• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Witton 3-0 & relegation confirmed

You’ve been relegated, you’ll never own your own ground, you haven’t scored a home goal since literally last year and your gates appear to be dwindling. Wouldn’t spend too much time pondering the pint pot deposit…
Thanks very much for kind words and astute observations. 😘

You’ve been relegated, you’ll never own your own ground, you haven’t scored a home goal since literally last year and your gates appear to be dwindling. Wouldn’t spend too much time pondering the pint pot deposit…
Attendances dwindling is easily debunked.

There's a chance we could end up with our highest average attendance of the NWP years this season.

First things first, relegation is usually deserved as you have found out (and before anyone shouts foul yes we deserved ours too). Its the culmination of years of bad planning, bad luck, bad finances and hand to mouth existence that manifests itself in one campaign. And unfortunately to reverse that position, the opposite is true. Unless your really lucky, or have bags of cash, its a long way back. So a long summer will bring reality and no doubt a lot of deep thinking. I am still not sure that community mutual owned teams can cut the mustard, but that's your Easter cross to carry. Best regards to the management team especially Vicky England who has been an absolute gem for you guys - your lucky to have her.

Then comes the hard part. 1874 vs Northwich Vics in a league 5 divisions (?) below where Vics were in their heyday. This is covered elsewhere endlessly, but now oblivion beckons for both teams - and I say that not from malice, but just the realistic prospect of raising enough money within your group to pay a team, pay expenses and mount a challenge. I've been a vitriolic critic of NVFC over the years, but since the groundshare I have to say I have softened !! it really is time to have that chat as Driftwood notes.
Thanks Knutsfordian, it’s been a while, but you appear to be banging the same old drum👀

Not really. You exist at the whims of your Chairman and shareholders. We all know how that has historically worked out for you😉
All that said, best of luck with the play-offs.
A little unfair. The feel good factor is excellent at the moment and has been for a while.
We've got a good number of youngsters coming to games and the social club is thriving so no I don't agree with you.
However I find the post from v***s totally unnecessary and hope we beat them out of sight next week.

Said we were heading this way without change about 2 years ago and have watched it unfold since. We need an astute, external appointment who can come in and strip the dead wood and recruit well in the Summer. Someone who is going to come in with some kind of tactical acumen and not just bed 10 men in zonally behind the ball and invite pressure for 90 minutes. I’ve watched so many teams come to us over the years who aren’t technically great but have young, fit lads who work their bollocks off and press high and get results because of it and we have exhibited the exact opposite. Hopefully we can have some kind of identity next season and bounce back at the first attempt.

I’m sorry but merger talks are a bloody joke! I’d quit football first!

Secondly, the board must carry some of the fault for this. To have not had a manager for near 8 weeks now….im afraid indecision is worse than any decision! We must appoint a manager and fast, give them the next few weeks to assess who stays and goes then start quick in building for next season now we know where we are.

It was men against boys today and that can’t be allowed to happen again.

Last rant - Two quid for a plastic cup!!!

I’m sorry but merger talks are a bloody joke! I’d quit football first!

Secondly, the board must carry some of the fault for this. To have not had a manager for near 8 weeks now….im afraid indecision is worse than any decision! We must appoint a manager and fast, give them the next few weeks to assess who stays and goes then start quick in building for next season now we know where we are.

It was men against boys today and that can’t be allowed to happen again.

Last rant - Two quid for a plastic cup!!!
It's a deposit not a charge. Fully refundable at the bar.

In all seriousness, momentum/the feel good factor tends to go in cycles. We’re in a pretty good place at the moment, particularly in terms of gates and capturing new fans, but we need to channel that into a more serious push for promotion next season or things may fizzle out - as they have done before.

I’m sure you’ll find some stability over the next couple of seasons, even though the picture looks pretty bleak at the moment. Good luck in the Midlands league, we’ll miss the six easy points! 😘

I just wanted to say it’s really quite heartening reading all the well-wishes on social media from various clubs, fans and ex players following our relegation.

There are some lovely comments and it really does just go to show the high regard our club has in the non league community and that is testament to all those who have been involved in making us what we are today.

