• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Runcorn Linnets v 1874 - Tue 13th Sept

My views on the game;

- Tom's disallowed goal should of stood, not sure what was wrong with it
- Wasn't a red card as they went in with the same 50/50 challenge. In this big of a game at the early stage, it should of been a yellow for BOTH at worse.
- Although we could say we were quite lucky as even though it was at the other end from where I was standing, Greg looked to have fouled their player which would of been a red card & a FK or pen in the 1st half.

Thought the lads were immense and although it was 1 point, the way we battled for 70 mins with 10 men, it felt like a win as in other years we'd of let our heads go down but instead we dug in and kept going. Also, the team we have now work a lot harder for each other as I don't think Beadle would of chased down like Bailey & Hind did last night. Greg made some cracking saves, Connors & Russell defended like their lives depended on it but MOM for me was Hind who didn't stop running and chased everything.

For me they were the better team overall but mainly because we had 10 and sat too deep and they didn't create nowhere near enough considering we only had 10 men for majority of the game. They aren't a patch on their previous years teams but considering they had no squad a few weeks back, fair play to them. They were very pacy and direct but their defence wasn't great, which for me was the most disappointing thing as with 11 v 11, I think our front 3 would of easily got the better of them. I do believe they'll be in the top 5 at the end of the season.

Overall, that was a good result for us and it's improvements in games like this when things didn't go our way to keep on battling that come the end of the season will put us in the mix for the league. Well done lads, keep it going!!

I used to say this about us the past few seasons...
You are always going to get bad referees and bad decisions in every game, and if your team can't win games despite the decisions then you are not as good as you think you are and you do not deserve the 3 points.

Happened to us many of times, our fans blame the referee constantly, but it's nothing to do with him it's cause we weren't good enough to win game. Do see you as one of the favourites and wish you good luck for the season!

Up to the sending off I thought the game was even but for the rest of the half Runcorn used the extra man very well with their right flank always looking dangerous. Fortunately for us Greg made a few good saves to keep us level at the interval (which was needed so our manager could "sort everything out" - and this he did because the second half performance was excellent)

There is real progress in this team compared to last season:
Work Harder
Fitter
and most importantly - don't get 'involved' when things seem to be going against us
Put that together with the skill and commitment these lads have and we will be well in the mix come April / May.
Battled and dug it out last night and for me - Streety and the backroom had it spot on.

I agree with the above but think we need to have 5 subs available to us not the 4 we seem to have to give us an extra option, Saying that and I say it again that despite the ref the lads did superbly well especially late on when we began to tire.
Oh well on to Saturday and hopefully 3 points.
Will chappie get more than 3 games for the second red if we don't appeal.
Not seen the video but if it shows what others say then lets hope we do appeal as Linnets did the other year and were successful.

Well just about calmed down from last night. Really annoyed my wife when I got in! Couldn't stop talking about it. She went to bed!!

Firstly as many have said, we would have lost that game last season, just like the Barnoldswick game. It shows the new mentality we have and the management should be applauded for that. Not sure how much Wayne has to do with this but at Barnoldswick for much of the second half he was coaching our back four from the touchline beneath us and it worked.

Again don't like to criticise referees but the critical decisions last night he got wrong.
  1. Tom Bailey first half goal! their player passed it to him. (on the goal cam)
  2. Chappie's sending off. Never in this world, again the goal cam shows their player with two feet to Chappie's one and Chappie is coming accross from the side with his foot lower than their player. The club should certainly appeal with the video evidence. If you remember in the Ward/Chappie incident two seasons back Linnets successfully appealed their sending off whereas we didn't even appeal. The picture of Chappie's leg said it all for me and who got up first without rolling around on the floor?
  3. Gregg may well have got away with a penalty incident in the first half. We were at the other end and immediately thought it could have been given.
  4. Mark Jones, never a booking, there were many other challenges far worse. I didn't even think it was a foul!
As I said earlier glad with the point under the circumstances but it could have been 3. With our forward line and this battling spirit we should definitely be up there at the end. Well done lads and keep us at the top.

