• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner

GE you are correct it is Lostock,also the player's you named are in the photo's,can anyone name any of the others?.

The ones I recognize
Top photo.
Back row left to right.?.?.?.Pete Foxley.Tommy Boyle.?.?.
Bottom row left to right.Maurice Buckley.?.Keith Goulding.?.?.
Photo in pub.
Back row left to right.Roy Horth.?.?.? Buckley.?.Doug Gallimore.Jimmy Buckley.?.
Front row.?.Alan Coppack.Pete Foxley.Fred Astles.
Cane anyone put names to the others?.

The Chip Shop opposite to the Wings Club was at one time run by Ruby Tomlinson. Austin’s the Ironmongers next door, was later owned by Bratt and Evans.

On the Station side of these businesses was a News Paper Distribution Company, Thompsons. To the right hand side of Thompsons was Weiner’s, a Car Parts Business.

After Hadfield Street was Hough’s Chemists and Hugh’s Radio and Television shop. The Television shop was later owned by Poole’s of Davenham.

Men’s Hairdressers.

Myatt’s was the main Gents hairdressers in Northwich, they operated above the Wool Shop adjacent to the R.A.O.B. Cub. At one time access was through the Wool Shop, later access was obtained via a side door down the left hand side passageway.

Eric Longworth, Joe Sutton, Cyril Flaherty and Don Brooks among others all served their time at Myatt’s.

Eric Longworth lived in Victoria Road and his first shop was on the corner of Manchester Road and Station Road, Lostock. The building was demolished and would have been in front of the existing Chippy.

Joe Sutton first shop was in the row adjacent to the Roebuck.

Cyril Flaherty operated out of a shop on Middlewich Road, where Bargain Booze are now situated.

Don Brooks first operated out of the old Myatt’s premises.

Baker Bros. operated the Ladies and Gents Business near to the Wings Club. A Mr Baker used to travel round from his home in Darwin Street on a small motorcycle, he didn’t pass his test and he always rode his bike with his feet down at about 10 mile an hour?

Last edited:
Station Road.
Bartons Place, leading down to what used to be Samual Huttons Civil Engineers Yard. Eric Johnson’s Shop and Lighting Showroom on the corner.

Adjacent to Eric Johnsons there was a Chip Shop, later Eric Johnson Show Room was extended in to it. Who ran the Chip Shop?

Here's a Question for you.
Which none league player who scored in the F.A.Cup yesterday,appeared at a F.A.Cup Final but did not play?.

Someone on the Witton forum asking how to find the Mid-Cheshire Senior cup winners and Cheshire league Cup winners back to 1919,I'll give him a start Mid-Cheshire Senior Cup 2015-16,1874 Northwich.There is a way if he ask's me I will tell him.
By the way The Mid-Cheshire Senior Cup has not always had that name what other name has it had.

In which year did Bolton Wanderers visit Witton Albion in the FA Cup?

The first reference to a local cup that could be todays's Mid-cheshire Senior cup was in the1896\97 season when it was called The Northwich and District Charity Cup.In the 1901\02 season it was called The Northwich and District Senior Cup,then in 1903\04 the Charity Cup,in 1906\07 The Northwich and District Cup.I can find no record of it until 1921\22 when it was named The Northwich and District Senior Cup.The in1948\49 it is the Northwich F.A. Cup,in 1982\83 it is renamed Mid-Cheshire F.A. Senior Cup.

Here's a Question.Was there ever a time in football when you could not be off side from a free kick?

Back