• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner

toddyb

Too much time on my hands
Dec 23, 2014
I am starting up Memory Corner,so anyone who wish's to share memories of our town or area whether or not it's sport related or just general memories please fell free to share.you do not have to be a 1874 fan,it is open to all.

Nora's? shop in Church Road which appeared to be open 24/7 in the days when such a thing was unheard of.

Did she also have the chippy which was where the Stan James bookies is now?

Last edited:
John I don't the answer,does anyone else know?

Does anyone know the name of the person who owned the shop on Percy Street by Whalley Road?.

The Church Rd question reminds me of the Mrs Wilkins shop up in Lostock on the main road opposite the ICI football pitch. I'm sure it was there in the early 60s and still there last time I drove past, but maybe my eyes are deceiving me. I got my first fireworks there as not much more than a toddler it seems now!

Was that the shop that Phil Robinson later own,it was next door to where my ex wife lived?.

The Church Rd question reminds me of the Mrs Wilkins shop up in Lostock on the main road opposite the ICI football pitch. I'm sure it was there in the early 60s and still there last time I drove past, but maybe my eyes are deceiving me. I got my first fireworks there as not much more than a toddler it seems now!

Mrs Wilkins is still in business, with her daughter. Her mum used to live in Orchard Street, next door to the Powells (a good Witton name - oops).
Regarding the shop in Church Road - Bill Crank used to run the grocers (etc) in Church Road. Bill was a good centre half for the Grey Lambs in the 50s. Talking of good players this Toddy bloke wasn't a bad goalkeeper for a team that played on Chinkers in the Chester League. Can anyone name the team (except Toddy)?
GE

Was that the shop that Phil Robinson later own,it was next door to where my ex wife lived?.

No, Mrs Wilkins' is on the corner. The one Phil Robinson owned is now JP Ceramics, but I thought all you green fans would have known that!
GE

GE good to have a Wittoner on here with a sense of humor,now I have to guess who you are.

What other Northwich based team played in the Chester League at the same time as the last Question by GE,here's a clue the would kick anything above grass high,as I can verify.

When The Memoral Hall was built(not the monstrosity that's there now) how was it financed to build it?
When it first opened (before the groups use to play there)what was the name of the Orchestra who usually played at the dance's on a Saturday night?.

Nice thread Toddy. I don't know the answer to this one but have always wondered what year the Regal Cinema first opened its doors and what film was shown.

For Wittoners.
Who was "Nonk" Foster and what was his role on the old Central Ground?
Apart from chasing us kids off the pitch when playing football in the goalmouth on a Sunday afternoon!

May I answer John.
Paul I will try and find out for you.

For Wittoners.
Who was "Nonk" Foster and what was his role on the old Central Ground?
Apart from chasing us kids off the pitch when playing football in the goalmouth on a Sunday afternoon!

Nonk, well his role was to do everything he could to get in to the CG without paying! He 'helped' around the ground
and was happy to get into an argument with anyone (including himself!). A bit of a latter day Colin in that respect!!

He passed away at a very early age, sadly, although I do think he saw the better footballing years at Witton.

GE

Nora's? shop in Church Road which appeared to be open 24/7 in the days when such a thing was unheard of.

Did she also have the chippy which was where the Stan James bookies is now?

Talking of Church Road, I did a paper-round for the Newsagents in Church Road. Can anyone name the joint owners.

And yes, John, I think she did run that chippy. There was a hardware shop next door but can't remember it's name. Any help?

GE

I think Nonk was the kitman for a time,he lived in Rudheath and then moved to a bungalow on Lostock estat.
Paul the Regal opened on 28-1-1939,the first film shown was A Storm In A Teacup staring Vivien Leigh and no I did't see it.
The answer to the other Northwich based team who played in the Chester League was Leftwich United can anyone name who played for them.
GE what was the name of the bakery shop on Church Road went in it plenty of times but can not remember it's name?.

When The Memoral Hall was built(not the monstrosity that's there now) how was it financed to build it?
When it first opened (before the groups use to play there)what was the name of the Orchestra who usually played at the dance's on a Saturday night?.

Back