• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

1874 News An announcement from the Board of 1874 Northwich F.C.

A very positive move in my opinion, even if it's 5 miles further away from me.

Winsford served us well, and they deserve our thanks for putting up with us for our first few years, but it had the drawback of being "outside Northwich", with all the negativity which that brought upon us (both externally and occasionally internally). I also found Winsford a bit soulless as a ground due to the wide expanses behind the goals.
Barnton will give us a fresh chance to kick-start things as well, both on and off the field.

I share the concerns about the parking, and seem to recall the local residents were not too enamoured of the boorish behaviour of Barnton's previous tenants, but I am sure we will collectively do our utmost to endear ourselves to the locals and show them that a decent-sized NL crowd can also be decent in other ways too.

Progress is all about making small steps in the right direction. This is one small step.
Really excited about this news and I'm sure the club and the fans will do their utmost to repay Barnton for their kindness in agreeing this ground share.

On the subject of parking perhaps an agreement could be reached with the Barnton Primary School, possibly charging a small parking fee to be donated to the school or a charity of their choice?

okay I am pleased with the move to Barnton, but is it a step closer to having our own ground in or very near to Northwich? I for one would like to know more about the nature if not the terms of the deal with Barnton. What is the point in developing and working on the ground if we are just tenants. Is it really a place that we can set down roots for the long term? Could shared ownership or equal rights on the ground be on the cards with Barton at some time in the future or is it just a short to medium solution to moving away from winsford until we have found our own place in Northwich one day?

Last edited:
Could shared ownership or equal rights on the ground be on the cards with Barnton at some time in the future

Barnton FC don't own Townfield, it's owned by Barnton Parish Council.

or is it just a short to medium solution to moving away from winsford until we have found our own place in Northwich one day?

According to the statement.....
20180918_062429.jpg

Last edited:
According to the statement.....
View attachment 1837
Does that statement actually mean that Barnton could end up being a permenant home for 1874? What about the containers / club shop that I got for the club at Winsford. ? I hope they are not going to be left there and that arrangements will be made to get them moved to Barnton

Does that statement actually mean that Barnton could end up being a permenant home for 1874? What about the containers / club shop that I got for the club at Winsford. ? I hope they are not going to be left there and that arrangements will be made to get them moved to Barnton
Don't worry Gaz, all in hand.....

It has/is a busy time, let us just draw breath a bit and then we will aim to put more 'meat on the bones' about 'all this malarkey' :):scarf:

Ahhhhh! and relax.

I would like to suggest that the "Stadium Gang" and fundraising activities are going to turn their attention to supporting Barnton and their facilities and just keep Winsford on a care and maintenance basis?

Last edited:
As one who really knows what you have done for Winsford I am very sorry to see you go. I obviously wish you all the best and hope the move works out for you. Remember if any of the Stadium gang wish to continue their good work at the SLBS you will be more than welcome !!!
Dave you have always been positive to us and it has been appreciated I am sure.
Don't worry I'm sure you will still see quite a bit of us!

The move has 100% support from me, Parking !, perhaps a discussion with the Parish Council suggesting a small fee could be beneficial !. Two-year deal! with further "planning" for the future which must remain "confidential" at this stage a possibility?.

I was there last week and the Village Hall parking area was open to football fans for a £2.00 charge.

On a very personal level as one who can only attend from time to time, I would value clarity on parking by the time it happens. When you have driven over 200 miles it is a pain to wander around looking for somewhere to park and maybe upset the locals. But i would cheerfully pay both the club and/or the school and/or the council for a clear space, and be happy to walk a while to get to the ground.
Otherwise it seems a good move. I had no idea Barnton's ground had a higher rating than the BS.
There is an air of positivity on here for the first time for a while which i hope will transfer to the team

Ironically, we have Vics to thank for that.
Not strictly true that Mark.
A lot of the work done that you see today was in progress before Vics arrived. It was then completed by both Vics and Barnton volunteers.
Percentage wise I would say Barnton completed 70% of the work and contributed more than 50% of the cost to get the ground up to Evostick level.

Well what can you say about this move. When I got my email yesterday, I stared at the screen for a while, thinking dam, that's more awkward to get to and the parking is not so good. Then I realised that my initial view on it was purely selfish on my part. I still have concerns about the parking as I have difficulty walking far although Guess it will sort itself out.

Then reality kicked in, this has got to be a good move for the club with less games abandoned, also better for the players, better football and also closer proximity for the crowd. I'm now convinced that this is indeed the right move and also most importantly it's the right time with the other greens playing at Witton. It closes the back door for them when the money runs out, had to have a little chuckle about that one, where will they go then, Winsford?

Come next season we will be playing our home games in Northwich. We will then be the only true fans owned team playing it's football in Northwich.

YES! that will do for me.

Well the news of our move to Townfield has excited both 1874 Northwich FC fans and Barnton FC fans but not JustGiving FC fans, who are now slagging off Simmo on Twitter for promoting the ground share agreement and complaining that they don't get enough coverage, it absolutely beggars belief.

Last edited:
Well the news of our move to Townfield has excited both 1874 Northwich FC fans and Barnton FC fans but not JustGiving FC fans, who are now slagging off Simmo on Twitter for promoting the ground share agreement, it absolutely beggars belief.
Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t Alistair Hunt the new (ish) Vics treasurer? If so, not just a fan but a committee member.

Why should Simmo promote JGFC?

I suspect that accusing the only local sports reporter of bias and favouritism is probably not wise but then perhaps they don't want too much press interest in "their" club.

Why should Simmo promote JGFC?

I suspect that accusing the only local sports reporter of bias and favouritism is probably not wise but then perhaps they don't want too much press interest in "their" club.
It's not just accusing Andy of bias it's actually defaming his good name, the individual and the club could be sued.

this is a really good move and will allow us the chance to grow as a club, we can't just expect though that more people will just come straight away to watch us because we are back in Northwich, we are really going to need to step up our promotion of the club to local people

Back