• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Morpeth game off

I think any replay would logically be the following midweek Matt. Would seem a tad unfair having pulled off what would appear to have been a monumental result in difficult circumstances, to then give the opposition the luxury of their usual weekend squad and more free time to make the journey. ....... That said, the FA move in mysterious ways.

Morpeth have a cup game themselves on Tuesday away at Whitley according to their website, couldn't we move our Men Utd game against Ashton to Tuesday and the vase on the Saturday?

Like a few others, i stayed over on the Friday, and was gutted to hear that the game was off on Saturday. Yes, a brief snow flurry in the early hours, but it had gone by daylight on Saturday. I decided to call at the ground before i left, and upon first inspection the pitch didn't look too bad, but the vice chairman invited me on to the pitch to show me the problem areas. There was one area in the centre of the pitch that was really muddy, you just sank into the ground, also there was another area towards the right wing that was also very similar. I did try to load some pics to this post to show you all, but i couldn't work out how to do it, so you will just have to trust me on this one when i say that it wasn't good.

Incidentally, the vice chairman also told me that the match ref had travelled over from Sunderland in the morning, and that it was he who called the game off, not a local official.

Reactions: Tez
Question is will the pitch be recovered sufficiently to be fit for action for Wednesday now?

2c and raining when we left this morning. I'd say very doubtful for Wednesday given the forecast

Big IF given it may (or may not) dry up in time for Wednesday, but if the game was unfortunately postponed again, what happens then? Rearranged for Morpeth on Saturday or next midweek? Am I confusing the rules of our own League Cup, where there the home side are limited in the number of attempts to get their pitch fit for play before the tie reverts to the away club? Anyone able to clarify?

Tez, have checked the Vase rules and can't find anything inrelation to your query but the following extract suggests that playing the postponed game on the following Saturday is a possibility.

First matches which are Postponed or Abandoned

1. (i) When a first match has been postponed, or is abandoned before the completion of 90

minutes and neither Club being at fault, it shall be played on the same ground:

in the Qualifying Competition and First, Second and Third Rounds Proper – on or before the following Thursday. The National Game Board may, in exceptional circumstances, approve the playing of postponed or abandoned matches on the following Saturday.

Tez, have checked the Vase rules and can't find anything inrelation to your query but the following extract suggests that playing the postponed game on the following Saturday is a possibility.

First matches which are Postponed or Abandoned

1. (i) When a first match has been postponed, or is abandoned before the completion of 90

minutes and neither Club being at fault, it shall be played on the same ground:

in the Qualifying Competition and First, Second and Third Rounds Proper – on or before the following Thursday. The National Game Board may, in exceptional circumstances, approve the playing of postponed or abandoned matches on the following Saturday.

Thanks Alex. Hopefully if the game is not playable midweek, the club will receive ample notice so that the players and fans do not incur the unnecessary time and expense of making part or all the journey before a decision is made.

If its postponed again, will the fixture be reversed?

Pretty sure the fixture won't be reversed, but it's the FA so who can be sure.

Statement from Linnets - http://www.runcornlinnetsfc.co.uk/news.asp?item=22112015175400

As you all know, the FA Vase Committee have insisted that we play the game at Marske on Tuesday 24 November.

As a club we were disappointed in the decision and would like to apologise to all those fans who wanted to make the journey to a new ground but will now be unable to do so.

Our appeal was based on a number of issues with regard to player health and safety, constraints of work, travelling distance and time on busy motorways, cost implications of postponed games, shortage of time to arrange coach travel and of course the inability of many of our fans to now watch the game.

The NWCFL was prepared to allow us to cancel our league game on the Saturday to allow the game to take place at a weekend and we were grateful for that support.

The relevant section of the rules of the competition is as follows:

"When a first match has been postponed, or is abandoned before the completion of 90 minutes and neither Club being at fault, it shall be played on the same ground: in the Qualifying Competition and First, Second and Third Rounds Proper – on or before the following Thursday. The FA may, in exceptional circumstances, approve the playing of postponed or abandoned matches on the following Saturday".

We hoped we had made out a case for exceptional circumstances but the FA did not agree. We will still look forward very much to our journey to Marske and to making new friends but we express great frustration that the decision has denied many of our fans the opportunity to attend and put unnecessary pressure on players.

So presumably the FA have already rejected our request to play the game Saturday rather than midweek?

Back