• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Witton 3-0 & relegation confirmed

I’m sorry but merger talks are a bloody joke! I’d quit football first!

Secondly, the board must carry some of the fault for this. To have not had a manager for near 8 weeks now….im afraid indecision is worse than any decision! We must appoint a manager and fast, give them the next few weeks to assess who stays and goes then start quick in building for next season now we know where we are.

It was men against boys today and that can’t be allowed to happen again.

Last rant - Two quid for a plastic cup!!!
Men v Boys.

Equally valid comparison is 💵 💰 v 🪙

Enjoyed that….Great attendance, lots of Wittoners and a real positive vibe at the club. You lot must be very envious. 😉
Great attendance? Really?

A Northwich Derby that can’t attract a four-figure crowd 😳.

Prescot v Linnets 1200+ and Bridge v Mossley 1400+.

Others have already mentioned Alty and Macc. I’d add to that Morecambe, Kidderminster, Burton, Stevenage, Harrogate, Eastleigh, Bromley, South Shields, Dulwich Hamlet, Boreham Wood, Solihull, Fleetwood et al, all of whom traditionally played at lower levels than either Vics or Albion but are now playing at a far higher level and getting bigger crowds.

Why?

I’d argue that the principal factor is that they are one-club towns and because of this they’ve been able to generate sufficient revenue through the gate, support from
Local businesses etc, lotteries etc to fund their rise up the pyramid.

Until this situation changes in Northwich then I’m afraid that the town will never again have a club that is capable of capturing the imagination of its residents or competing at the highest level of non-league football

Others have already mentioned Alty and Macc. I’d add to that Morecambe, Kidderminster, Burton, Stevenage, Harrogate, Eastleigh, Bromley, South Shields, Dulwich Hamlet, Boreham Wood, Solihull, Fleetwood et al, all of whom traditionally played at lower levels than either Vics or Albion but are now playing at a far higher level and getting bigger crowds.

Why?

I’d argue that the principal factor is that they are one-club towns and because of this they’ve been able to generate sufficient revenue through the gate, support from

Until this situation changes in Northwich then I’m afraid that the town will never again have a club that is capable of capturing the imagination of its residents or competing at the highest level of non-league football
So what are you suggesting a merged club.
With due respect many Wittoners ,including myself, would be against even contemplating that. I would certainly walk away if that happened
What would yourselves or the other team in green actually bring to the table.

Reactions: Tez

Why?

James, South Shields are not the best example. They are in their 3rd life now, having twice moved to Gateshead, and once becoming Gateshead FC in the football league. They don't even play in Shields, playing in Jarrow. Call me pedantic but my local club when I was a boy (not that I ever went, preferred Whitley Bay or Gateshead) Boldon also played in Jarrow at one stage. Pedantry aside, basically they are are a one club town, something I can never see happening in Northwich with the one eyed rivalry between the 3 clubs (forgetting Barnton of course!).

Reactions: Tez

Why?

You've mentioned at least 4 teams there that have posted losses over £1m a season recently there James.

I'd argue the days of National level football are over in the town precisely because the local teams are spending (close) to what they can afford. There are PLENTY of teams in the NPL D1W that are not, and I'm glad we aren't one of those.

James, South Shields are not the best example. They are in their 3rd life now, having twice moved to Gateshead, and once becoming Gateshead FC in the football league. They don't even play in Shields, playing in Jarrow. Call me pedantic but my local club when I was a boy (not that I ever went, preferred Whitley Bay or Gateshead) Boldon also played in Jarrow at one stage. Pedantry aside, basically they are are a one club town, something I can never see happening in Northwich with the one eyed rivalry between the 3 clubs (forgetting Barnton of course!).
They also posted a £1.1m loss to get out of the NPL Prem even with an average crowd of 2,100+

They aren't even slightly comparable to what any Northwich side could be.

You've mentioned at least 4 teams there that have posted losses over £1m a season recently there James.

I'd argue the days of National level football are over in the town precisely because the local teams are spending (close) to what they can afford. There are PLENTY of teams in the NPL D1W that are not, and I'm glad we aren't one of those.
I’m not saying for one moment that these clubs are paragons of virtue when it comes to finances. But when I was watching Vics in the eighties clubs such as Stevenage, Bromley, Solihull Moors (or Moor Green as they were known then), Eastleigh, Harrogate, Maidenhead, Brackley, Warrington, Alfreton, Aveley, Chippenham, Worthing, Braintree, Tonbridge (I could go on) were non-league also-rans and way below Vics and Albion. Now all of these are playing in the FL or National Leagues North or South.

Now, like life, football changes and neither Vics or Witton have a Devine right to stay at a high level. Football is based on results and relegation is as much of the game as promotion. But ask yourself how have club such as those I’ve cited risen to the levels they have given that many are based in towns no bigger than Northwich and don’t have a sugar-daddy bankrolling them?

