• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

MEMORIES OF NORTHWICH

I said Market Hall The Bleeding Wolf was alongside it.Not The Fox that was near it,Wrong again Mr Flavell.

Who remember's these.
Plaza supper bar.
Sandyford's.(not sure if that's the right spelling)
Kershaw's

Where the current Chippie is now, Sandifords now has the block of flats on the site (Lidll).

Kershsws !, older persons home site Church Rd

Who played on the Central Ground on the Saturday morning and on the Drill field in the same Saturday afternoon?.

No one know I thought you knowledgeable Wittoner's would,how about you WHS?.It should be in your book

Have you been up till the early hours working it out GE,you are right.:)

No mate, I'm on the other side of the world, hence the time difference, so, alas, won't be there later on.
GE

Football managers moan about players having to play two game's a week,back in the day a local lad played in three major cup finals in 7 days who was he and who did he play for(he won 2 winners medals) he was also at university at the time.

The answer to the above is in the 1954-55 season Vics had a player Brian Dowd the three cup finals he played in 7 days were.
On 9-4-1955 he played for Vics in the Cheshire Senior Cup fina in a 0-0 draw at Crewe against Stalybridge Celtic.
On 13-4-1955 he played in the replay at Crewe,Vics winning 3-0 a Peter Burns hat trick,the total attendance of the two games was 10,496.
On 16-4-1955 he played in the Cheshire Amateur Cup final on the Central Ground for Vics Reserve's against Mirrlees winning 5-2 with a gate of 4.200.In this game Gerry Duffy scored a hat trick.
He also played in the Northwich FA Senior Cup final on 5-5-1955 on the Central Ground against Runcorn losing 0-2 the gate was 3,049.

Knew Brian well and played against him and Gerry also .
In the current Guardian obituaries a report for a Gerry Duffy. Seems to be the same.

Both superb players of the " noble game,".

n

Where was Pebble Island in Northwich if anyone gets this I'll give them a fiver.

Think Pebble Island was at Marbury? Something to do with finding a large seam of pebbles whilst looking for coal in the late 18th century?

Back