• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Lockdowns

I think it’s the ONS whose data shows that the level of coronavirus infections appears to be slowing down. They’ve said the infection rate isn’t rising as fast as it was and appears to be stabilising, with a drop reported in the north east.

So some positive signs there and evidence that the tier system was starting to work.

I actually think that the evidence of tier 3 working in Liverpool was already coming through before lockdown-lite was introduced last week, but the govt had got itself into a corner and with levels rising elsewhere it was forced to act rather than wait for the published figures to get any worse. You have to remember that a positive case today is only reflected in hopsital admission figures 2 weeks later and then in death figures a few weeks after that. Current daily mortality figures relate to infection figures from about a month ago.

PH Dorset is reporting current 7 day doubling (as of yesterday's local figures), no sign of a slowdown down here - albeit from a very low base.

I agree with AM's comments about people not wanting to isolate or to be tracked and traced. I think its part of a fundamental problem with the system as it assumes 100% compliance from people. I know some people who have their own QR codes and immediately they are tracked somewhere they tap into their own QR codes so that they are never assumed to be in anywhere long enough to get infected.

On a separate note, it looks like people are finding ways round the lockdown as pictures in this morning's press show, with huge numbers of people still congregating and just collecting takeaway drinks and food. For me, there's not enough messaging about reducing social contact as a means to reduce infections on an ongoing basis. The moment lockdown is lifted people will go back to their old habits immediately and we will be back to square 1

Positive news on a new vaccine and mass testing in 67 local areas.

All big steps in helping us get back to some form of normality. At least the government do seem to be using this lockdown better to give us stronger defences when we do come out.

If the government can ensure that the vaccine distribution runs smoothly, and perhaps with the help of a second vaccine coming through, the end of this pandemic may be in sight. It might lift the mood of the nation into the end of the year and into next spring

If the government can ensure that the vaccine distribution runs smoothly, and perhaps with the help of a second vaccine coming through, the end of this pandemic may be in sight. It might lift the mood of the nation into the end of the year and into next spring
Let’s hope so.

I think it’s the ONS whose data shows that the level of coronavirus infections appears to be slowing down. They’ve said the infection rate isn’t rising as fast as it was and appears to be stabilising, with a drop reported in the north east.

So some positive signs there and evidence that the tier system was starting to work.
A record 33,470 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK government's latest daily figure.

I still don't think people really are following social distancing rules. Walking round Tatton recently there were four people walking side by side with their take out coffees - and it was pretty obvious they weren't a single household. The messaging around social distancing and staying home if you need to isn't confusing - its just people don't want to do it !!

A record 33,470 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK government's latest daily figure.
Worrying but I don’t think we should read too much into one days figures. Let’s see how things pan out over the next few days.

All very surprising considering the R rate was widely reported to be below 1 yesterday. A massive jump and maybe other factors such as a reporting lag and mass testing are in play. I was reading that a lot of these cases happened in the days leading up to lockdown.

Over 500 death's is not due to mass testing,and hospital's full is not due to testing more like inefficiency of an inept government.

Last edited:
I saw some stats today that looked at deaths per 1m population and we were not in the top 10. There is so much nonsense being made out of stats to make political points, but when all said and done we will have reasons why so many people have died in this country - but at the sharp end its public servants that really make the difference and I believe we make mistakes but we end up on the right side eventually

More than 500 deaths is clearly way too high.

It’s hard to know what to believe though, the ONS are again saying today that infections have been falling. Today’s figures have also come out showing 376 deaths and 27k cases, considerably down from yesterday.

Think a lot of people are rightly questioning these figures and just goes to show that we shouldn’t be jumping to many conclusions from one day!

Yesterdays ‘record breaking’ cases should be put into context of the fact there are a lot more tests being done than there were at the start of the crisis.

Last edited:
Not falling down here. Today's latest local PH update:

1605292376231.png

The bottom line us, lockdown or not, there needs to be more messaging about not letting up on reducing social interaction whatever the stats show at that time

That's correct. The fact is the messaging has been muddled, confusing, contradictory and too often disputed from the start. The only clear and effective message was the initial Stay Home - Protect the NHS - Save Lives. But that began to crumble when stories emerged of govt representatives 'bending the rules' (to put it kindly) and fell apart completely with the whole Cummings episode - not just what he did (and whether you prefer to somehow contrive to twist the rules at the time to 'prove' that he wasn't breaking them, it is the perception which counts), but also that Johnson and every Tory MP then came out to defend him (using identical statements clearly fed to them by the party machine) rather than sacking him in order to preserve the integrity of the message being hammered home with the public. Things have gone rapidly downhill since then.

The bottom line us, lockdown or not, there needs to be more messaging about not letting up on reducing social interaction whatever the stats show at that time
I agree, for once :)

I do think, however, that you (in previous posts) underestimate the impact of Barnard Castle and the government’s (let’s face it Johnson’s) handling of it.

That was a massive turning point when the nation’s compliance was lost. We’ve been fighting a losing battle with social distancing since then.

Johnson and Cummings are culpable.

EDIT... or what Alan said. I read that after posting this :oops:

Last edited:
Whether or not you think Cummings should (or should not) have gone to Durham, the bottom line is that social distancing and reducing social contact is key to solving this modern day plague. It matters not whether you drive 200 miles in your own car, with your own family. So yes I agree with you its was definitely in the "not clever" category of idiocy, but largely not likely to spread the virus. What spreads the virus is going down the pub with your mates, or sharing takeout in the park. Using Cummings as an excuse was always good for selling news time, but otherwise just chaff.

Ps - be careful agreeing with me, your likely to have regrets in the morning when the effect of the night before has worn off :)

Back