• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Cummings, Johnson and this whole shit show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cases in the US are starting to rise again - 59% up in the last 2 weeks - https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/covid-cases.html
Due mainly to the delta variant taking a hold. Interestingly the death numbers are dropping but hospital admissions are going up.

For me we should keep masks a bit longer, jab the teenagers & only then then start to totally unlock.
I'd like to know more about the risks of long covid in both the young & old as well.
I think that a case could be made by the scientists for keeping us in lockdown in perpetuity based on the impact of covid on the vulnerable, long covid symptoms, impact on the NHS etc. I get the feeling though that many people are getting to the end of their collective tether and are no longer following the rules anyway and have also started deleting the NHS app so that they can't be traced and quarantined.

So I think the course of action to lift restrictions and make people personally responsible is probably a sensible course of action before the whole prohibition routine disintegrates anyway.

People are more or less doing as the wish now, all that would be achieved by extending the restrictions on the 19th would be punishing businesses that are currently just struggling to stay afloat at the current arrangements.

Reactions: Ben
So the question is then James - when would you wind back these measures? It's down to personal responsibility. If you don't like crowds or risk then stay at home and keep yourself safe. At what point are the freedoms of the majority over ruled by the concerns of the nervous ninnies?
Ah, so people who may be at a higher risk than others if they catch Covid are ‘nervous ninnies’ are they? Jeesh Knutsfordian, you really are all heart.

But in answer to your question, yes the restrictions need to be GRADUALLY relaxed. Abandoning them all in one fell swoop is utterly reckless, particularly when cases are still rising so quickly.

I cannot understand for one moment why they could not have insisted that face coverings should continue to be worn on public transport until a greater proportion of the population has been double or single jabbed and cases were flat-lining. This would have kept the majority of us safe without further impacting the economy.

But Johnson knows best - that’s why the Johnson variant has ripped through the country so quickly.

Ah, so people who may be at a higher risk than others if they catch Covid are ‘nervous ninnies’ are they? Jeesh Knutsfordian, you really are all heart.

But in answer to your question, yes the restrictions need to be GRADUALLY relaxed. Abandoning them all in one fell swoop is utterly reckless, particularly when cases are still rising so quickly.

I cannot understand for one moment why they could not have insisted that face coverings should continue to be worn on public transport until a greater proportion of the population has been double or single jabbed and cases were flat-lining. This would have kept the majority of us safe without further impacting the economy.

But Johnson knows best - that’s why the Johnson variant has ripped through the country so quickly.
Oh, and BTW, over the past week or more this ‘nervous ninny’ has been to the pub several times, eaten at a cafe, been to a game, watched the footy with others……

In knutsfordian defence, that’s just isn’t what he said.

But the time has come to allow people to make their own decisions.

You maybe happy with current arrangements, but the owner of the pub you visited might not be? For most pub owners everyday is a struggle under these arrangements. The euros may have been a saving grace, but they’re over now.

It’s not selfish for these people to want to operate at full capacity. It’s their livelihoods, the livelihoods of their staff, the general community that for many restaurants, cafes and bars are the focal point of the community.

Do not call them selfish.

Many football clubs at our level get a good chunk of income from bar takings and such. Under the current regulations that’s effected. It’s not selfish for them to want restrictions lifted before the start of the season. Their club could depend on it.

Last edited:
Oh, and BTW, over the past week or more this ‘nervous ninny’ has been to the pub several times, eaten at a cafe, been to a game, watched the footy with others……
But in doing those those things you used your judgement about how safe you were and whether you could cope with the numbers of people present.

You will still need to make those judgements and if business owners have any sense they will maintain good practices such as making hand sanitisers available.

However, my view is that it is better we go down the route of people making individual decisions about their own safety and withdrawing themselves if they feel their standards are compromised, rather than trying to impose disciplines and rules that people are obviously ignoring anyway and that are causing divisions and adversities where there need be none. I think since the outset of this pandemic people have been let off the hook of personal responsibility by the government mandating rules and laws to impose restrictions. I am surprised by how many people want to continue to be mandated to behave as perhaps they should anyway. There is also the question of "if not now then when"? Far better to do remove these restrictions in the summer months with schools closed.

