• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Step 5 promotion null & void ?

FWIW i’ve already signed it ;)

If the FA thought there was no reasonable chance of completing the season before the beginning of May, presumably a decision had to be made as all the clubs contracts/registrations would lapse. Players might not necessarily want their registrations extended to carry on with the same team and so it follows that the resumption of the league would not be played with teams containing the same groups of players as they have now, whether that is in May or (say) August.

I think that the Premier League will make their own decision, irrespective of the FA. That will mean that the outcome for the Premier League/EFL teams may not necessarily be the same as for non-league. There are also mega millions at stake and places in Uefa competitions worth millions more, so its a fair bet to say the PL will finish their season in some form as unfair as that seems to non league clubs

Last edited:
I think one of the issues which seems to be arising, is the FA have made their decision without much, if any, consultation with respective leagues up and down the country, let alone taken on board the views of clubs.

A decision had to be made, I get that. No decision made was ever going to be universally popular, I get that too. However that decision needed to be seen as fair and equitable for all leagues under FA jurisdiction and it looks like that won’t be happening.

For the FA to assert that it will continue to pursue conclusion of its national cup competitions, because they are at an advanced stage, while in the same breath declaring Step 3- 7 leagues season, also at an advanced stage, null and void, seems somewhat contradictory?

If nothing else Knutsfordian, we can both agree i’m sure, that there are tough times ahead for many clubs, regardless of what Step they play. Even the most prudent financially will feel the pinch, and for those who have been more “cavalier” with their budgeting, speculating to accumulate perhaps ........ time will tell ....... ?

The bigger picture. Difficult weeks ..... months ahead for us all in our daily lives. Right now I think we’d all settle for negotiating those safely, as much as we love our sport. ;)

Tez, don't misunderstand me. I am not saying that the FA decision is fair or equitable. I was just proffering a rationale as to why they made a decision - basically that the contract/registration position of players in non league is/may be different than in the PL/EFL and therefore its difficult to either extend the season or restart leagues later in the year. I have no idea why one particular solution was chosen over another - an award of average points won per game would seem to be the fairest?

I absolutely agree we all (including our football clubs) face difficult times and our challenge ,which we all must win, is to see the start of the next season whenever that may be

Yes , I realised you weren’t passing an opinion about fairness. PPG would seem fairer, as would taking league positions as they stand. Of course I’m bound to say that given ‘74 standing this year, however two seasons ago (assuming league form had been up to scratch too) I might not have viewed that rationale in the same way. ;)
I think the main issue is the FA’s apparent ambivalence towards open dialogue with the leagues. They may all collectively, after much discussion have (with regret) reached the same decision. But of course they didn’t or least don’t appear to have done that.

I don't know how much dialogue took place other than the leagues committees seem to have acquiesced in the decision to end the competitions .Nor do I know how much the views of individual clubs was taken into account. No doubt lots of law suits to follow down the leagues from PL to North west counties. All I am surmising is why they (the FA) didn't wait to get the results of the PL decision and let that trickle down the leagues. There must have been pressure from the bottom up for a decision.

They just need to pull their finger out and make a decision. But then this is the FA we're talking about.

The FA probably read one of the earliest postings, from Alan M no less, insisting the FA get their finger out. Oops.

I don't know how much dialogue took place other than the leagues committees seem to have acquiesced in the decision to end the competitions .Nor do I know how much the views of individual clubs was taken into account. No doubt lots of law suits to follow down the leagues from PL to North west counties. All I am surmising is why they (the FA) didn't wait to get the results of the PL decision and let that trickle down the leagues. There must have been pressure from the bottom up for a decision.

The statement by Paul Lawler on behalf of the NWCFL suggests that they may well have been presented with a decision before the meeting/any discussion took place. Probably not the best move if they FA want to profess fairness and equanimity in reaching a decision.

This was on the NPL website

"The NPL, Isthmian and Southern Leagues are unanimous in wanting to terminate the 2019/20 season immediately. Whether that is done on the basis of determining the final placings via average points per game, or the season is declared null and void cannot be decided until the National League’s intentions are confirmed "

So looks like there was some consultation

This was on the NPL website

"The NPL, Isthmian and Southern Leagues are unanimous in wanting to terminate the 2019/20 season immediately. Whether that is done on the basis of determining the final placings via average points per game, or the season is declared null and void cannot be decided until the National League’s intentions are confirmed "

So looks like there was some consultation
But not with Step 5 leagues and below it would appear, unless Paul Lawler’s statement was inaccurate?

don't know the answer to that one, but suspect when a decision is made at one level it cascades on the leagues below?

But possibly without further consultation? Anyway it is what it is. Representations will be made and I ’m sure further discussion will ensue; although I won’t hold my breath on a different outcome.

No shortage of discussion amongst National League Chairman too about what outcome each of their respective clubs desire, if social media is to be believed of course. You sense there might not be a consensus amongst them as to which way to jump. Different agendas, different levels of financial security and financial anxiety. Further desperation doubtless fuelling further debate to be had in the coming weeks. ;)

From Simmo's twitter feed ( https://twitter.com/simmo_on_sport ) the other day...

FA asked NPL board at 5pm Friday to share view on what next steps should be. Set deadline 9am Monday
Given three options: extend season, end it with PPG, or null and void

NPL felt couldn't consult member clubs properly in time frame.

It seems clubs at step 4 weren't consulted & the step 5/6 Leagues weren't consulted at all

don'y know the answer - Mark Harris might but not heard anything other then the NPL statement

Harris features on p2 of the NLP today.

Range of views from managers in various leagues in there, though it doesn't help to have a front page headline of "Steps 3 to 7 opt to call it a day", when it is pretty clear it was the FA who opted for this and there is little if any evidence of the clubs having any involvement in the decision.

And joint letter to FA from across NL here
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If there are something like 1600 non league clubs in total, how much weight will the FA attach to 60/70 objections? I am sure in making the decision they must have been prepared for an amount of fall out from some clubs.

However the greater problem with mounting an appeal is that if the consenting clubs acted immediately on the basis of the confirmed announcement to lay off non contract players, or ratification of the decision by the FA Council runs beyond the first week of May, then any appeal may be ineffectual as some clubs may no longer be able to field teams. They can hardly be charged with failing to fulfil fixtures after acting on the FA's instruction to void the leagues.

I am not saying that it is the right answer, but I don't think there is the financial might within the lower leagues to sustain an extended season without funding handed down from sat the Premier League. Given the PL liabilities to find hundreds of million of £s if their season doesn't finish, I wouldn't hold out much hope in that direction. The FA will also come under huge financial pressure given deferment of the Euros, so I bet they are feeling the pinch too. Overall its a mess, but ,ost importantly we get to fight another day.

Back