• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Step 5 promotion null & void ?

Serious question, answer honestly.

What would u want to happen if 1874 were mid table or relegation spot.

What if 1874 were going toe to toe for the league against say Runcorn. Knowing u had the home game to come, 500-600 home fans screaming urging the players to that important 3 pts. Accept behind close doors giving unfair advantage to the fact Runcorn had fans at the first game. Every match (8-9) of them would partly give an unfair advantage to the away team.

Last edited:
Serious answer, I would like to think that I would feel that those who had got themselves into a promotion position on merit thus far, would be rewarded. However we aren’t (currently) talking about PPG, the discussion is about everyone being dealt with equally and fairly. If the the whole of Non-league for arguments sake was null and void then that would be a start. At least then all of non-league would’ve been dealt the same hand.

I agree every league up and down the country should be treated the same. All null and void. Like I said in my first post if they still want to restructor the leagues for when ever it restarts then PPG is definitely fair. But no trophy's should be awarded.

Although the NWCFL were fully supportive of clubs impacted by null & void and wanted, at the very least to preserve the season’s records, I think they would’ve baulked(and rightly so perhaps) at awarding trophies.; with the understandable exception of Vauxhall Motors?

My view is that if 1874 were mid-table would be exactly as it is now. The FA acted too fast, or more correctly, extremely unfairly by closing down the minnows but not the bigger fish. As GG has said they should have treated all teams at all levels in the same way and then no-one should complain (although Liverpool and Leeds would probably have been irate!)

The trouble with that proposition is that its not down to the FA. The PL and UEFA will also want an outcome to ensure they get the millions they need to distribute to the clubs and affiliated bodies, as well as the list of competitor clubs for next seasons competitions

The trouble with that proposition is that its not down to the FA. The PL and UEFA will also want an outcome to ensure they get the millions they need to distribute to the clubs and affiliated bodies, as well as the list of competitor clubs for next seasons competitions
In which case the FA should have waited and followed suit for all levels instead of annoying so many people.

Don't disagree with the sentiments - but, I suspect, the FA would say they were forced to take action by the different circumstances that apply to the lower leagues and the urgency to bring non league football to a conclusion?

Knutsfordian if I was a betting man I'd say the PL are hoping the government makes the decision for them. That way they can hold their hands up and say we tried but it's been taken out of our hands. As for UEFA well they should think before they open there mouth. Atlanta vs Valencia cause this virus to spread in that area big time. No European games will get played as much as they stamp their feet. This virus needs to take priority over football.

Even in the event of the lock down being lifted, it seems a reasonable assumption that large gatherings will not be allowed for quite some considerable time - or until a vaccine becomes available. So I agree that a resumption of games on the current basis is probably a non-starter for this season and maybe even the next one too. The only reasonable prospect is for football to be played behind closed doors for the foreseeable future. If that is the case, then it follows the the Premier League will press to finish this season behind closed doors and prove the safety and medical challenges in readiness for next season too.

Whats yr plan. How is it possible while there is social distancing in place that games can be played behind closed doors. Do u seriously expect everything player and staff member for each club to be tested before each game. Do these tests give instant results? If not does that mean u expect players to be locked down for weeks on end, no contact with their family's just so we have a bit of footy on the TV. Football has helped spread this virus across Europe. Do u honestly think Liverpool fans won't turn up at the stadium if they can win the league that game. Like u said no gatherings until a vaccine, possibly mid next year. The sooner football accepts it isn't important right now. Null and void every league, forget about finishing league/cups. Lets beat this virus properly. Start again only when its safe for fans to return. Football at the top is going to see their bubble burst. In the long run NL teams might pick up those lost fans who have had enough of billionaires trying to claim government handouts.

If the government insists on the social distancing rules that we have now, there is a lot of merit in what you say. However, I suspect that the rules will be relaxed to enable schools and universities to re-open their doors, shops and restaurants to bring some measure of normality back to the high street and thus open the door for some sports to resume, albeit without crowds. Sport is a hugely important part of our social fabric, so I think the government will be persuaded to allow the recommencement of some sports by flexing the rules on social distancing as an enabler for this to happen. If they don't there may not be any sport for the next 2 years until a vaccine is available.