In knutsfordian defence, that’s just isn’t what he said.

But the time has come to allow people to make their own decisions.

You maybe happy with current arrangements, but the owner of the pub you visited might not be? For most pub owners everyday is a struggle under these arrangements. The euros may have been a saving grace, but they’re over now.

It’s not selfish for these people to want to operate at full capacity. It’s their livelihoods, the livelihoods of their staff, the general community that for many restaurants, cafes and bars are the focal point of the community.

Do not call them selfish.

Many football clubs at our level get a good chunk of income from bar takings and such. Under the current regulations that’s effected. It’s not selfish for them to want restrictions lifted before the start of the season. Their club could depend on it.
Erm, where did I call them selfish? Your words, not mine.

The point I was made was specifically in relation to public transport where there has to be a consistent approach. Likewise, hospitals, council buildings etc. Going from some level of restrictions to none in these areas is frankly reckless.

Owners and operators of pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants will be free to run their establishments as they see fit, but I reckon that many will still chose to keep much of the current operating arrangements in place for several more weeks yet, if not months.

Finally I recall around this time last year some siren voices were arguing that the restrictions that were in place at that time should be lifted.

Johnson acceded to this pressure and the result was ‘Eat out to help the virus’. Result? An huge increase in cases.

He again reduced restrictions on the run up to Christmas with predictable results. Thousands of more cases and deaths plus the almost complete cessation of elective surgery.

So you’ll have to excuse me if I have a little scepticism regarding those who put their individual freedoms ahead of the safety and health of the majority .

People are more or less doing as the wish now, all that would be achieved by extending the restrictions on the 19th would be punishing businesses that are currently just struggling to stay afloat at the current arrangements.
And who has encouraged these people to do so? Firstly Cummings and now Halfcock! The ‘do as I say not as I do society’.

Erm, where did I call them selfish? Your words, not mine.

The point I was made was specifically in relation to public transport where there has to be a consistent approach. Likewise, hospitals, council buildings etc. Going from some level of restrictions to none in these areas is frankly reckless.

Owners and operators of pubs, bars, cafes and restaurants will be free to run their establishments as they see fit, but I reckon that many will still chose to keep much of the current operating arrangements in place for several more weeks yet, if not months.

Finally I recall around this time last year some siren voices were arguing that the restrictions that were in place at that time should be lifted.

Johnson acceded to this pressure and the result was ‘Eat out to help the virus’. Result? An huge increase in cases.

He again reduced restrictions on the run up to Christmas with predictable results. Thousands of more cases and deaths plus the almost complete cessation of elective surgery.

So you’ll have to excuse me if I have a little scepticism regarding those who put their individual freedoms ahead of the safety and health of the majority .

The greatest risk to increased virus variants and cases is overseas travel. The huge spike in the autumn was not caused by eat out to help out, but overseas holidays ! It does not matter whether the country you are visiting is "safe", or whatever rainbow colour it is deemed, infected people passing through airports have the potential to infect thousands of others. With children not being vaccinated, family holidays should be off the agenda for this year at least. No doubt the clamour by families and holiday companies will see this being passed over (again).

The greatest risk to increased virus variants and cases is overseas travel. The huge spike in the autumn was not caused by eat out to help out, but overseas holidays ! It does not matter whether the country you are visiting is "safe", or whatever rainbow colour it is deemed, infected people passing through airports have the potential to infect thousands of others. With children not being vaccinated, family holidays should be off the agenda for this year at least. No doubt the clamour by families and holiday companies will see this being passed over (again).
Overseas holidays? In 2020? I’d be really interested knutsfordian to find out how people got there given the massive slump in air passengers that occurred last year. You of all people must have noticed that Cranford has become an oasis of calm over the past 15 months or more.

But I will agree with you on one point. Not increasing border restrictions and movements between the U.K. and countries that were experiencing sky-rocketing number of cases - say India for example - was not a wise move and resulted in the very rapid spread of the Delta variant.

I wonder which reckless buffoon would ever sanction such a utterly misguided policy? ?

Overseas holidays? In 2020? I’d be really interested knutsfordian to find out how people got there given the massive slump in air passengers that occurred last year. You of all people must have noticed that Cranford has become an oasis of calm over the past 15 months or more.

