• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

New Keeper?????

Not for me not at all happy but will see before voicing real opinions

Matt has been treated with utter disrespect by the club. If this is what you get by being honest and passionate about what you do he is better off not being associated with 1874.
This was NOT a footballing decision based on form.

As you seem to one of the few who 'know' what is going on the responsibility for enabling this thread to progress as a sensible debate rests with you. Share it.

Pete yes you are quite correct I am aware of certain issues that have arisen during recent weeks at OUR football club. My opinion on Matts departure is exactly that - my opinion.
It is the responsibility of the club to put the record straight. Some might agree with the decision others won't.
All I will say is that I didn't hear any discontent with Matts performances in recent weeks, then all of a sudden he leaves & people start questioning his performances!

Themule may I ask why the only topic you quote is this,after you joined on Friday?.a little bit of a stirrer are you.

Last edited:
No conspiracy toddy, I have been on forum many times previously, just forgot log in details.
I honestly feel Matt has been treated unfairly that's all.

Sorry Themule I don't believe you,even if what you say is true,any open minded person would wait until the facts come out before condemning either side.

Pete yes you are quite correct I am aware of certain issues that have arisen during recent weeks at OUR football club. My opinion on Matts departure is exactly that - my opinion.
It is the responsibility of the club to put the record straight. Some might agree with the decision others won't.
All I will say is that I didn't hear any discontent with Matts performances in recent weeks, then all of a sudden he leaves & people start questioning his performances!

If you look at this from a neutral point of view we have replaced a 34 year old keeper with a younger model who won the league last year & has twice been NWCFL keeper of the year.
From an 1874 fan point of view. I didn't see a new keeper as a priority, but we've signed someone who by all accounts is a step up on what we've got.
Being a keeper though it's the only position where the previous shirt holder finds himself out of the team. Beadle hasn't removed MVB & Kirky & Wardy are in the team together.

As for what, if anything, has gone on behind the scenes I've no idea & don't care. Nothing seems to leak out of the club & I'm glad of that.

'Themule' - you are entitled to your opinion and entitled to voice it on here, but unless you have anything concrete to put forward from your apparently "in the know" position you will have to respect that others will treat the rumour and speculation with a degree of cynicism, particularly based on our past experiences with a previous incarnation of this forum in an earlier footballing life.

Understandable Alan - equally others should respect my opinion - they don't have to agree!
It is frustrating that whenever anyone has a go at the club or management, everyone goes on the defensive.
No posts on here from me now you will be glad to hear

Themule you are entitled to your opinion,but you made a statement the club had disrespected Matt,when you do not know the facts.By the way i am very sorry Matt has left the club,he is a great keeper and i wish him all the very best.

Understandable Alan - equally others should respect my opinion - they don't have to agree!
It is frustrating that whenever anyone has a go at the club or management, everyone goes on the defensive.
No posts on here from me now you will be glad to hear
An opinion is one thing.
Banging on endlessly without true facts is another!!
S**t happens!, get on with it!

Will there be any statement from the club regarding Conkies departure?

Reactions: Ben
If you look at this from a neutral point of view we have replaced a 34 year old keeper with a younger model who won the league last year & has twice been NWCFL keeper of the year.
From an 1874 fan point of view. I didn't see a new keeper as a priority, but we've signed someone who by all accounts is a step up on what we've got.
Being a keeper though it's the only position where the previous shirt holder finds himself out of the team. Beadle hasn't removed MVB & Kirky & Wardy are in the team together.

As for what, if anything, has gone on behind the scenes I've no idea & don't care. Nothing seems to leak out of the club & I'm glad of that.

Although I do agree with the logic, just seems a bit sudden. It's something the could've been done between seasons, after all Conks was still putting in solid performances, there was no need for sudden change.

I started this thread because of what I was told from a reliable source from within...

He was sacked for off the field as regards to on it, it isn't for me to divulge the full facts, that is upto the club or conkie and I think either/or, should come out and explain because the truth always has a way of coming out, if the club think by saying nothing that it'll go away, I don't think this will.

We are a fans run club that's run differently so come out and tell us wots happened..

No doubt I'll get pelters, cos I've said stuff people won't like, like the mule above who obviously nos what happened to....

The professional response from a well run club would be to announce his departure and make no comment if there is a disciplinary aspect as that should remain confidential between club and player.
To do otherwise would open the situation up to an unseemly 'he said this - they said that' public slanging match - you've seen the seeds sown in this thread already.
These things happen and it doesn't lessen the gratitude we should have to Matt but it is also a reminder that we are seeing more of the reality of running a football club and the on going balancing act the board face in achieving that whilst including the fans as far as possible.

Back