• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

2017/18 Season Shirt

I'm sure before I say this I'm going to get the usual "if you want to have a vote counted become a member" comments but hey......!
A shirt could be bought potentially by lots of people who aren't members should we not be asking a general opinion on merchandise?
After all, we all vote for player of the month/season without being a member.
I'm all for the important issues being member limited but could this not be more open to opinion?
Btw, before we get the become a member comment I have just downloaded a form, but I still think it should be open more generally.

I think the answers will be as before Blackie. There do have to be some benefits to being a member, otherwise nobody would bother. Pretty sure we're not too different from other fan-owned clubs in this respect.

It's a good way of ensuring people don't have multiple votes too. Imagine if some enthusiastic person voted 100 times for number 6! Eeek!

If it could be properly managed I don't see why the vote couldn't be wider - though some member benefits must remain - but it won't happen this time.

It's a good way of ensuring people don't have multiple votes too. Imagine if some enthusiastic person voted 100 times for number 6! Eeek!.
If you find ONE person who voted for 6 let me know.......then take the drugs off them!!

I'm sure before I say this I'm going to get the usual "if you want to have a vote counted become a member" comments but hey......!
A shirt could be bought potentially by lots of people who aren't members should we not be asking a general opinion on merchandise?
After all, we all vote for player of the month/season without being a member.
I'm all for the important issues being member limited but could this not be more open to opinion?
Btw, before we get the become a member comment I have just downloaded a form, but I still think it should be open more generally.

Interesting that Blackie, as I think the Club (decision making board) make it too political at times for the Club's own good.

The shirts displayed for choice are all pretty awful and the fact we could end up with a training top(no.4) as a first-team kit leaves me so disappointed considering I've been really vocal on how this Club needs to massively improve it's image. Especially when a team turns up like Colls on that day and they're very much the benchmark at this level, and I view them as the Swiss team from Cool Runnings!

Not a fan of airing dirty laundry on here but one fella who's offered loads over this season (mostly gone under the radar (but did a flippin' awesome presentation last Summer)) put a proposal to the board with some really smart looking gear inc next season kits, so I am disappointed for him that it came as a shock to me and him about the kit selection. Hope there is no disillusionment as he could really drive this Club forward IMO. Not going to be a popular post this or win favours but this Club needs a freshness on matters like this.

That's the thing about being fan owned, not everybody is going to agree on everything and unfortunately that's just the way it is, people are entitled to not like the designs and that's fine but there is 6 designs that have been put forward and one needs to be chosen

We also need to take into consideration the supplier that we use and whether they can provide people's preferred design

Last edited:
I'm going to come off the fence here (I was refraining as I also didn't wish to wash our laundry in public) but I too think the 6 options shown are blooming awful. I won't actually be voting for any of them!!

Such big steps were taken this season with the new badge and social media content and these shirt designs are a big step backwards. So professional on one hand and so terribly tin-pot on the other.

I know running the club takes lots of time, and we're gratefull for all that people do, but selecting a decent strip shouldn't take any more time than selecting a bad one!!!

Not going to win any friends, but hey-ho' sometimes things just have to be said!

I can see why these kits have been put forward to the vote. Each are very different, and covers a range of styles for the supporters to vote on. Remember, our kit supplier will also contribute their ideas, and these are the kits that have been come up with. Yes, some of these are not great, but it's pretty clear that they won't be chosen anyway!

Imagine for a second, that there are 6 kits shown, all that are worthy candidates for the new strip. Imagine that there was an even-ish split for each kit, meaning the winning shirt choice may only get over 20% of the vote. That means 80% of the fans wouldn't have chosen the strip we are wearing next year. I may be wrong, and I'm also not saying there is any harm in this, but I think the board have preference to a couple of the shirts, and by placing some horrors in there, are giving the fans a variety of choices, but ensuring that a particular style is chosen for the next year. This can be seen as clever; let's remember that we chose the colours for the kits as members, but previously haven't been given a vote on style, so this is an improvement by the club and should be applauded. This has been done at several clubs if you look wider across non-league, such as Wrexham, Chester and Macclesfield Town to name a few. Last thing that the club needs is splitting the fanbase into 5 or 6 different sections over the new kit for next year!

Some posts on here seem to be wanting fans to each get their chance to design a kit-that's never going to work. Runcorn Linnets don't get to choose their kit, they are fan owned, so at least we are given the choice.

We've been given 6 choices, in my opinion 1 and 3 are good enough, although I like the idea of black sleeves on number 1. We have rebranded with the new badge, the twitter, our main colours are still green, white and black, so this isn't affected. The team will hopefully perform better next season, drawing crowds in, so the last thing we need is posts complaining about being given a choice.

It's not about being given a choice - it's about someone making the right choice.

I don't particularly feel the need to be able to vote on a new shirt, I just want someone to choose one that represents the club well. I personally don't think any of the 6 options do.

But if you make one choice, not everybody is going to like it, and then will complain about not having a vote like other clubs do. Can't win :banghead

Are the options really that terrible? Some are yes, but all of them? Is number 1 really that bad? I personally think it's better than what we have now.

In my opinion - that's all I can give - yes they're all really terrible.

But I know my opinion doesn't count for much, there'll be a vote and we'll play the next couple of seasons in the kit with the most number of votes. I'll still support '74, still be glued to Twitter every Saturday but it's just so chuffing frustrating that we're never quite the club we could be - all for no great reason.

That's fair enough for this to be your opinion, and you've said it right there, you'll still continue to support 1874! You're not leaving on what kit is chosen, I just think the criticism is a tad unfair as the board are giving choice, and doing the right thing :) kits are all a matter of opinion, and everyone will have their own personal preference, but the colours are all there to see and that will still help with branding. I think we can be a great club, but to get there, other things also need to be considered a priority.

Having fixture leaflets created, printing them out and handing them out in town for one...

I think ex drummers example above is pretty damn good and would look fresh and appealing to a lot of people.

I think ex drummers example above is pretty damn good and would look fresh and appealing to a lot of people.

I agree with Callum that any of us coming up with designs isn't the way forward. We can't just pick and choose any kit. We have a supplier and so we have to be bound by what that supplier can offer... but then if that supplier can't provide any good options, maybe we do have to look elsewhere for a new one.

Good evening fellow 1874 followers, I am the owner of SKkits, and generated have a few options for your great club to chose from. These are not "set in stone", and with the club's approval, can be amended to suit in terms of design and colour, in fact with the nature of "sublimation", which I now use, any design can be achieved within reason. I am continually in contact with Board Members to make sure the finished item suits the club support in general. Hope that clears a few things up.

Back