Not really. You exist at the whims of your Chairman and shareholders. We all know how that has historically worked out for you😉
All that said, best of luck with the play-offs.
TBF Tez in Graeme Wood Albion seem to have a very level headed, responsible and realistic chairman who is under no illusions about running a semi-pro club at Step 4 and what it is likely to take for them to prosper at Step 3 should they win the playoffs. His article in “Our Town” magazine and todays match programme have, I think, spelled it out to Wittoners that they’ll need to work bloody hard to generate significant extra income if they are to go futher up the pyramid. Indeed, he said in his notes that they’d need gates of 1000 (double their current average) to survive in the Premier.

Even when they won the NPL in 1991 they rarely broke this figure, ditto for most of their 3 seasons in the Conference

A little unfair. The feel good factor is excellent at the moment and has been for a while.
We've got a good number of youngsters coming to games and the social club is thriving so no I don't agree with you.
However I find the post from v***s totally unnecessary and hope we beat them out of sight next week.
You’ll always be a small non league club though in a world that is evolving fast. Simple truth is that 3 clubs in a town the size of Northwich will not work. Look at Alty, Macc —-4,000 + gates this Easter. Chester, 3000. Warrington over 4 times bigger than Northwich has 2 clubs. Congleton are now a bigger club than our 3 clubs with a massive population expansion and Nantwich have a great chance of emerging as a bigger club with again a big new housing development close by in the town. Crewe have doubled their gates from the dark days of the re-election years and Stockport are on a massive upturn ..9,000 plus gates. There is a common denominator here… ONE CLUB - ONE TOWN = SUCCESS —-this narrow minded bigotry over the years has resulted in a new generation that does not have a credible town club they can follow anymore. How sad!!

Last edited:
There is a common denominator here… ONE CLUB - ONE TOWN = SUCCESS —-this narrow minded bigotry over the years has resulted in a new generation that does not have a credible town club they can follow anymore. How sad!!
How's that working for Ossett?

If I had to put money in what club would in mid Cheshire will still be around in 20 years, it definitely wouldn’t be Witton! Enjoy it whilst it lasts.

No complaints from me yesterday, Witton too good for us on the day and fully deserved their win. However we could have actually grabbed a draw with all the chances we created in the last 20 minutes when Witton switched off, but as seen for the last 18 months, we really struggle in front of goal.

Thought the crowd was brilliant, good turn out from both sets of supporters and neutrals who enjoyed what I thought was a good game to watch. Some of the Witton supporters I spoke to enjoyed the fact we are down but also acknowledged without us in the league they wont get a big derby day pay out moving forward.

As for the relegation, well it has been coming for the last 18 months, every game has followed the same pattern and we have had minimal threat to an opposition team. Once most players left the club around Christmas 23, it was writing on the wall sadly.

I feel the manor in which we got promoted really didn't help our club. If we won the league as we fully deserved to do in 2019/20 and covid never happened we would have seen a wave of momentum through the club including increased attendances to go in to the NPL West with, this never happened.

This league is extremely expensive to run a competitive team at the minute, hopefully it will calm down once teams like Macclesfield, Bury and a few other rich mans play things have gone up out of the way.

We will now look to reset and build ahead of the new season, in a new league with new places to go. We really need to rally behind the club now and its new manager (when appointed) and see this as a new beginning for 1874, a new chance to push on and get the feel good factor back. Hopefully we will be back in the NPL West soon and much better equipped for it.

Up the '74 💚

Well put Jack! Lets hope for that new manager soon!

Completely agree on the derby pay out! Witton will be sorry to see that go and it looks like Bury arent a fore-gone conclusion to go up too!

Well put Jack! Lets hope for that new manager soon!

Completely agree on the derby pay out! Witton will be sorry to see that go and it looks like Bury arent a fore-gone conclusion to go up too!
Yes the Derby will be missed however we move on but missing the game against us will also impact you.
The travelling support income next season for you, I would suspect, will be considerably less.
I can't see the derby game against v***s bringing in the same sort of crowd for you on Boxing day as this year.

Back