I’m not saying for one moment that these clubs are paragons of virtue when it comes to finances. But when I was watching Vics in the eighties clubs such as Stevenage, Bromley, Solihull Moors (or Moor Green as they were known then), Eastleigh, Harrogate, Maidenhead, Brackley, Warrington, Alfreton, Aveley, Chippenham, Worthing, Braintree, Tonbridge (I could go on) were non-league also-rans and way below Vics and Albion. Now all of these are playing in the FL or National Leagues North or South.

Now, like life, football changes and neither Vics or Witton have a Devine right to stay at a high level. Football is based on results and relegation is as much of the game as promotion. But ask yourself how have club such as those I’ve cited risen to the levels they have given that many are based in towns no bigger than Northwich and don’t have a sugar-daddy bankrolling them?
Brackley don’t have sugar daddy🤔 👀

So what are you suggesting a merged club.
With due respect many Wittoners ,including myself, would be against even contemplating that. I would certainly walk away if that happened
What would yourselves or the other team in green actually bring to the table.
An extra level of income that your Chairman has gone on record (in his programme notes for yesterday’s match no less) would be needed to support football in the NPL Premier.

Yes, things do appear to be on the up for the Albion at present and that’s down to a great deal of hard work and dedication by many people at the club. And the level of support that you are getting from the younger generation in the town is likewise impressive

You’ll feel a but coming on here…

…but despite all the advantages that you’ve had since 2012 you’re playing at Step 4, haven’t had a decent Cup or Trophy run for years and haven’t really caught the imagination of the Northwich public.

And you don’t know the name of the town in your name (which, irrespective of whether you think so, does make a difference). Even Andy Chad (who was so kind to present me with a wooden spoon yesterday😉😂👍) has admitted this to me in the past.

But unfortunately I’m old enough and certainly ugly enough to know - both from personal experience and reading about the history of the game in the town - that a merged side which could really harness the undoubted potential in the town ain’t going to come about, particularly when, as has happened several times before, one club - be it Vics or Witton - believes that they are in s stronger position than the other and any merger would be detrimental to them.

I
An extra level of income that your Chairman has gone on record (in his programme notes for yesterday’s match no less) would be needed to support football in the NPL Premier.

Yes, things do appear to be on the up for the Albion at present and that’s down to a great deal of hard work and dedication by many people at the club. And the level of support that you are getting from the younger generation in the town is likewise impressive

You’ll feel a but coming on here…

…but despite all the advantages that you’ve had since 2012 you’re playing at Step 4, haven’t had a decent Cup or Trophy run for years and haven’t really caught the imagination of the Northwich public.

And you don’t know the name of the town in your name (which, irrespective of whether you think so, does make a difference). Even Andy Chad (who was so kind to present me with a wooden spoon yesterday😉😂👍) has admitted this to me in the past.

But unfortunately I’m old enough and certainly ugly enough to know - both from personal experience and reading about the history of the game in the town - that a merged side which could really harness the undoubted potential in the town ain’t going to come about, particularly when, as has happened several times before, one club - be it Vics or Witton - believes that they are in s stronger position than the other and any merger would be detrimental to them.
I totally get where you are coming from and agree it doesn't make sense to any outsider regarding the football situation in Northwich
However as a loyal Wittoner of nearly 50 years and my Dad's family over a century, I've got extremely strong feelings over this .
My own personal views(which will remain private) about Football within the town and how I view my team has been treated and perceived over the years, then I would rather never watch a game of football again than support a merged team.
If it happens in the future( hopefully when I'm long gone) then so be it.

I

I totally get where you are coming from and agree it doesn't make sense to any outsider regarding the football situation in Northwich
However as a loyal Wittoner of nearly 50 years and my Dad's family over a century, I've got extremely strong feelings over this .
My own personal views(which will remain private) about Football within the town and how I view my team has been treated and perceived over the years, then I would rather never watch a game of football again than support a merged team.
If it happens in the future( hopefully when I'm long gone) then so be it.
And I absolutely get where you guys are coming from. I don’t think that I’m unusual in that I’m one of many from the Green side of town that have always watched Albion from time to time.

My father in law was a staunch Wittoner and my now wife followed them regularly in the 70’s and early 80’s (my regular visits to the Central Ground did have an ulterior motive!) and I drove them to Wembley in 1992 for the Trophy Final (I well recall doing a jig of utter delight in a deserted gents toilet shortly after the game!😉👍😂). But I also ‘enjoyed’ the times I spent at WP during my 2 year ‘exile’ from the VS. I also know about the history of Vics supposedly blocking Witton’s applications to join the NPL in the mid 70’s and other instances.

Certainly the likes of Derek Nuttall Ken Edwards and then later Dave Stone did little to encourage sensible dialogue between the two clubs - particularly in the mid to late 80’s when both clubs were seeking to move out of town.
But it wasn’t all one-sided.

So do we collectively remain hostages to history or have the bravery and vision to create something that our town can all get behind, be proud of and create a lasting legacy?