See you Saturday

There's no point trying to discuss the game on here as most of you lot are so blinkered it's hilarious. You would do well to read Andrew Simpsons view on the games before commenting.

But I do find it dissapointing and in poor spirit that someone above would say how happy they were to see a fellow supporter owned Cheshire based club, who helped 1874 Northwich get off the ground, miss out on promotion. I certainly won't be saying that if and when you guys go up.

I'm really proud of our team after their performance the other night. A real battling display with 10 men for a large part of the game and I thought we were worth our point. Overall, against 10 men, I felt linnets had the better of the game and had the better chances but we dug in and after taking the lead looked the better team and could have got that killer second. As it happened, linnets did find the equaliser and from that moment on, we were hanging on a little, so I was grateful for the final whistle. From what I saw of them, they're still a side capable of being amongst the top 5 at least. As for the sending off, I won't comment as I was too far away to see, so I will await Chris's excellent highlights. An excellent point though considering the circumstances in the type of game we would have lost in previous seasons. We've come on a lot as a team from last season, and this is certainly the strongest squad we've had in my mind. I'm confident we'll be challenging come the end of the season. Well done to Streety and the lads once again. :scarf:

There's no point trying to discuss the game on here as most of you lot are so blinkered it's hilarious.

I'm sure if we read your forum (but it's closed off to the public for some reason) we'd say exactly the same thing to you.

BREAKING NEWS: TWO PEOPLE DONT SEE THE SAME THING IN THE SAME WAY.

That's football.

There's no point trying to discuss the game on here as most of you lot are so blinkered it's hilarious. You would do well to read Andrew Simpsons view on the games before commenting.

But I do find it dissapointing and in poor spirit that someone above would say how happy they were to see a fellow supporter owned Cheshire based club, who helped 1874 Northwich get off the ground, miss out on promotion. I certainly won't be saying that if and when you guys go up.
Firstly...this club is off the ground because of all the fantastic people within it that put a lot of hard work in.
Granted they had advance (from many sources), but we are not up and running because of Runcorn Linnets FC.

Secondly...When you start playing the game in the spirit it's meant to be played then you can have a thank you!
Until then I'm glad to see that fair play and good hard work still gets its rewards and cheats don't prosper!!

Thirdly....And I'd rather listen to the opinion of chubbs who gets to see the replays on video than a sports writer who got a quick few seconds view.

Thirdly....And I'd rather listen to the opinion of chubbs who gets to see the replays on video than a sports writer who got a quick few seconds view.
ERM.. simmo was giving an unbiased view on the game he was watching without the aid of video replays, slow motion and close ups, and i think most of the refs give their decisions without the aid of video technology also ;)

It's interesting seeing the exchange of views between fans.

I attended this game supporting neither team so I can give a more neutral view.

1. From my view the sending off looked correct. I had a similar line of sight as the 1874 manager. I was obscured from seeing the challenge from the Linnets player.

2. I was in line with the Linnets penalty appeal and it was not a foul. If anything the Linnets player went looking for a penalty and went down easily. In my opinion he was lucky not to be booked for diving.

3. The 1874 players became too distracted after the sending off and didn't focus on the game. They lost discipline and shape. Some players spent more time arguing with the ref and let play pass them by. Linnets had the best of the 1st half but only created one clear chance. Credit to the 1874 manager who organised his side well after the break.

4. Linnets are a much better footballing team than last year. However they do go down very easily and try to con the ref. However in the 2nd half 1874 also had a player doing likewise to win free kicks just outside the box

5. 1874 look a much stronger team this season and may well challenge for the title. The only question is whether the squad has depth.

