• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner

Toddy, the band was Tommy Nichols, many happy nights there, including Acker Bilk, screening lord such and Freddie &the. Dreamers etc

dave eds correct I too have many happy nights there,we used to go to the Feathers in town with my mates get a few pints inside us them to the morg.
There's a good Question.
What was unusual about the Feathers.

I think Nonk was the kitman for a time,he lived in Rudheath and then moved to a bungalow on Lostock estat.
Paul the Regal opened on 28-1-1939,the first film shown was A Storm In A Teacup staring Vivien Leigh and no I did't see it.
The answer to the other Northwich based team who played in the Chester League was Leftwich United can anyone name who played for them.
GE what was the name of the bakery shop on Church Road went in it plenty of times but can not remember it's name?.

The bakery shop was Lunts. It was also a model railway shop & is now 'Something Fishy'. Yes, Toddy, lovely custards, but I preferred Harters tbh.

I suggest you start a separate thread headed 'POP HORNBY'S'..............
THE shop to be seen in!!!
GE

Sorry Stephen was't there a shop on main road nearly opposite the memorial?.but don't know Moulton very well,we were never made welcome as lads by the Moulton Lads.

Does anyone know what happened to the series of drawings about the stages of drink that were walls around the shop in Pop Hornby's?.

How about Frank Price,s or Wilkinsons Wool shop in Barnton.
Who remembers the little old lady who ran a chip shop at the junction of Church Rd, Emmett St and Lydyett lane.

The Memorial Hall was built by money raised from Public Subscription from the people of Northwich.
One of the primary fundraisers was Nancy Ridgway who only died last year in her nineties and who was originally from Oak Street and who lost a brother fighting the Japanese in the Far East during the Second World War.
The destruction of the Memorial Hall was controversial because the Memorial Hall was built to commemorate local men and women who had died in the recent World War and was paid for by public subscription in their memory.

Wilsons sports shop which had wooden floors and I seem to remember wooden shelves with football boots displayed?

It was opposite the Crown hotel in Market street.

They sold me some Subbuteo rules in the mid-70's.
Priced at One shilling & a bit dusty I seem to remember.

John you are right about the Memorial Hall,also Vics and Witton used to put a team together and play an all star team to raise money,I think there were two such games.I think one was by Harry Ware,the initial was £25,ooo.

Shops in Moulton,this is from My Dad born In Moulton at Jack Lane Farm 27th September 1925
Here we go
Whalleys(Grocer) Regent St Hardmans(Butchers) Regent St Hewitts(Fish & Chips & Taxi) Regent St/Whitlow Lane Batty Buckley(Clothes) Regent St/Whitlow Lane
Newtons(Bicycle Repair) Shaws Bakery Main Rd Yarwoods(Grocery) Main Rd Post office Main Rd Briscoes(Newsagent)Main Rd/Regent St
Bebbington(Sweet Shop) Main Rd Darlinton Bakery Chapel Lane Bebbingtons(Sweets & General) Top end of Main Rd Wilsons(Shoe & Shoe Repair) Main Rd Now Opposite Northwich Market Gilroy Wilson
We Have photo of Herbert Shaws Shop Front from 1934

Who remembers The Fox and what was unusual about the ceiling in the tap room?

The answer to the Question about the Feather's.
Instead of having beer pump's,the barrels of beer were behind the bar,and the beer was poured straight into the glass,the only problem. was you never got a good top on the beer

Back