So u think its OK for footballers to play a contact sport but us mere mortals not able to interact with family members. People need to accept there won't be any meaningful sports for a while. Until its safe for us to mingle that is. Then we have to expect a second wave. Shops will start to be allowed to open I agree but only ones that can guarantee social distance. Possibly by appointment only. A vaccine is the only way we can finally get back to normal.

Lets hope its soon. But if not so be it. I can and will live without going to watch my team. Imagine football starting again next summer with the euros, then after that has wetted the appetite, a new fresh league campaign to get the juices flowing. Football reborn. Less wages cheaper tickets.

Would the FA be hesitant is declaring the Premier League and the Championship 'null and void' because of the fear that the bigger clubs can afford better lawyers?
If so then are the FA concerned that their actions are questionable in a court of law?
That would suggest that they have shut down steps 3- 7 because the FA believe that no clubs from that level can afford better lawyers?
What if the clubs shared resources?

If a season is declared 'null and void' can participants claim for expenses accrued during the season?
To start a competition, allow participants to incur costs, and then declare that the competition never actually existed could be construed as fraud?

So u think its OK for footballers to play a contact sport but us mere mortals not able to interact with family members. People need to accept there won't be any meaningful sports for a while. Until its safe for us to mingle that is. Then we have to expect a second wave. Shops will start to be allowed to open I agree but only ones that can guarantee social distance. Possibly by appointment only. A vaccine is the only way we can finally get back to normal.

Lets hope its soon. But if not so be it. I can and will live without going to watch my team. Imagine football starting again next summer with the euros, then after that has wetted the appetite, a new fresh league campaign to get the juices flowing. Football reborn. Less wages cheaper tickets.

I didn't say that it was OK for footballers to play under the current distancing rules - what I said was I think the distancing rules will be relaxed and at that time the PL will find a way to resume games, albeit behind closed doors. If football doesn't resume until next summer with the Euros (which is pretty implausible really), most Premier league and EFL teams will be defunct, bankrupted by contracts they have to pay, but starved of the attendance and TV revenues they would fold en masse.

At some point there is a balance to be struck between saving lives and saving the economy and the very fabric of our day to day lives, including football. Life will restart with some risks taken regarding distancing, but based on the ability of the health and care services to cope with the upturn in infections and deaths. In a normal year something like 500,000 people die in the UK. So in the first 3 months of the year around 150,000 will have died from all sorts of causes - to which Coronovirus has probably added around another 15,000. So, whilst not minimising the dreadful effects of the virus we have to make sure that we don't break the country we live in at all costs and to try and live with no risks. We can't keep the country closed until next summer - it isn't possible

Would the FA be hesitant is declaring the Premier League and the Championship 'null and void' because of the fear that the bigger clubs can afford better lawyers?
If so then are the FA concerned that their actions are questionable in a court of law?
That would suggest that they have shut down steps 3- 7 because the FA believe that no clubs from that level can afford better lawyers?
What if the clubs shared resources?

If a season is declared 'null and void' can participants claim for expenses accrued during the season?
To start a competition, allow participants to incur costs, and then declare that the competition never actually existed could be construed as fraud?

I think the FA haven't declared the season null and void because I don't think they have the power to do so to the PL. The EFL clubs are still clinging on to the hope that they will get promoted to enjoy the riches of the PL.

As to whether NL participants can claim for expenses is one for the lawyers

So what do u both want. Games played behind closed doors meaning the PL clubs get there wedge. What about The Championship, Div 1-2, all the NL teams that depend on people through the gate to survive. Do u honestly think u will be watching football come July/August. That all this effort of social distancing is just for a couple of months. Any league restarted after months of a break, played with different squads, different rules lose there meaning. Wait until the second wave hits us then the third. Null and void everything and start when it's safe for fans cos football without fans is nothing.

Just noticed that the death of Norman Hunter has just been announced due to coronovirus - very poignant considering the debate we are having

Back