• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Morpeth game off

Pete I think a midweek replay is fine in principle. If we'd been at home initially then we'd have had to make plans in case of a draw and to some extent we'd only have ourselves to blame for not getting the job done in the first place.

IF there is any room for negotiation and it helped to oil the wheels of the discussion, then I'm sure most would be willing to forgo the opportunity of a replay now and agree to play to a result if the game could be rescheduled for next weekend?

From Northwich to Morpeth without traffic is around 3 hours 30, so imagine in the rush hour traffic? Not a chance of making it for kick off, probably arrive more around 9ish, unbelievable if its on Wednesday night

I am sure that Vikki is busy consulting with the FA. I for one will not be able to attend the game on Wednesday because of my work and I would imagine the many of our supporters will not be able to attend for the same reason. I would imagine that the management and players are having difficulty getting time off work again to travel up to Morpeth on Wednesday. I would expect an official announcement to be made shortly by the club about fulfilling this fixture on Wednesday when we know for certain whether or not we can get a team up there on the day.

Please note - this post is my own comment and not that of the Board or the Football club

Last edited:
The point I was making is that there is no ideal solution. A national competition for clubs who, on the whole, have limited flexibility with players and limited resources to keep pitches in good enough condition to reduce postponement will always pose problems. Goodness knows how Cornish clubs cope with the travel!
It's perfectly correct that Morpeth know what happens if there is a replay necessary - but so did we know the implications of a Saturday game being off when we entered! I think each argument has a counter argument and whilst I'm not always a fan of the FA I do think this is a difficult one to resolve. Any postponement of a Saturday game has implications for 2 other teams and why should they be inconvenienced for our and Morpeth' s benefit? The benefit to our fans of a Saturday game deprives supporters of 2 other clubs elsewhere their game this coming weekend.
I think we have to accept that someone loses out and we know the risks when we enter. I just hope the 2 clubs, their respective leagues, other clubs affected and the FA exhibit some common sense and EXPLAIN why the decision, whatever it is, is made. Too often in situations like this fans are left in the dark as to why things happen as they do.

The point I was making is that there is no ideal solution. A national competition for clubs who, on the whole, have limited flexibility with players and limited resources to keep pitches in good enough condition to reduce postponement will always pose problems. Goodness knows how Cornish clubs cope with the travel!
It's perfectly correct that Morpeth know what happens if there is a replay necessary - but so did we know the implications of a Saturday game being off when we entered! I think each argument has a counter argument and whilst I'm not always a fan of the FA I do think this is a difficult one to resolve. Any postponement of a Saturday game has implications for 2 other teams and why should they be inconvenienced for our and Morpeth' s benefit? The benefit to our fans of a Saturday game deprives supporters of 2 other clubs elsewhere their game this coming weekend.
I think we have to accept that someone loses out and we know the risks when we enter. I just hope the 2 clubs, their respective leagues, other clubs affected and the FA exhibit some common sense and EXPLAIN why the decision, whatever it is, is made. Too often in situations like this fans are left in the dark as to why things happen as they do.

There are provisions within the rules to allow them to schedule the game at a weekend. FA Competitions always take precedence above all county and league competitions, so it would be well within the existing rules to allow a weekend relay. From the 4th round onwards (where the competition goes fully national), all replays are the following Saturday anyway!

Surely for yourselves if you haven't had confirmation yet about the game on Wednesday then it has to be Saturday? It's now 15:00 on Monday and you haven't even started making arrangements for coaches and time off work your going to really struggle.

We got confirmation at 16:00 on Saturday that we had to play on Tuesday and had already lodged and lost an appeal by that time.

I think you guys will play on Saturday, they can't give you 24hrs notice for a journey like that. Hopefully common sense will prevail.

Good luck!

Still crazy that nobody knows properly what day this tie will take place if people still want to go they don't even know if to book an afternoon off work

Good luck to you lads but can't do saturday but hope thats when it is for everybodys sake.

No help to us in the current situation, but maybe someone should visit the underlying issue of what constitutes a "regional" draw? It would possibly be better to divide the country not only north/south but also east/west, particularly given that N/S road links tend to be better than E/W throughout the country. The Southern League already divides its lower tier into SL South and SL South-West to help with this, and that's one tier higher than us.
If the national stage of the Vase has Saturday replays then the FA are clearly aware of problems around distances at this level. We (and Linnets) have been singularly unfortunate on this occasion, and I can see Pete's arguments about the knock-on effects, but I would also question what would constitute the "exceptional circumstances" mentioned in the FA Vase rules at 11.1 (i).

Aaron Kirk is unavailable Wednesday & Wellstead and Farnsworth are cup-tied I believe.

Hope common sense prevails and it's a Saturday. I'm another one (I suspect of many) who cannot make a Wednesday night. I agree with Ste, surely the FA can't possibly only give us 24 hours a notice? But then... it is the FA I guess...

The club need to give out a statement now confirming whether it's been lost or won and if not sort out Wednesday's away travel

Thanks Alan, yes the Club is a load of volunteers, and some actually couldn't make the drama event this evening despite looking forward to it. Unfortunately other pressing issues got in the way!

I have just put out an initial statement from the Club on the FC site, which I know will filter through to the forum.

There will be more to follow later today, but for now I am switching off.............

I am gutted as a fan its a Wednesday eve takes the whole atmosphere out of what the game should have had. However I am hoping to travel up just waiting to hear if there is a possibility of a small bus and dependant on leaving time, rather than driving( will offer lifts) at least then can get my head down on way back as like most back in work the following day.

Thanks Alan, yes the Club is a load of volunteers, and some actually couldn't make the drama event this evening despite looking forward to it. Unfortunately other pressing issues got in the way!

I have just put out an initial statement from the Club on the FC site, which I know will filter through to the forum.

There will be more to follow later today, but for now I am switching off.............

Thanks for the update Vicki, I'm sure we all appreciate the efforts both you and the Board have made here.

Back