• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

General Election 2017

Who will you be voting for on June 8th

• Conservative

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Labour

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • UKIP

• Green

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

• Total voters
At this present time we have not one politician fit to lead our country,they are either idiot's or light weights.
I can honestly say that none of the present prime ministerial choices fill me with enthusiasm, which is a real shame. I can't help wondering though how the political landscape might have looked today influenced by the leadership of the calibre of Hugh Gaitskill, John Smith or Conservative moderate, Ken Clarke.

Well I've just been and voted tactically, not that it'll probably do me or anyone else down here much good. The convincer was the guy in a cowboy hat and other such garb, plus blue rosette, at the door asking me for my electoral roll number. "Why?" I asked. Perplexed, he said "Because we're doing a count". "I thought that's what happens inside with the secret ballot", I said. He glared at me as I walked past.

"She said she wouldn't call an election.

So, in the very first sentence of your response you have by implication agreed that she is a liar!
I repeat my earlier statement.
On 11 separate occasions May was asked whether she would call an early election.
On each occasion she said no.
But then all of a sudden she changed her mind.
So, can I ask you Andy if you think she has lied to the British elecorate?
And if she has, then can I also ask how do you think we can trust a PM who is a liar??

Atticus I'm no Tory never will be and I think May is a sheep in sheep's clothing,who will be a disaster for this country,but please name in your memory any PM or for that fact any leader who was not a liar,maybe Mr Corbyn and he is an unrealistic and will never lead labour to victory.Until labour come to their sense's and get another leader we will have to suffer the Tory's I'm afraid.

So, in the very first sentence of your response you have by implication agreed that she is a liar!
On 11 separate occasions May was asked whether she would call an early election.
And if she has, then can I also ask how do you think we can trust a PM who is a liar??

Well if you want someone who's never lied running the country, you'll have a bloody hard time finding someone!

It's political common sense. A General Election directly after Brexit would have plunged the country into unnecessary termoil. And if she'd come out and said "We'll have an election next summer" parliament would have ground to a holt also plunging the country in to termoil.

And even further to that, as explained in the previous post, a lots changed since then. You're intelligent enough not to let you passionate hate for her to get in the way of common sense.

There is no 1 reason an election was called, there's a number.

For someone who clearly despises the Tories, you seem to be disappointed at this chance to get rid of them.

And Toddy, everyone is a wolf in sheeps clothing to you, especially Wittoners ;)

Andy read my post again I said sheep in sheep's clothing.

Last edited:
It would only have been a lie if Theresa May knew she was going to call an election when she made the statements that she wasn't going to. You will never know whether that's true and you can't prove it, so you have bounded to the conclusion that she is a liar. People do change their minds and sometimes you just have to accept that. I would say that our politicians generally have a fair degree of integrity in both local and national government. If you think that they all act through self interest and deception democracy is pretty well done for.

Andy, she said immediately after being given by default the leadership of the Conservative party that she wouldn't call an election, and it is true that that was a long time ago now. But she repeated this numerous times on different occasions up until shortly before "changing her mind". Her primary reason for not allowing the Scots a 2nd vote was that it would detabilise the Brexit process, the same reason she kept quoting for not having a general election. Now it seems she thinks a general election would do exactly the opposite of what she thought. Anyone who does not sense political opportunism is politically naive.
And of course it means that the Brexit two-year countdown clicks on down with nothing happening apart from ludicrous suggestions that the EU are trying to influence the election, just because on their side they are continuing to lay the preparatory ground for any talks.
But then for a politician to change her mind after apparently supporting Remain and now waving the flag for Leave is not surprising. Indeed, one may look at her shifting stance on that as equally opportunistic.

Personality politics continues to cloud the issues, however.

I think there would be much less perception of self-interest and less actual self-interest if MPs were banned from having corporate directorships and advisory roles. In fact, let's go the whole hog and make MPs give up all other employment. If they're so wholesome and want to do the best for their constituents and the country then they won't mind putting their money where their mouth is and focusing on the position - a hugely privileged one - 100%.

Interestingly (?) someone on the radio has just drawn a few valid parallels with Erdogan in Turkey (all those EU people are against me, vote for me and vote for a strong independent Turkey - substitute one word)

Andy, she said immediately after being given by default the leadership of the Conservative party that she wouldn't call an election, and it is true that that was a long time ago now. But she repeated this numerous times on different occasions up until shortly before "changing her mind". Her primary reason for not allowing the Scots a 2nd vote was that it would detabilise the Brexit process, the same reason she kept quoting for not having a general election. Now it seems she thinks a general election would do exactly the opposite of what she thought. Anyone who does not sense political opportunism is politically naive.
And of course it means that the Brexit two-year countdown clicks on down with nothing happening apart from ludicrous suggestions that the EU are trying to influence the election, just because on their side they are continuing to lay the preparatory ground for any talks.
But then for a politician to change her mind after apparently supporting Remain and now waving the flag for Leave is not surprising. Indeed, one may look at her shifting stance on that as equally opportunistic.

Personality politics continues to cloud the issues, however.

You can keep repeating the same point, and I can keep posting the same reply.

I think there's a big difference between being an opportunist and being a liar. I would agree all senior leaders are good at spotting opportunities and often that what makes them good politicians.

The question around having MPs who are dedicated to their roles and have no other interests has been debated long and hard - hence the register of MPs' interests. It would take a monumental shift in policy to enact this into legislation and I don't think there is any real appetite to move this forward - despite the antics of the now deposed MP for Tatton.

On to the Local Elections, some interesting results coming in.

Usually local elections pan out very different from Generals, however with the GE just a month away, who knows of that has affected how people have voted.

What we do know is that there has been a 5% swing from Labour to the Conservatives and UKIP have had a shocker.

If that trend is repeated on the 8th, Labour are in for a long night. Typically Labour perform much better locally than Nationally, so things could potentially be much worse than previously feared.

The UKIP vote has clearly swung back behind the Tories, as it was almost bound to do. Whether it stays with them after the Brexit "deal" is another matter, but then May will have a three year buffer before she has to worry about that (presuming she wins the GE).

Another interesting aside ... local Conservative candidate introducing themselves as "your local representative for Theresa May" ... I thought we voted for constituency MPs who represented political parties? A clear indication that they are playing down the policies and past performance in favour of a focus on the personality and challenge of Brexit

It's extraordinary seeing John McDonnell trying to spin these results as good ones for Labour.

The question around having MPs who are dedicated to their roles and have no other interests has been debated long and hard - hence the register of MPs' interests. It would take a monumental shift in policy to enact this into legislation and I don't think there is any real appetite to move this forward - despite the antics of the now deposed MP for Tatton.

I'm pretty certain they could make it happen if they wanted to... therein lies the problem...

Self-interest.

Back