• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

MEMORIES OF NORTHWICH

Paul
The video shop was Channel 40 and the music shop was Omega I think, they were something to do with the Dead Dead Good record label if I remember correctly.
Correct Dave. I think the Dead Dead Good record label belonged to the Charlatans from memory.

The "Cock Hotel" was so named when I was a kid and to my recollection was when it closed.
I definitely remember it being called Cock O'Witton at some point Frank. Maybe it was just a brief name change or even a nickname for it.

It changed to the Cock o Witton when its owner became a director of Witton Albion at a guess in the late 70s or early 80s cannot remember his name tho.

Not sure that's the reason for the name change,one owner tried to turn it into a night club sort of place for a while.The name Cock O Witton might have been because it was in the Parish of Witton.I'm sure there's someone out there who know's for sure.

That was the reason because I spoke to him at the time and His name was Roland Hill jWitton Director and Landlord, many a board meeting was held the pub as well ? just remembered it ! and in a previous old name it was called the Game Cock Hotel.

Another Ironmonger's was Harper's does anyone know where that was.Also the owner's of Weston's and Harper's had something in common what was it?.

Back to the fishing shops (never been an angler myself, so this is an extremely vague recollection) ... wasn't there a little angling shop up near the station just down from Baron's newsagents (at their old tiny location before the corner shop) opposite Eric Johnson's? This must be late 60s/early 70s.

The answer to where Harper's was,it was over town bridge near the Sportsman pub.The owner of Harpers was a Witton director(I think),the owners of Westons were Vics director's,there name was Rutter both father and son were director's at one time.
Here are some more Question's.
What pub was along side the old Market Hall.
What was on top of the Old Market Hall.
Where was Lennon's Supermarket,and whats there now.
Where was the Bridge Inn,and what was next to it.
What happened to the original Bridge Inn.
Where is Parr Bank.
There's some for you to be getting on with,see how many of them you can get right.

Lennon Supermarket - did that become Boots & then Yorkshire Bank & finally Madisons? Or Barclays?
Parr Bank - Is that CRS consultants by the bridge?

Alan.

I dont remember that, but I do remember a fishing tackle shop opposite the Penny Black which used to be called Hylands?

I think it is the sports equipment shop today and used to be next door to the Plaza Fish Bar.

Was the Bridge Inn moved?
Or is that the old Citizens Advice building opposite Waitrose?

Yes Edge it was moved 85 yards on wheels,and later rebuilt I think.When it was in it's original position it subsided.
There are still two Question's to answer.

I think I'm officially getting old if I know the answers to Toddys questions

Let's see how old you are Edge,still two Question's to answer on The Market Hall.

There was a small bell tower with a bell in it on top of the Market Hall.
The pub next to the market Hall was the Bleeding Wolf.

Where did Leftwich United play and which league did they play in?.
Where did MANWEB play.
Where did Pheoenix Youth Club play and which league did they play in?.
Where was Pheoenx Youth Club and who ran it?.

Back