• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner

Alan you say what the other jobs are or were and I'll tell what the Mid-Night Chariot was,I would have thought anyone who went to Rudheath Sec Modern would have known we used to sing a song about it.
Here is one more Bookies Runner.

Lamp Lighter. – went round lighting the street lights (pre electricity days)
Plater. – metalworker, applying thin sheet of surface metal
Wheel-tapper. – inspected railway wagons (typically by hitting the wheels to identify cracks/faults)
Shunter. – worked in the sidings moving indiv wagons around to assemble trains for longer journeys
Working on the mid-night chariot.
Usherette. – showed you to seat in cinema
Type Face Setter. – in printers etc, composed the blocks of type ready for printing
Hod-Carrier. – carried the bricks to the bricklayers
Linesman.(nothing to do with football) – maintains power lines (electricity) – as immortalised by Glen Campbell (though being US he omits the s)
Tanner. – tans (treats) animal hides to produce leather (use of tannin)
Jointer. – the one I am a little unsure about, as it could relate to woodworking (though I’d have thought that would be joiner, which is what my granddad was) or possibly electrical cabling (creating the joints between cable ends)

… and the Bookies Runner went round people’s houses or round the local factory etc taking bets and passing them on to the bookmaker in the days before they were on every High Street.

My guess on the chariot is the person who went round at night-time clearing the streets and rudimentary outside toilets of the (putting it politely) waste accumulated during the previous day, piling it up on a cart as he went along. Around 150-200 years ago. But that's just a vaguely educated guess.

Alan very good all correct,but the Mid-Night Chariot worker was a person who went around at night (ie nick-name Mid-Night Chariot) emptying non-flush toilets,but not so long ago as 150-200 years ago,it was still going on in the 40s and well into the 50s at least.

Clearly I had too cossetted a childhood, I never realised it persevered post-war.

The jointer was an electrical workman who worked on underground cables (ie if cables were damaged or if a new supply was need in property he would repair or join on new cable to existing cables).

As most of us know the Northwich Carnival is now held on Verdin Park,but where was it held before?.

No Alan,here's a clue.
There are house's on the site now.

No John.Here's another clue.
You have to go up a hill to get to it.

The answer is.
It was held where Greenbank estate is now.
Does anyone remember when there use to be a small fairground opposite the old bus terminus,there were fairs on it about twice or three times a year.

Who remembers the Chip Shop opposite Drill Field Road where Hayhurst Road is now,and who owned it?

Just watching Gareth Ainsworth on MoTD. Remember watching him destroy a few defences in a Vics shirt, particularly Telford at Bucks Head. One of the best loan signings for Vics, along with Ian Nolan and Dele Adebola.

I remember that game Kit it was a night match I think we won 4-1,

Who remembers Bate's Iron Foundry,where it was and anyone who worked there?.

Back