• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

General Election 2017

Who will you be voting for on June 8th

• Conservative

Votes: 15 32.6%
  • Labour

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • Liberal Democrats

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • UKIP

• Green

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other

• Total voters
Most interesting result of the locals so far is Burnley west, where UKIP gained from Labour.

Be interesting to see how areas like that vote in the general election. Areas that have nothing in common with the current Labour Party, but would never Vote Tory out of tradition.

Although UKIP have had a poor set of results today, this is where i can see them doing ok in the General Election in June.

Labour are in for a long night. Typically Labour perform much better locally than Nationally, so things could potentially be much worse than previously feared.

I don't think anybody is going to be too surprised by the results come the early hours of 9th June. How that is the case really does beggar belief but that's where we are. I do think, however, that over the next 5 years millions of people are going to be in for a rude awakening when they realise that the Conservative government that they voted for really isn't doing it for them.

Turkeys... Christmas...

I saw something recently along the lines of anybody who votes Conservative and feels that they're being let down isn't so much a victim as an accessory.

...and if none of this was bad enough, it looks like we're about to get Jurgen soddin' Klopp as Mayor down here in Cambs.

I'm off to pack my bags...

James%20Palmer%20-%20H%26S%20-%2017-2-17%20%5BIMG_2900%5D%20-%20LOW%20RESOLUTION%20-%201500%20px_0.jpg

Tim Farron is on sky news telling us all that it'll be dangerous to vote for the Conservatives. He even said that the "most loyal" Conservative party members must be concerned.

Is that the best Tim Farron can come up with? He wants to be the next official opposition and rather than saying "vote for us because..." he just says "ooohhhh tories are scary. Thatcher thatcher thatcher".

Need to rethink your election strategy Tim, you can't scare people in to voting Lib Dem.

Tim Farron is on sky news telling us all that it'll be dangerous to vote for the Conservatives. He even said that the "most loyal" Conservative party members must be concerned.

Is that the best Tim Farron can come up with? He wants to be the next official opposition and rather than saying "vote for us because..." he just says "ooohhhh tories are scary. Thatcher thatcher thatcher".

Need to rethink your election strategy Tim, you can't scare people in to voting Lib Dem.

With his views on gay people who would vote for Dim Tim:bucktooth

Came home to discover that my tactical vote wasn't wasted after all and that I now live in a mini LibDem enclave in true blue Toryshire - with a whopping majority of 36 votes. Cheered me up a tiny bit, as did the fact that UKIP collapsed to 4th place with just 147 votes.

While it is perfectly possible to frown on Farron's failure quickly to clarify his personal views on gay sex etc, that is scarcely a reason (not) to vote for anyone representing the party he leads. Records show that he has voted in favour of all equal rights legislation, surely therefore his religious misgivings (if such they be) are irrelevant and entirely personal. Or do we expect all political leaders to be quizzed endlessly on the same subject? I'd rather they were quizzed on (and gave answers to) issues of major political import.

It will be a good enough reason not to vote Lib Dem for many Alan myself included, Same as i wouldnt vote for a party who had a leader who was racist becouse of their religious misgivings,
But thats just my opinion,We can all vote for whoever we want and for whatever reason,

If that was high on everyone's agenda then Corbyn would be next PM.

I'll go out on a limb here and say the party leaders' views on LGBT issues is not going to decide this election... o_O

Came home to discover that my tactical vote wasn't wasted after all and that I now live in a mini LibDem enclave in true blue Toryshire - with a whopping majority of 36 votes. Cheered me up a tiny bit, as did the fact that UKIP collapsed to 4th place with just 147 votes.

A trio of blue wins here between district, county and metro-mayoral elections/by-elections. UKIP wiped out.

A lot of people are saying that UKIP are finished.

I don't buy it. They still have a place. This election was always going to be tough for them. They were expecting til 2020 to rebrand and change the perception that they are a "one topic party".

I expect that they'll perform better in June than they have now. Mainly because there will be people that would never dream of voting Tory, but can not bring themselves to vote for the Labour Party anymore, this was show in Padiham where they won their only Local seat, coincidently from Labour!

Going forward UKIP will most likely fade away in the south, but really do have the potential to fill the gap Labour no longer fill, especially if Labour pick another looney leader.

UKIPs main risk at the moment is themselves, if they panic now and rip themselves apart, they it very well could be game over.

Speaking of loony leaders ... Paul Nuttall.

I for one will be glad to see the demise of a party which has over the years consistently fuelled divisions in society and emboldened the few sad racists amongst their supporters to regard their views as acceptably mainstream.

No it isn't. My post has nothing whatsoever to do with the various failings of the Labour Party in its current guise. UKIP has been infecting our society for over 20 years.

No it isn't. My post has nothing whatsoever to do with the various failings of the Labour Party in its current guise. UKIP has been infecting our society for over 20 years.

Infecting? Nigel farage is one of the best politicians of a generation - fact.

No it has everything to do with the link Alan.

In the 2015 election, working class Labour voters went over to UKIP quite literally in their millions. In the EU referendum again millions of working class voters voted with UKIP.

What's your response? Look at the reasons why, and think that maybe you're slowly getting out of touch with the ordinary man?

No. It's just call them racist and imply that you are somehow intellectually superior to them.

I keep seeing "Turkeys voting for Christmas" regarding to working class people voting for the Tories. That summarises the whole point. Rather than debate with reason, people just look down on them, implying that they don't know what they're doing. They know exactly what they're doing. They're voting for a Party that wishes to carry out what they want, rather than for a Party that thinks that they "own" them, but will happily pour scorn on them if they vote a different way.

Last edited:
Alan implied nothing of the sort. You might've inferred it. That's your problem not his.

It's not the first time that people have read what they've wanted to on this thread and not what was actually written.

Who is the 'ordinary' man? Do they have to live in the North?

Read my post ...
"the few sad racists amongst their supporters"

Not
"the millions who voted for UKIP"

I was not falling into any trap of either overgeneralising, or stereotyping, or being blinded to realities, or in some way proclaiming any superiority whatsoever. You misinterpret my post as a critique of the whole of UKIP and its policies from a "Labour" perspective. You misinterpret my post as a criticism of all those who vote for UKIP. My perspective is one of tolerance and humanity, and it was a critique of the fundamental values which drive the party. And I stand by my view that those leading that party have over the years done nothing to disabuse those few of their conviction that with UKIP becoming a mainstream party their views somehow become validated. In fact they have been guilty of pandering to those views on many occasions.

Back