6. I thought a draw was a fair result but with 11 players I believe 1874 would have won comfortably.

7. Why do Linnets have a spare ball behind their goal but not the visitors? I thought the booking of the 1874 keeper was a joke given this position and it conned the ref.

So my views are only as I saw it as a neutral without the passion of being a supporter of either team.

Again don't like to criticise referees but the critical decisions last night he got wrong.
  1. Tom Bailey first half goal! their player passed it to him. (on the goal cam)
  2. Chappie's sending off. Never in this world, again the goal cam shows their player with two feet to Chappie's one and Chappie is coming accross from the side with his foot lower than their player. The club should certainly appeal with the video evidence. If you remember in the Ward/Chappie incident two seasons back Linnets successfully appealed their sending off whereas we didn't even appeal. The picture of Chappie's leg said it all for me and who got up first without rolling around on the floor?
  3. Gregg may well have got away with a penalty incident in the first half. We were at the other end and immediately thought it could have been given.
  4. Mark Jones, never a booking, there were many other challenges far worse. I didn't even think it was a foul!
So after looking closely at not only the webcam shots but now the match video I'd like to amend my original post.
1. No change, a goal all day long.
2. Really interesting to see this slowed down. The Runcorn player actually gets the ball just before Chappie comes in. Both challenges were fully committed and as the Runcorn player got there first, a foul was a correct decision. However a sending off is still incorrect in my opinion. A booking would have been harsh given the conditions.
3. Thought the Runcorn player went into Gregg rather than the other way around.
4. Sorry Mark, thats a booking!!

Who would be a referee!!

Firstly...this club is off the ground because of all the fantastic people within it that put a lot of hard work in.
Granted they had advance (from many sources), but we are not up and running because of Runcorn Linnets FC.

Secondly...When you start playing the game in the spirit it's meant to be played then you can have a thank you!
Until then I'm glad to see that fair play and good hard work still gets its rewards and cheats don't prosper!!

I didn't say you were created because of us, I said we helped you get off the ground and I would of thought that sort of friendship would be remembered. I'm sure it is by many at 1874.

Would you mind giving a bit more detail on all this cheating rubbish you keep going on about? You seem to be judging our entire team by one tackle where your player got sent off (yet again). Who are you to say that Lawty or Chappell didn't get hurt when you weren't involved in the tackle or even stood on the pitch? Have you never stubbed your toe on something or banged your shin? Hurts like a bitch for a few minutes doesn't it. It was a crunching 50/50 tackle that I heard from right down the other end, both players were bound to feel it. So what if he got up after it? Are you suggesting that every time a player gets sent off the other lad should be carried off on a stretcher? You were exactly the same 2 years ago over the Ward/Wade red card. "It can't of been a red card, he carried on playing after it". I've no idea how old you are but I think your interpretation of how a red card works is very different than the modern laws of the game.

Apart from the above what else did we do in the entire game to be labelled cheats as a club? As is mentioned above there was only Greg time wasting, several times you had lads lying on the floor to be just told by the ref to get up, and it was only Hind who was getting very mouthy with the officials and Linnets players for the last 20 minutes.

It's also a brilliant comment above about the ref not having a slow motion camera to look at mid game.

Let me give you some advice. If your going to mount a proper challenge for the title this year then you are going to come across a lot of teams who will want to stop you by whatever it takes. Instead of whinging about it and feeling sorry for yourselves you have to rise above everything and do what it takes despite all obstacles to get the 3 points. There's no way that our team of the last 3 years would of slowed down after taking the lead, or held out for a draw after the equaliser. We would of only considered winning the match and tried to do only that. We did it once v Bootle with 9 men. Another example is Colne coming from behind to draw with and almost beat Colls last season with only 9 men. A winning mentality gets you over most issues.

There's no way that our team of the last 3 years would of slowed down after taking the lead, or held out for a draw after the equaliser.
Don't make me laugh Steve! I know you can laugh as well!!

Our ground year before last was a joke.

We all do it. Some more than others.

Back