed was making the black more prominent than the white.

I don't think it's the badge what's the problem I can go out in are away top and no as never come up to me and ask how vics are doing if I go out in are home top and its non stop how vics are going on The people of northwich will always associate Green and White with vics

Think that it is important to mention - as these matters do appear to be being overshadowed by the debate regrading the thought provoking, well structured and very compelling 're-branding' proposals - that the event last night also covered a number of other highly relevant and important topics including the latest position re securing a future home for 1874 in the Northwich area and giving fans / members a real say and input into the formulation of the next business plan. Pretty sure that it is the plan to make available the notes / main outcomes of the meetings available to fans / members, either on the web-site, via e-mail, newsletter or combination of these. Personally speaking, I thought that the presentation / ideas that John and Ash presented were a breath of fresh air and absolutely top draw. Fantastic work fellas!

Would be interested to hear anyone's thoughts re the other aspects of last night's meeting....

Unfortunately for those that weren't there we are not able to comment as we have no idea what was said. I'm sure once the minutes have been published we will be in a position to do so.
Regarding any rebranding, I don't think our club badge is the main problem, in my opinion it's our name.....

Agree, the only part of the presentation made public so far is the badge and I'm sure that when the whole presentation is released it will be met with congratulations.

As has been said the amount of times I have been asked in the pub by an innocent member of the public how THEY went on is getting a bit tiresome now

They can only get it wrong once Chris! Besides you could take great pleasure in using the extra marketing opportunity to educate the badge blind people of Northwich.
In my opinion the badge is not the issue, its more likely the green and white shirt.

Back