• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Thatcham.

Today was all about damage limitation. Thatcham were a decent side, no doubting that. Possibly we hoped to keep them out for as long as possible and then nick a goal? Unfortunately they struck early and at that point we needed to make sure we didn’t concede a second or third, which with some stoic defending in the second half and a few slices of luck along the way, we achieved. Chances for us were indeed thin on the ground, but they were there. Scotty and Jake could have pegged one back and Sam had some luck down the right side too today.

All to play for. Looking forward to next Saturday. I anticipate a different approach, ask a few more questions of the Thatcham defence and more pertinently the ‘keeper who looks their weakest link.

Bring it on :scarf:

The important thing is we're still in this tie and we've got the advantage of being at home in the second leg. I think we can all agree that it wasn't a classic performance, whether that's down to the conditions, nerves, etc, I don't know, but we shouldn't dwell on that. Even though we weren't great, they still only beat us with a penalty and didn't create many chances afterwards, apart from the curling effort that Greg did well to tip round the post. Granted we didn't either, but when they were tested, they didn't look great, epitomised when one defender smashed his clearance into the other inside their own box and on another day would've fallen to our attackers and who knows from there on in.

Still all to play for on Saturday, but for now, see you Tuesday.

Could have been a lot worse than 1-0 but the saves Greg made were pretty routine. Given the number of goals they've scored perhaps defences are worse in their league?

It'll be interesting to see how they approach the second leg. Do they try & get a second or sit back and hold what they've got.
And we've probably got Adam & Shelton available for the 2nd leg so more attacking options if we need them.

Reactions: Tez
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Big support at Wincham Park and we can overturn a 1 goal deficit.

Best team won no doubt about that and they are decent but well beatable with a really suspect goalkeeper, I thought we were poor and didn't understand why Sam was taken of as he did well, we never really got our passing game going, big shout for a penalty but didn't have the best view, bit naughty throwing a flare over the fence however their fans were very quiet and showed mot many go to games, good support from ours and still well doable, let's hope for a big crowd to See us home
See you all tuesday

Could have been a lot worse than 1-0 but the saves Greg made were pretty routine. Given the number of goals they've scored perhaps defences are worse in their league?

It'll be interesting to see how they approach the second leg. Do they try & get a second or sit back and hold what they've got.
And we've probably got Adam & Shelton available for the 2nd leg so more attacking options if we need them.

I think the point about Greg was that he did ALL the routine things well. It’s a good ‘keeper that makes things look so.
His handling was impeccable - held on to everything in the air and on the ground - and dealt with more than a couple of back passes on a bobbly pitch and under pressure. Just his goal kicks which sometimes went astray but not helped by always having to go out wide.

The defence, whilst a little shaky at times, threw everything behind the ball. How many blocks yesterday??

Thatcham score fun for yet we limited them to a penalty.

Last edited:
Not the best performance in the end. Thatcham could have won by more were it not for Greg Hall.We created very little ourselves also. Most important thing though is we're just one goal down and still in the tie. I expect to see a more positive, attack-minded performance where we go at Thatcham more in the second leg. Let's use our home advantage and do our bit to get behind the lads with a bumper crowd and great atmosphere. We can still do it, up the 74! :scarf:

We didn’t overcommit ourselves going forward for most of the ninety minutes yesterday, which is why we are only one nil down and still very much in this cup tie, having got a tough away game against usually free scoring opposition out of the way now.
Next week is very much a different scenario. Next week is a one off game now, there has to be a winner at the end of it. Next week I expect us to test that Thatcham unbeaten run, ask some questions about how resolute they really are. If we do that and Thatcham stand up to that test, then they’ll deserve (i’ll reluctantly concede) to go to Wembley. Do I see Thatcham walking out at Wembley? ..... Hell no! :D
:scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf::scarf:

Pressure their goalie he is undoubtedly the weakest link as Anne would say

Having slept on the performance yesterday I think I can appreciate two things that our lads did well.

There is no doubt that for around 20 mins in the first half we were well on top passing it around really well and having two of our best chances in that period. Scotty through on goal which just run away from him and Taylor's great effort on the turn which the goalie saved well. This good spell followed the disappointment of the penalty which I still think was harsh but if you dangle a leg well........ So for us to get back into the game gradually after the penalty showed real character. We could have easily buckled. With us not taking the two chances they upped the pressure on us before half time with some good efforts which Greg dealt with excellently and so the score was probably just about right.

After the break our defending was excellent, not much got past Mitch and Pritch, and talk about bodies in the way as Nicki posted, there were many efforts blocked by numerous last ditch defenders. We really did nullify an attack that was always threatening and had previously been free flowing scorers.

In summary, the bookies have pushed our price out, but what do they know! We are still very much favorites in my eyes and with 1000+ voices behind us Thatcham won't know what's hit them. I can only see them bringing a hundred or so to fill their end which will pale into insignificance to our crowd. The only time they open their mouth yesterday was when they scored. Other than that....nothing! Not even to clap their player off being substituted! So come on Northwich.. .....get behind our lads from the first whistle to the end and remember there's an interested party looking down on us cheering from the sky!!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Just watched the highlights video, their no 9 looks like a brilliant centre forward
He was impressive Ste, although he faded a little in his effectiveness in the last quarter I thought. Capable of playing a step up perhaps, but no evidence he ever has though. Perhaps one of those decent players who considers his day job more important?

Having slept on the performance yesterday I think I can appreciate two things that our lads did well.

Likewise.
We played this game like it was the first and away leg of a two-leg tie... which it was.
We completely achieved our goal of making sure we stayed in the tie. Once we went a goal down, I think it had to be damage limitation from then on. 86 minutes of goal-free football. I think the managers will be more than happy with that.

:scarf:

Just watched the highlights. Given that was Thatcham footage and Thatcham editing, we had more of the game than I remember. Illustrated nicely as well (I felt at least) what a cracking job our defence did in nullifying their attacking threat, with a little luck thrown in as well I guess ;)

Back