• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Memory Corner

Pheonix Youth Club played in the Warrington League Frank when I played for them Frank.

GE not sure about Leftwich and ICI Alkali I think they played in the Mid- Cheshire League and Leftwich played in the Chester League.
Davenham and Pimlots played in the Senior League.Any more.

Lostock Boys Club,Winsford Athletic are two more,Here's a Question where did those two clubs play?.

Lostock Boys Club played on the field off Manchester Road, opposite to Tony Fu's.

Winsford Athletic played on the field behind the Bingo Hall in Dingle Lane, the pitch was like Hill Sixty. Winsford Cricket Club played on the flat area at the top of the field. The site is now the Cheshire West and Chester Council Offices, Wyvern House.

Last edited:
Both are correct Red One.
Where did Vagrants and St Pauls play also Yarwoods and Pimlots these two grounds I'm not sure.

I think Vagrants played on Whalley Road. On a previous posting you said St Pauls played on the Drill Field. Where was their Youth Club?

I used to play for Yarwoods in the Northwich Junior League and I can't think where we played. Did they play on Whalley Road and change at the Church Walk School? We always travelled on a Special Northwestern Bus to our away games. The team was run by a Chap who lived on Danefield Road and the team had a number of Danefield Lads, including Keith Leather and Lenny Haywood .

Pimlots played on a field adjacent to their Boat Yard off Saxons Lane, to the rear of Frida Crescent.

Len also played for Winsford Athletic also councilor Tony Lawrenson played for them.

Tomorrow I will be starting a new item,it doe's not matter how old you are or where you live,so please take part and I hope it will be very interesting.

John Griffiths, who runs the Fruit and Veg shop in Weaver Way, also played on the wing for Winsford Athletic and his mate who used to work as a Safety Officer down the Salt Mine, a lad named Ronnie Lightfoot played on the other wing. This team was run by a chap who ran a Fruit and Veg business in Delamere Street, Winsford.

There was another team from Winsford which played in the Sunday League, they played on a pitch on the Swimming Baths side of the stream from Wyvern House and Peter Forshaw played at right back, a real tuff nut. They used to get changed in the lounge of the Queens Hotel.

Peter Forshaw played in the Mid-Cheshire Boys team at the same time as me,he had a brother called Les,great lads

The idea of this item is for people to give memories of the times and places where they lived,it does not matter which town ,Northwich Winsford or Runcorn or any where else.Starting with their first memories through the decades up till now,it will show how place's and the way we lived have changed over the year's.You do not have to do it all at once,it can be over as many posting's as you want,start at your first memory and decade.I hope it becomes a interesting topic and who know's,some of us may have shared memories,I will start it off.
My first memory of my town Northwich,was being in a nursery on Church Walk with my very good friend Tony Watermam,in the late 1940s the one memory I have is us playing on a rocking boat(which I still have a photo of the two of us on it).I would be very interested to know if anyone else remembers attending that nursery.I hope this theme will bring back happy day's memories.

I think my early memories of Northwich involve starting at Victoria Road Infants in the early 60s. Can't really recall whether that was my first Northwich memory as we moved to the town when I was about to start school, and previous memories of Leicester, Wellingboro and New Mills are fuzzy to say the least.
I do remember we considered it perfectly normal to walk to school from half way down Manchester Road (past Parks steelworks and almost next to what was the National petrol station). There was a little corner shop down the road which seemed to just sell bottles of fizzy drinks (Tizer etc) - deposit bottles, and I was given the responsibility of taking the empties back for the deposits, plus a man who sold cigarettes to the neighbourhood from the back of his house next to the petrol station. That was another of my household chores - to go to him to buy my mum's cigarettes. Yes, as a 5 year old. And my brother being 10 years older got a part-time job as a petrol station attendant. None of this paragraph could be written today!

John, Mahons shop was on Percy Street just off Whalley Road,it is now a house.You don't get shops like that today,the supermarkets have put pay to them.

Here are three pictures of a well known local football team.Can you name the team anyone in the photo's,and what was was their finest decade? 11234.jpeg

Here are three pictures of a well known local football team.Can you name the team anyone in the photo's,and what was was their finest decade? View attachment 999

I do believe it is LOSTOCK GRALAM FC. The top picture features goalkeeper (the late) Pete Foxley, a Vics fan I believe. To the right of Pete is ...... Kenny.

The picture on the left in the Slow & Easy (I'm sure they are the same curtains as now!) features Alan Coppack, Pete Foxley & Doug Gallimore.

The unfamiliar red & white quarters shows Doug Gallimore & Pete Foxley but the others, whilst familiar, I can't name them.

Got to say, football wise, today was a good day for me. Not sure I'll be able to say that too often this season.

GE

Back