• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Runcorn Linnets v 1874 - Tue 13th Sept

Runcorn engage in a bit of gamesmanship and always have done, but so do quite a few teams in the league. I've always thought that we are too nice and should do a bit of it ourselves.

Don't ever want to see us cheat to win but I do think that every game is different and teams have to be able to adapt to the situation and do whatever it takes to win games, there's no doubt Imo that we are far too naive compared to other teams in the league.

Would you mind giving a bit more detail on all this cheating rubbish you keep going on about? You seem to be judging our entire team by one tackle where your player got sent off (yet again). Who are you to say that Lawty or Chappell didn't get hurt when you weren't involved in the tackle or even stood on the pitch? It was a crunching 50/50 tackle that I heard from right down the other end.

Apart from the above what else did we do in the entire game to be labelled cheats as a club? As is mentioned above there was only Greg time wasting, several times you had lads lying on the floor to be just told by the ref to get up, and it was only Hind who was getting very mouthy with the officials and Linnets players for the last 20 minutes.
I'm sure 1874 officials are grateful for all the help they received from all parties in setting up the club, that has nothing to do with Tuesday's game and certainly doesn't give you the right for all the "gamesmanship" you produced in our three visits!
More detail...we've had three 1874 players sent off at Runcorn thanks to over dramatic screams on 50/50 tackles and Runcorn players surrounding the ref screaming for red cards!. Mikey Whyte (no additional info needed on that!), Diving for penalties (watch the video!). ...shall I go on?
If you watch the video (obviously you haven't yet), you'll see the tackle was a 50/50 challange (on a very wet surface), about 10 feet from the touch line....the guy stood behind the fence there....is me! Much better view than mr Simpson, better view than the 4/5 Runcorn players than surrounded the ref!, and certainly a much better view than you had at the other end of the pitch! If you'd have stood where I was you would have seen Lawtons reaction...not the reaction of someone REALLY hurt!
The sound you "heard" was Chappells boot catching across the front of the shin pads (those things you wear to protect your legs!), If you'd have been closer you would have heard Lawtons studs running down Chappels leg too!
Btw, when I bang my shin I don't tend to scream like a girl!
We had to take off our top scorer and play two thirds of the game with 10 men thanks to Lawtons actions so your saying we were wrong to do what we did!?.....you wouldn't have time wasted too...really!
If you wanted the game speeding up give Greg a second ball like you did your keeper!!
I do find it funny that you are giving us advice on what we need to do to win the league!....didn't you bottle it three years in a row!!
We'll try it the Colne way thanks, you can keep your "style" of play !!
Now off to your own forum, put your other face on and carry on slagging us off and publishing links to our forum for your fans amusement.....like you usual do

Last edited:
For what it's worth Ste, I found Linnets to be a friendly club. I came down to the game from North Wales and a Linnets fan kindly waited for me at the train station to take me to the ground from there after seeing my message asking for directions on your forum. I also had a nice welcome at the turnstile and all your fans seemed friendly in the social club. At the end of the day, you're a fellow fan-owned club doing things the right way and I'll always want the best for you. Local derbies are always going to have contentious moments and all fans are going to have different opinions and see a game differently, but I don't see the need for things to get so heated at times. For me, 1-1 was a fair result and I look forward to the return game at the BS later on in the season. Good luck for the rest of the season and hope you post again on our forum, as it's great to have fans of other clubs contributing on here.

So the disappearing spare balls behind each goal when you took the lead last season never happened then? Dream on...

We took the lead last season with a few minutes to go, obviously in that situation you just try to kill the game off having been behind since the 10th minute. What I'm saying is that if we took the lead like you guys did a couple of minutes into the second half, or been pegged back with 25 to go, we would have gone on to try and win the game.

Don't get me wrong, at times it was to our detriment and actually cost us but more often than not if your fit enough and push hard enough you get over the line.

Anyway it's clear that many of you on here believe your side to be holier than most others and play football the way angels do, with no tackling or bad language, so at this point I will wish you good luck and see you all that the BS in November for what will no doubt be another terrific encounter.

We took the lead last season with a few minutes to go, obviously in that situation you just try to kill the game off having been behind since the 10th minute. What I'm saying is that if we took the lead like you guys did a couple of minutes into the second half, or been pegged back with 25 to go, we would have gone on to try and win the game.
What absolute rubbish!!
You took the lead with a man advantage (again!)...different situation altogether!!
If we'd had the man advantage (chance would be a fine thing!), we would have gone for the kill.
Your telling us that if you took the lead playing with 10 men against 11 you'd carry on attacking......what idiots do you take us for?! You'd have done exactly the same thing we did and you know it!

Yes chance would be a fine thing, because your players just can't keep themselves. Your team has always had a terrible disciplinary record and not just against us.

Yes that's what I'm saying and Im not using the plural word idiots as there is only one. You see us twice a year where as I go to every game and know how we play. But as usual why let facts get in the way of your deluded opinion and a good moan hey Blackie! I bet some of your fellow forum users wish you had stuck with Vics when you did your U turn back to them last season.

Yes chance would be a fine thing, because your players just can't keep themselves. Your team has always had a terrible disciplinary record and not just against us.

Think that says more about the generally crap refereeing in this league.

In the brief start to this season Alan maybe, but your overall disciplinary has been discussed between you guys on here a lot over the last few years, especially when it came to red cards for descent.

Yes that's what I'm saying and Im not using the plural word idiots as there is only one. You see us twice a year where as I go to every game and know how we play. But as usual why let facts get in the way of your deluded opinion and a good moan hey Blackie! I bet some of your fellow forum users wish you had stuck with Vics when you did your U turn back to them last season.

The boys have worked really hard on their discipline the last two seasons and are doing a fantastic job.
We got on with it Tues and dug in for a result without retaliation!

My comments are an opinion based on how Runcorn have played in the games they have played against us and general discussions with other teams fans I have met during the seasons. Are we all wrong?! Perhaps if you put your other eye in now and again?

I don't have a problem with my fellow forum users and if they want to have an opinion of me then that's their right.
I doubt if you'd find many off them who would have expected us to carry on attacking 1 up with 10 men or believe your team would!

You haven't answered any questions with decent answers and are obviously getting agitated because you are losing the arguments with me and my fellow supporters! Cheap shots have never bothered me but if you'd prefer that than actually admitting you were wrong then carry on!
Btw, my comments are on the 1874 forum, don't like them don't come on!

Nice to see the REAL ste emerging!

In the brief start to this season Alan maybe, but your overall disciplinary has been discussed between you guys on here a lot over the last few years, especially when it came to red cards for descent.

Again down to awful referees who for whatever reason only seem to look out for players reacting and don't know how to respond to initial incidents

Reds for going down?

Our disciplinary record ain't the best, but the facts clearly show its better then linnets. Talk about blinkered! Ignoring facts now

Back