• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Morpeth game off

Rule 11 c (iii)
If the match be drawn or again postponed or abandoned it shall be played as directed
by the National Game Board.

Seems to suggest (the rules being less than totally clear!) that a second postponement will lead to the FA making a decision, so they'll probably order the match to be played on Thursday evening in Bodmin, on the basis that the weather in Cornwall is a bit less inclement.

IF this is the case for us, I for one will not be making the journey. No holidays left this year, and even if I drove straight from work would probably not get there in time. Getting back home afterwards would be as bad. Thank you FA for sweet FA.

I can't make it if it is Wednesday, I doubt many fans will - or even worse, how many players will be unable to make it?

How can a competition be meaningful when the FA are going against all logic.

Surely the FA want their competition to be highly attended, and have the matches as close and as even as possible? Not on.

We could refuse to travel but then we'll get kicked out of the competition and probably fined so we're stuffed either way

The F,A. again have again proved they have no interest in the grass roots of football,they do not seem to understand the how small clubs struggle to make ends meet.Just as long as they get T.V. deal's in the millions to them that's what footballs about to them,the fans and the sport is only secondary to them.

I have just sent this to the FA. via the contact form on the FA website.
"Can you please explain to me why it is sensible for the FA Vase rearranged fixtures for my club 1874 Northwich and secondly Runcorn Linnets to have midweek dates.
Both clubs have in excess of 300 mile round trip to make for the evening fixtures at Morpeth Town and Marske United respectively. Our clubs are both fans run and are well supported, the midweek fixture will negate that fact as most fans will be unable to travel. This will give the home sides a massive advantage which cannot be fair.
Both sets of players have jobs outside of football and responsibilities to their families. To take time off work is not easy and not all employers are so accommodating and therefore it is a good possibility that both sides will not be at full strength, which is again is handing a massive advantage to the home teams.
I am asking that you use common sense and instigate the clause in the rules that states " The National Game Board may, in exceptional circumstances, approve the playing of postponed or abandoned matches on the following Saturday". This will ensure that the competition will be played on a level playing field and not endanger peoples jobs and families.
I await your response by return.
Alan Riding 1874 Northwich shareholder."

I note that the FA are amongst those organisations which keep their email contact details hidden behind a "register with us first" wall. Not particularly customer/fan friendly.

Has there been any confirmation that this will be on Wednesday? If not, then this is leaving everyone with very short notice, most notably, the players.

I know this is probably going to be the day of the game, given Linnets have to go a long way for their game as well, but I'd like to know for definite when we're playing.

I note that the FA are amongst those organisations which keep their email contact details hidden behind a "register with us first" wall. Not particularly customer/fan friendly.
I have a FAN number! So I am registered, but this fan is having problems seeing his team as they are playing 200 miles away on a midweek night!!

Really hope that there is so Sort of away travel whenever the game is really want to go and if game on Wednesday hope can get as many fans up there as the team will as much support as we can get

If the game is on Wednesday then I will be one of the very few 74s who will be there, IF the Coach travel is available. Clearly common sense does not apply on this issue by the FA, if it ever does !!.

Have we had an official response from the FA with regard to moving Wednesday's game? Presumably at this point we've had to plan for a midweek trip and determine whether we've eleven available players to take the field?

I really hope we can beat them without extra time! otherwise it will be even later when we get back.

Morpeth website says the will host 1874 on Wednesday 8pm kick off
They put that straight after our game was postponed, they have updated the teams through to the next round, nothing from the FA yet about the date/time.

I find myself a bit torn on the issue of when the game should be played. I often think the FA are out of touch with fans but I can see why they might be reluctant to change.
If it was played next Saturday and it ended as a draw then presumably Morpeth could expect the same consideration and the replay would be on Saturday 5th Dec. If we won that the next round is on the 12th and given we would be playing up in the north east again what if the same thing happened again? You would lose the last Saturday before Xmas to the first game and possibly still have a replay outstanding! Given we are still in the early stages of the Vase just a few problems like this across the country could lead to chaos.
League fixtures would be severely disrupted in several leagues meaning a possible fixture pile up later on and clubs not involved in the cup losing revenue as their Saturday games are lost.
I don't think there is an ideal solution at this level of football. If we want a national competition then we have to accept it has to fit around league commitments and ensure clubs no longer in it are not messed about too much.
My solution would be a Saturday game but decided on the day by pens if necessary.

Back