• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

MEMORIES OF NORTHWICH

The Talbot Hotel was a beautiful old building on Witton Street right next to another glorious old building - the Central Methodist Chapel. Across the road was another great pub - The George & Dragon. That building is now Superdrug.
On that site now is Poundstretcher.
Just goes to show that modern architecture is not always better!

Perfect description Joe.
Marbury Hall was the prison camp.
One more to answer.

Delamere Army Camp was a Polish Army camp for free Poles fighting the Nazis.

Today the site is the location of the Delamere Park housing complex.

Sorry Frank you're wrong Bert Trautmann was at Marbury and he played in Goal for St.Helens Town

Apologies !, but when he was being interviewed on TV some years ago Marbury was never mentioned, perhaps I misunderstood !!.

Having just looked at several articles re Bert Trautman even his Obits, I can only find reference to the camp at Aston in Makerfield, no other, can someone point my to any that refers to Marbury, purely for my own enlightenment !!.

Well that's sorted what about the Carnival Question.

Alan,
Should have pointed out that as a kid living just possibly half a mile from Marbury I was often taken for a walk buy my "old feller" along Marbury Lane and he often spoke to POWs through the wire, and in fact, was given several wooden airplane models made by them.
My "old feller" was a veteran of the 1st war incidently and discussed the situation amicably with them often trading 5 "Woodbine" ciggies for the models.

Alan,
Should have pointed out that as a kid living just possibly half a mile from Marbury I was often taken for a walk buy my "old feller" along Marbury Lane and he often spoke to POWs through the wire, and in fact, was given several wooden airplane models made by them.
My "old feller" was a veteran of the 1st war incidently and discussed the situation amicably with them often trading 5 "Woodbine" ciggies for the models.
Should read "by".

The answer to the Carnival Question.
It was held where Greenbank Estate is now.
Where was the Sportsman Pub and what was the name of the pub very near it.
Where was there a Tannery in Northwich?'

Bloody thought it was there Toddy. Watched something on YouTube about Northwich past and it had something about the Carnival on it.

I saw a film at the old Work House Nik-s about Northwich a few year's ago and the Carnival was on it,also a well known 1874 supporter made an appearance on it,and the Carnival was heading to Greenbank.
Here is two Question's'
Where was the old Work House?
Who was that 1874 surpporter.?.

Back