• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

New Keeper?????

If Greg Hall is our new keeper, this a big IF, you can not have this attitude that he shouldn't be given a chance?! Why? Because he gave it back to the fans after we gave him stick...its a bad mentality, he won NWCFL Premier Division keeper of the year two seasons on the run...

...for all we know we could be reading in to this way to far

Up the 74!

Last edited:
The guy is from a league winning team. We have to evolve as a team and if the opportunity comes along to sign quality players then why not.
If we are going to let sentiment rules our heads we will never improve as a team.
Conks has been a great keeper but has tended to make mistakes as the level of football has got tougher.
Let's at least have an open mind on the subject and give the guy a chance!!

Very disappointed to read that we have signed this player. His antics in the FA Vase game were nothing short of disgraceful towards our fans and his tweets afterwards were also not pleasant. He will have to do a lot to convince me he's the right man to play for our club, imo we shouldn't be associating ourselves with a player who conducts himself in this way, regardless of his ability.

Last edited:
Only tweet I can see from Greg says
Instead of throwing abuse at me you should concentrate on the game 1874 fans. Disgusting. Your team deserve more!!!
He got a load of stick/abuse & reacted. From where I was stood I wasn't aware of him getting the stick so he did appear to be a complete pillock to me.

I'm surprised we've signed a new keeper but I've no idea about what goes on behind the scenes.
At the end of the day Ian thinks we need him so that'll do for me.

Offering fans fights on the pitch and running over to the fans and violently swearing isn't the way anybody should conduct themselves though and as a fan run club it's dangerous signing a player like this.

Have we always been whiter than white though Callum? To be honest a lot of football fans have a one sided view of giving stick, in that it can be given out in spadefuls but players aren't expected to give it back.

Let's get behind the players and the team; draw a line under something which was after all, last season.

I think the use of the term "dangerous" to describe a new signing is perhaps a bit of an over-reaction!

I'm surprised that 1874 have signed Greg Hall. In 40 years of watching football from European Club Competitions right down to North West Counties his behaviour that afternoon was the worst I've ever seen. It was a lot more than abuse coming from the terraces and his antics made me walk away from the game. I didn't want continue to witnessing the vile language and threats being made. In my opinion he crossed a line of decent behaviour. I don't support 1874 but come along to their games however I'm not sure I'll continue to do this if this is the type of player they want.

In defence of Ian Street I'm sure Halls behaviour towards 1874 fans that afternoon wasnt probably seen from his position.

I'm not saying our fans are always perfect because we aren't, however, there is a line that can't be crossed and as a fan run club we need to be aware that we have to set an example, and bringing in a player that acted the way he did in my opinion is wrong. There are certain players that I would personally never want to see represent our club, and unfortunately Greg Hall is one of them after that afternoon.

I'm surprised that 1874 have signed Greg Hall. In 40 years of watching football from European Club Competitions right down to North West Counties his behaviour that afternoon was the worst I've ever seen. It was a lot more than abuse coming from the terraces and his antics made me walk away from the game. I didn't want continue to witnessing the vile language and threats being made. In my opinion he crossed a line of decent behaviour. I don't support 1874 but come along to their games however I'm not sure I'll continue to do this if this is the type of player they want.

In defence of Ian Street I'm sure Halls behaviour towards 1874 fans that afternoon wasnt probably seen from his position.
Green Dragon, I understand your views on that FA Vase game, it wasn't a nice atmosphere what so ever, but tensions were high after Lee Jones raised his hands and was sent off.

I would request you give Greg a chance and not let it effect you attending our games because we as a club value every single person who comes through our gates to watch 1874.

Green Dragon, I understand your views on that FA Vase game, it wasn't a nice atmosphere what so ever, but tensions were high after Lee Jones raised his hands and was sent off.

I would request you give Greg a chance and not let it effect you attending our games because we as a club value every single person who comes through our gates to watch 1874.

He started whole thing through time wasting and his behaviour just got worse. Your club like mine is fans run. We have done this because of previous mis management. Part of been fans run is operating at an unquestionable level in terms of financial management and operating values/standards. It's about winning being important but not before the principles of the club standards. When you cross this line of these standards then you are no different from clubs who don't live by them. I personally think this signing is close to crossing those standards. As it's not my club it doesn't matter but for those who witnessed him and drfend the signing then I find that difficult to understand.

Can't question his ability, let's see what he's made of.

Would be a shame to see Conks go, hopefully he'll still be involved at the club in some form.

Give him the player behaviour policy/expectations, if he doesn't follow them then show him the door, but we should at least give the guy a chance. Don't forget we looked at Shaun Tuck and the board correctly vetoed it so I'm sure all signings are well thought through. I trust the club on this one.

That game was a masterclass in gamesmanship from Glossop which we succumbed to rather easily. Greg Hall was part of that.
He is however, a very good goalkeeper at this level and would add to our team. I am sure he will be made aware of our expectations on all levels. Shaun Tuck he is not.
For me - draw a line, move on.
Welcome to the club Greg.:scarf:

Simmo on twitter:

"Have spoken to @1874Northwich boss Ian Street. He's confirmed Matthew Conkie will depart as result of Greg Hall's arrival. Story to follow."

Most of us used to support Vics. Dino Maamria was a player we used to hate. He came to the Vics and we loved him. Preecey - we gave his stick when he was at Bury for the FA Cup game but again we loved him. Perhaps Hall will be the same. I am lucky enough to have an open mind and did not see the GNE games so will judge him on his merits. I will be sorry to see Conkie go but times change and he has not looked as good this season as the first two (at least to my eyes). Good lcuk to Matt wherever he goes

Back