But I will agree with you on one point. Not increasing border restrictions and movements between the U.K. and countries that were experiencing sky-rocketing number of cases - say India for example - was not a wise move and resulted in the very rapid spread of the Delta variant.

I wonder which reckless buffoon would ever sanction such a utterly misguided policy? ?
:Last summer holidays were back in full swing ! Even now the number of flights is increasing daily - no calm here. Terminal 2 re opens today

The big question is why people were allowed to go abroad in the first place - not why they were allowed back. Peeps just said they were travelling for work and that was allowed

:Last summer holidays were back in full swing ! Even now the number of flights is increasing daily - no calm here. Terminal 2 re opens today
Erm, I don’t think that you will
The big question is why people were allowed to go abroad in the first place - not why they were allowed back. Peeps just said they were travelling for work and that was allowed

Ive not got the figures for August 20 (strangely they’ve not been posted on the MA website) but I have got the comparisons for Sep 19 and 20 (September traffic was almost always as higher if not higher than August as the return of the business travellers partly offset the reduction in holiday traffic but this latter sector remained buoyant during the month as the gray brigade (of which I now include myself) tend to go away then as the resorts are quieter and prices cheaper).

Anyway, returning to the matter in hand, pax figures for Sept 19 were 2.74M, those for Sept 20 600k. And MAN’s traffic figures were pretty good compared to many other airports.

So I’d hardly say that they were ‘in full swing’!

The wearing of masks will no longer be compulsory, “as we wish to give people more freedom”.

But what used to be legitimate protest will now be punishable by 10 years in prison.

This Government on the same day……???
Monday - Johnson and his acolytes decide that it’s a great idea to ditch all formal restrictions, even though they know that hospitalisations and deaths will increase leading To further delays to elective treatment.
Tuesday - Thinking that they are on a roll, Johnson and his chums see fit cut go back on a election manifesto and reduce the amount of aid we are giving to the most vulnerable in the world, at a time that the pandemic is increasingly existing inequalities.

I wonder what the rest of the week will bring?

Denying underprivileged kids a decent meal during the school holidays?

Ending the £20 a week universal credit top up?

Oh sorry, they’ve already done those haven’t they???

#heartlesstorybastards
#levellingupmyarse

So what’s causing the spike now?

Great time to be getting rid of the restrictions. Top leadership

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Monday - Johnson and his acolytes decide that it’s a great idea to ditch all formal restrictions, even though they know that hospitalisations and deaths will increase leading To further delays to elective treatment.
Tuesday - Thinking that they are on a roll, Johnson and his chums see fit cut go back on a election manifesto and reduce the amount of aid we are giving to the most vulnerable in the world, at a time that the pandemic is increasingly existing inequalities.

I wonder what the rest of the week will bring?

Denying underprivileged kids a decent meal during the school holidays?

Ending the £20 a week universal credit top up?

Oh sorry, they’ve already done those haven’t they???

#heartlesstorybastards
#levellingupmyarse

So what’s causing the spike now?

Great time to be getting rid of the restrictions. Top leadership

Deaths and hospitalisations are going to be at the sharp end of the decision making here. If mass vaccinations don't provide the level of cover expected, then we are in for a real long, hard slog. I am still of the mind that if you are going to roll back restrictions then warm sunny days with schools out on holiday is the time to do it - if not, then I suspect we never will

Deaths and hospitalisations are going to be at the sharp end of the decision making here. If mass vaccinations don't provide the level of cover expected, then we are in for a real long, hard slog. I am still of the mind that if you are going to roll back restrictions then warm sunny days with schools out on holiday is the time to do it - if not, then I suspect we never will
You know what Knutsfordian, I tend to agree with you. But A complete bonfire of restrictions when daily cases are averaging 30k per day, a level not seen since the end of June?

You know what Knutsfordian, I tend to agree with you. But A complete bonfire of restrictions when daily cases are averaging 30k per day, a level not seen since the end of June?
Scotland and the London mayor have shown that there is a middle way that increases individual freedoms, allows businesses to operate to their designed capacities but gives a level of protection to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back