• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Lockdowns

Just because one party has a lack of talent, it defies logic to pick a Labour party with even less

I really don't care what Boris's views on the EU have been over the years - I just want us out (wrong thread anyway)

The real point is you accuse me of hating the Labour party - I don.t. I just despair at what it has become and can't find its way back to being electable with a strong enough base that could make that a possibility
It will never find its way to being electable with the current right wing media in place. Their performance in recent ears has been scandalous. And of course you don’t care about having a PM who will preach what meets his own personal agenda. Just as you don’t care about the corruption. And that is another reason we are unlikely to see a Labour government for many years to come. Flat out lies and corruption but it’s now just accepted. Oh well, at least it’s not Corbyn blah blah blah, oh well at least we’re out of Europe blah blah blah.
Like I said, until Tories start holding their own accountable there will be no change but you don’t want hear it. So long as you’re in denial then Labour will never meet your standards.

Last edited:
Anyway, back to lockdown... and apologies to Ben for taking his thread off track.

Given that the UK terrorism threat has been raised to severe, we may be better off locking down anyway!

The R number has never been high round these South East Cambs parts. Rural surroundings and high (reported) lockdown compliance has helped. It takes ages to wash your hands when you have six fingers on each though! (FT reporting UK R number between 1.1 and 1.3 today.)

You can bet your bottom dollar that our non-resident MP (she lives in Hampstead I believe) will vote for lockdown tomorrow. She's not the rebelling type.

Looks like LSHTM and Warwick are winning the battle of the scientists*.

Screenshot 2020-11-03 at 17.36.46.png

*And enough with the scientist bashing! :)

It will never find its way to being electable with the current right wing media in place. Their performance in recent ears has been scandalous. And of course you don’t care about having a PM who will preach what meets his own personal agenda. Just as you don’t care about the corruption. And that is another reason we are unlikely to see a Labour government for many years to come. Flat out lies and corruption but it’s now just accepted. Oh well, at least it’s not Corbyn blah blah blah, oh well at least we’re out of Europe blah blah blah.
Like I said, until Tories start holding their own accountable there will be no change but you don’t want hear it. So long as you’re in denial then Labour will never meet your standards.
As long as Labour behaves the way it does it will not meet the standards of the majority of the people that would be required to get the party elected. As for the Tories - they are quite ruthless in removing leaders likely to lose elections, You think my bias towards the Tories is unwavering, perhaps you need to look closer to home. Regards the media, well the BBC and Sky have been very forgiving towards Labour in recent times, the overall press a bit less so - but there is still plenty of pro Labour coverage in the Guardian, Mirror, Observer etc to present a reasonable diversification, but ultimately people buy papers with messages they agree with, so therein lies Labour's problem. People don't like the message either in the news or at the ballot box.

Regards the lockdown the press have driven this action. No government wants to be accused of thousands of excess deaths, so we get what we deserve by not following social distancing rules. Ultimately that's all that works!

If you saw the report last night on the BBC news re the situation in Merseyside then you might appreciate how serious this second wave is.

Latest R number and growth rate​

Last updated on Friday 30 October 2020.

Latest R number range for the UK 1.1-1.3

Latest growth rate range for the UK +2% to +4%

This was taken from the .Gov website 15 minutes ago.

As long as Labour behaves the way it does it will not meet the standards of the majority of the people that would be required to get the party elected.
??????
If the current government meets YOUR standards then that says an awful lot about you.

None of it particularly pleasant. ?

Let’s agree to disagree. I don’t like corruption in politics. You’re OK with it. I can live with that. ?

If you saw the report last night on the BBC news re the situation in Merseyside then you might appreciate how serious this second wave is.

Not my point.

No arguing the NW is a hotspot and requires some sort of restrictions.

However, other areas of the nation are fine, shouldn’t be plunged in to a lockdown. One day in the future things could be fine in the NW and another part of the nation could be a hotspot.

Would we really want to be plunged in to a job killing lockdown in that case? No

Also, cases are on the way down in Merseyside, have been for a while, so presumably the hospital admissions will follow a decline soon.

Last edited:
I just wonder if there’s something in people taking things more seriously when it’s a national lockdown. Forgetting the economic impact for a moment.

Was there panic buying during the early stages of the recent NW lockdowns as we’ve seen nationwide these last few days?

I’ve had my fun. Time to find a new troll ground to play in.

Knutsfordian is too boring; just like Witton’s football ?

Play nice and don’t forget to follow the science. You know it makes sense!

??????
If the current government meets YOUR standards then that says an awful lot about you.

None of it particularly pleasant. ?

Let’s agree to disagree. I don’t like corruption in politics. You’re OK with it. I can live with that. ?

Sorry Nicki I cannot let that statement go unchallenged. I have said before, I don't believe politicians from ANY of the parties are by their nature corrupt and nor do I accept that systematic corruption is an acceptable status of our government or opposition. If corruption is evident it should be rooted out and the miscreants removed from office. So whilst I might agree or disagree with policies from any party I think all politicians should receive some credit for putting themselves up for election in this climate of hate and abuse. Clearly a huge number of people don't share your negative view of our elected representatives, otherwise the democratic system would be dead in the water.

Knutsfordian, as a forum moderator, I have taken the unusual step of banning myself for admission of trolling.

Before I start my self-enforced absence I will leave you with this one thought:

You can take a three-legged donkey to water but you can't make him drink.

Knutsfordian, as a forum moderator, I have taken the unusual step of banning myself for admission of trolling.

Before I start my self-enforced absence I will leave you with this one thought:

You can take a three-legged donkey to water but you can't make him drink.
Or her

On the subject of corruption:-

On the subject of corruption:-

The good law project says it seeks to hold the government "to account" but is really another pressure group looking to highlight any irregularities in government business to their own political advantage. However If the government is so corrupt and guilty of maladministration, then why aren't the house select committees hanging the government out to dry and the opposition pressing for more disclosure. I repeat any corruption must be investigated and eradicated, but I suspect the GLP isn't motivated by goodness and whole hearted support for good government, but more its own political interests - and therein lies the rub

Last edited:
Would it help if the Daily Mail talked about Pestfix ?

Nothing wrong with a 16 people Pest Control company with assets of less than £20k winning a £108 million contract for supplying PPE is there?

Would it help if the Daily Mail talked about Pestfix ?

Nothing wrong with a 16 people Pest Control company with assets of less than £20k winning a £108 million contract for supplying PPE is there?
What makes me laugh about this is the “Wallace & Gromit” like name! I’m sure that the fabulous Nick Park created duo actually ran a business called Pest-o-Fix!

Back