It won’t happen. 74 have nothing to offer us, simple as that.
I’d refer you to your own Chairman’s notes in yesterday’s programme and his recent article in ‘Our Town’ Magazine. You need to double your attendances to be able to compete at NPL level. Where are the extra 500 full paying fans going to come from? Plus the extra bar / food sales that would be generated, ditto more members of 200/300 clubs etc, player/Match and other sponsors whom I’m sure would be willing to get behind one club.

And this isn’t just me saying this because 74 have been relegated. I penned a column when I was Vics programme editor in about 1988 and got lambasted for doing so by the myopic dinosaurs that were in charge of NVFC at the time and who were largely responsible for the clubs’ financial instability during the 80’s and 90’s.

First things first, relegation is usually deserved as you have found out (and before anyone shouts foul yes we deserved ours too). Its the culmination of years of bad planning, bad luck, bad finances and hand to mouth existence that manifests itself in one campaign. And unfortunately to reverse that position, the opposite is true. Unless your really lucky, or have bags of cash, its a long way back. So a long summer will bring reality and no doubt a lot of deep thinking. I am still not sure that community mutual owned teams can cut the mustard, but that's your Easter cross to carry. Best regards to the management team especially Vicky England who has lbeen an absolute gem for you guys - your lucky to have her.

Then comes the hard part. 1874 vs Northwich Vics in a league 5 divisions (?) below where Vics were in their heyday. This is covered elsewhere endlessly, but now oblivion beckons for both teams - and I say that not from malice, but just the realistic prospect of raising enough money within your group to pay a team, pay expenses and mount a challenge. I've been a vitriolic critic of NVFC over the years, but since the groundshare I have to say I have softened !! it really is time to have that chat as Driftwood notes.
Lovely to hear from you after such a long absence from the most lively football forum in Northwich (mind you, that’s not particularly a high bar!).

So if you suggest that we have a love in with NVFC, why don’t we all get together for the benefit of the town?

Re your comment about community clubs “not cutting the mustard” although WAFC are based on a more traditional model than the likes of us, Linnets, Chester, FCUM etc, wouldn’t you class your own club as a “community club”. Because I certainly would.

Last edited by a moderator:
And I absolutely get where you guys are coming from. I don’t think that I’m unusual in that I’m one of many from the Green side of town that have always watched Albion from time to time.

My father in law was a staunch Wittoner and my now wife followed them regularly in the 70’s and early 80’s (my regular visits to the Central Ground did have an ulterior motive!) and I drove them to Wembley in 1992 for the Trophy Final (I well recall doing a jig of utter delight in a deserted gents toilet shortly after the game!😉👍😂). But I also ‘enjoyed’ the times I spent at WP during my 2 year ‘exile’ from the VS. I also know about the history of Vics supposedly blocking Witton’s applications to join the NPL in the mid 70’s and other instances.

Certainly the likes of Derek Nuttall Ken Edwards and then later Dave Stone did little to encourage sensible dialogue between the two clubs - particularly in the mid to late 80’s when both clubs were seeking to move out of town.
But it wasn’t all one-sided.

So do we collectively remain hostages to history or have the bravery and vision to create something that our town can all get behind, be proud of and create a lasting legacy?
The future of our respective clubs doesn't lie with our generations but with the young people of Northwich.
You couldn't have failed to notice the amount of youngsters at the game the other day.
That as a club is where our future lies.
The youth set up and number of teams we have is be applauded.
That's the area we need to steal a yard on other local clubs.
At the moment I think we are more than a yard ahead

Think youre first team manager has done very well in encouraging that engagement with the young supporters both on and off the field. I believe thats where as a club we're lacking drastically, the fan engagement with the first team has fell away to almost nothing. Whatever happens next this needs to be a priority for us as a club.

The future of our respective clubs doesn't lie with our generations but with the young people of Northwich.
You couldn't have failed to notice the amount of youngsters at the game the other day.
That as a club is where our future lies.
The youth set up and number of teams we have is be applauded.
That's the area we need to steal a yard on other local clubs.
At the moment I think we are more than a yard ahead
I agree with you about the young people and your youngsters seem to be better behaved than the Vics younger element. The problem is whether they will be tainted by the same dyed in the wool views of so many of our (collectively) older supporters and refuse to countenance a merger of the 3 clubs. Most youngsters seem to be more interested in the overpaid, overhyped prima donnas of the Premier League and not to be interested in grass roots football and it is something you are to be applauded for. Whether it will be good enough in the long run we shall have to wait and see, because my, hopefully jaundiced, view is that all the clubs support will continue to deteriorate. I just hope I am proved wrong.
I don't agree with "Up the Albs" about nothing to offer -IF our 2 clubs ever merged i am sure the crowd would increase, but frankly I cannot see that happening any time soon.

I don't think 74 or Vics would have been interested in any sort of merger with us. Its only because of the situation you have both ended up in.

Back