• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Witton 3-0 & relegation confirmed

We've been relegated from the highest level we've ever played at. It's not exactly an end of days scenario.
Well it's certainly not a bright situation.
The thought of having to travel down to play a game on a wet November night after working all day isn't what I would call inviting.

Well we were well beaten on Monday, so no complaints. Again the lads really did try their hardest and were really keen to achieve an unlikely win. However we just do not have that bit of quality to create and finish chances. The stats do not lie and relegation has been coming since before Christmas. It is what it is and we cannot dwell on the whys and wherefores. We still have games to play and I am sure the lads will again give their all.

Going forward we need to be realistic. We don't have a lucrative benefactor, and for that matter would we want one? We have to recruit players within our budget which may well be lower than this year. I want an 1874 team to support next year and in 10 years time no matter what league we are in. Revenue is the golden chalice and we need to support any sort of fund raising we can. Other clubs have a bar and clubhouse we do not have that luxury so we are up against it.

I think both Wools and Jonah have done a marvellous job to galvanise the team over the last few weeks, that can't have been easy, but the tactics do leave me a bit baffled given our predicament. When the new manager comes in we must try to entice a striker who can finish, a midfielder who can create and a commanding defender and leader. I'm sure it's easier said than done but to go to academies for me is not the way forward for your key positions. A goal scorer knows where the net is whatever level given the service. A motivator and leader can make ordinary players play better. Skill and quality are are expensive but you never know. The number of close games recently have shown this is missing as there are at least 6 teams in our league that are not much better than us but they just have that edge to finish the game off.

As for a manager, I think the lads should see this season out and let the board assess where we are location and money wise and appoint the right person to lead us to the next challenge for 1874. There is no rush now.

As for tomorrow night, can we please be positive for the future and not dwell on the past. Yes money will be on the agenda but it is not the be all and end all. I want a competitive team to support but not at any cost.

See everyone on Saturday as cannot make tomorrow night.

Lovely to hear from you after such a long absence from the most lively football forum in Northwich (mind you, that’s not particularly a high bar!).

So if you suggest that we have a love in with NVFC, why don’t we all get together for the benefit of the town?

Re your comment about community clubs “not cutting the mustard” although WAFC are based on a more traditional model than the likes of us, Linnets, Chester, FCUM etc, wouldn’t you class your own club as a “community club”. Because I certainly would.
Hi James, when I talk about community clubs not cutting the mustard, I include WAFC in that grouping too. I raised the issue at a recent AGM that we needed to look at different ways of funding the club in order to avoid the hand to mouth existence that has endured for the past 25 years or so. The club has been stabilised under the new board and there is some genuine optimism around WP, but as the Chairman points out that in itself isn't enough. It takes oodles of hard cash to get back up that pyramid. We have been relegated a few times now and each time the rallying cry goes out "we'll be back" but the fact is we are playing in NPL West some 5 levels below where we once were and having spent a fair amount of our assets in the process. Yes people love the club. It ruins weekends when they lose and passions run high. But that doesn't bring success. We have discussed on other threads what the outcomes might be, but for me the starting point has to be the Northwich clubs.

Who remembers the words of Dave Twydell who has written a library of books about ex Football League clubs and defunct grounds ? I think it went thus
" The rivalry between Northwich Victoria and Witton Albion is the most vicious and pointless in English football"
Which side are you on -vicious or pointless?
If vicious you could never contemplate any type of merger. If pointless, you certainly could.
Although I don't get to many games so my views don't amount to a hill of beans, after a lifetime in the vicious camp I can't see me changing

Enjoyed that….Great attendance, lots of Wittoners and a real positive vibe at the club. You lot must be very envious. 😉

You’ve had over 10 years being the highest ranked club in town, for a big portion of that being the only team actually in the town. During that time you’ve done nothing with that, if anything you’ve gone backwards. It’s not all roses.

Think it’s time just to concentrate on ourselves now and plan for next season.
The swampies have very short memories, as it’s only a few years ago they were having a whip round on the car park to keep them from going bust.
Despite what they crave, the greens will always be around and carry the flag for Northwich.
Always have been and will be a GREEN and very proud of it !

Graham is spot on lets not worry about them and concentrate on our club, hopefully be a few at the meeting tonight.

I don't think 74 or Vics would have been interested in any sort of merger with us. Its only because of the situation you have both ended up in.
I think only a handful of ‘74 fans might be interested in mergers or at least posting , I can’t speak for Vics of course. And yes, you’re correct in saying the subject only seems to raise its head when things are on a downturn; certainly that’s when the comments section of the NG seem to fill up with merger ideas from Vics biggest fan👀
I’d agree with you and your fellow Witton posters in questioning what’s in it for you🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
The swampies have very short memories, as it’s only a few years ago they were having a whip round on the car park to keep them from going bust.
Despite what they crave, the greens will always be around and carry the flag for Northwich.
Think you’ll need more than a few creme eggs to entice your stay aways back

I think only a handful of ‘74 fans might be interested in mergers, I can’t speak for Vics of course. And yes I think you’re correct in saying the subject only seems to raise its head when things are on a downturn; certainly that’s when the comments section of the NG seem to fill up with merger ideas from Vics biggest fan👀
I’d agree with you and your fellow Witton posters in questioning what’s in it for you🤷🏼‍♂️
Agreed 👏🏻

You’ve had over 10 years being the highest ranked club in town, for a big portion of that being the only team actually in the town. During that time you’ve done nothing with that, if anything you’ve gone backwards. It’s not all roses.
I think we’re doing ok, you only had to be at the game on Monday to see who the top team are in the town. Lots of new faces and a great atmosphere. WP is a ground that fans enjoy watching football, you can’t say the same about Barnton.

