• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner

Just watching Gareth Ainsworth on MoTD. Remember watching him destroy a few defences in a Vics shirt, particularly Telford at Bucks Head. One of the best loan signings for Vics, along with Ian Nolan and Dele Adebola.

I remember that game Kit it was a night match I think we won 4-1,

Pretty sure it was a New Years Day game. Tony Hemmings ran the full length of the field and set John Stringer up for a tap in.
Only time I've ever seen a referee applaud a goal.

re Bates ... Was that the one up near the top of Manchester Road (roughly opposite where Tesco is), set back a bit?

re Bates ... Was that the one up near the top of Manchester Road (roughly opposite where Tesco is), set back a bit?
Bates' Foundry was next to Barbers Garage (opp The Cock), I believe the building may now form part of PureGym. Don't remember anyone who worked their but the daughter (Carolyn) was in my class at Victoria Road school.
GE

My Grandfather worked at Bates Foundry most of his life.

The front of it faced towards the area where the Indian restaurant is now and the workshops and foundry were two floors with a low brick wall which extended to the present day car rental offices and through which was a door for access.

Lenny Haywood worked there,I think he went there when he left School.

Who remembers the Vicarage for Witton Church,where it was and what year it was knocked down,and the last vicar to live in it?.

Below you will see a team program from a Vics game in the long past. Starting this week I will be running a competition for the name of the home team is in this program, i have deleted all reference to the team in the program. If no one guesses it within 24 hours i will start to give clues to the teams name. The winner will get a 50/50 ticket for Saturdays game from me which you could win up to £140, on the condition that if you win you give half of the money to the bin fund. I will also be running this every week on different programs
Bootle program.jpeg

Last edited:
Here is a little clue,they once beat Crewe Alec 11-4.

Very good quiz idea, but make it harder for those of us with ATFAS by deleting the date! Maybe keep the year?

Yes John Big Len,he sadly passed away a few years ago.
Yes Kev it was Bootle,I owe you a 50/50.Bootle won the game 2-0 with a gate of 3,000.
Next weeks programme may not include Vics,it could be any of the local team's or maybe two teams out of the area.

Toddy, going back to page 4 re: yarwoods, I did a spell in the merchant navy when I was 16 on a cargo ship in west Africa and a tug came to push us into the berth named Northwich, how's that for a shocker.

Dave eds,The last tug built a Yarwoods was renamed Katrina,and was working in Valletta(Malta) Harbour the last time I heard,but don't know if it still is.

Back