Oh some of us remember those days only too well !! If you cut through the banter and look beyond what has been achieved in the past couple of seasons, its not been lost on the WAFC Chairman that there is still an awful lot to do - and be paid for. Looking inwardly might bring short term solace, but it won't fix the problems

Think you’ll need more than a few creme eggs to entice your stay aways back
Again, our average attendance is more or less the same as the past couple of years. Depending on our final 2 games, it could end up being the highest average we have had in the 3 years in NPL West.

I think we’re doing ok, you only had to be at the game on Monday to see who the top team are in the town. Lots of new faces and a great atmosphere. WP is a ground that fans enjoy watching football, you can’t say the same about Barnton.
You couldn't even get 1,000 on a Bank Holiday that saw you relegate your rivals.
There were never 902 there.
Apart from the people behind the goal, the atmosphere was dead. You gained Vics fans who had their game vs Congleton called off. Lots of neutrals there as well who didn't react to any of the goals.

For a club 'doing so well', it wasn't the greatest advertisement...

Last edited:
There’s more atmosphere on the moon than at Townfield from what I’ve seen - the surface is flatter too.

Imagine having the front to still call us Swampies 😂

I cannot see any merger between the Northwich clubs happening soon, even if some think that would make sense to have a one club town.

Hypothetically speaking, I can’t see Witton Albion being interested in a merger with 1874, as that would mean a newly merged club starting in the lower league to which 1874 have been relegated. In any case, I agree that there is not much that 1874 can bring to the table, other than widen the fan base and appeal more to wider Northwich public.

Any thought of 1874 merging with Vics in the same league next season is a non starter, as I for one would not wish to be associated with some of their abusive and hateful fans. I would rather 1874 go out of existence rather than contemplate any horrid thought of a merger with Vics

That said, with 1874 relegated, I am confident in the future of 1874 as a viable, sustainable and true fans owned club supporting the community of Northwich, as that is what we are all about. Yes, it will be a time for us to reflect upon our experience in the NPL but also to look forward to our future in the Midlands league if that is where we end up having to play our football games next season.

Up the 74.

On attendances: I’m surprised how they’ve held up this season with what’s been on offer on the pitch.

Boxing Day shows the potential when things pick up on the pitch again.

Get the right manager, and have a competitive season next year and look to fight back up to the NPL, no doubt they’ll be back up at the 300+ mark.

Again, our average attendance is more or less the same as the past couple of years. Depending on our final 2 games, it could end up being the highest average we have had in the 3 years in NPL West.

You couldn't even get 1,000 on a Bank Holiday that saw you relegate your rivals.
Apart from the people behind the goal, the atmosphere was dead. You gained Vics fans who had their game vs Congleton called off. Lots of neutrals there as well who didn't react to any of the goals.

For a club 'doing so well', it wasn't the greatest advertisement...
Take Boxing Day out and what would it be then

Take Boxing Day out and what would it be then
I posted this a few weeks ago. It doesn't include the 244 vs Newcastle Town. They only brought about 10, so we didn't get an away support bounce.
Clitheroe and Linnets games could quite easily push the average back up to and above what we achieved last season...

Our attendances over the past 3 years have been generally consistent.
Last season's average was bolstered by two 800+ crowds vs Witton & Macclesfield.
This season we had 1,000+ on Boxing Day, a league & ground record for us.

Our lower attendances have mainly been on Tuesday nights and the lowest was a rearranged game.

1874 average league attendances
21/22: 281
22/23: 346 (Without Witton & Mac: 286)
23/24: 310 (16 games) (Without Witton): 262

We still have 3 home games. Newcastle Town is being promoted for Easter Saturday. Clitheroe are challenging for playoffs. Linnets will have made the playoffs by the final game of the season.

Attendances vs Linnets were 645 in 21/22 (New Year's Day) & 440 in 22/23.

An alternative view would be that, in relative terms, it’s not a bad effort given there was very little promotion of the game (this is one of very few areas you’re ahead in!) and there wasn’t exactly a legion of 1874 fans to bolster the gate.

The Boxing Day gate was a brilliant achievement for you guys, so full credit for the work you put in advertising the game, but bear in mind more than half of it was Wittoners/neutrals and Boxing Day will always attract the bigger crowd of the two bank holidays - unless there’s something huge at stake for both teams.

Edit: either way, whether it’s 900 or 1,000, it’s piss poor for a town with our non-league heritage!

Last edited:
Back