• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

Football in Northwich

Companies house has a list of Witton shareholders from 2016 - https://tinyurl.com/jcdxnywb

The Worthingtons have 46k, Warrenders 50k & the late Doug Lloyd 28k
300k shares in circulation so no clear majority - assuming nothing much has changed re the holdings
So the remainder must be made up from a lot of people with relatively Small holdings - like my late father in law. The issue might be would they be able to coalesce to form a voting bloc to counter the three major shareholders?

So the remainder must be made up from a lot of people with relatively Small holdings - like my late father in law. The issue might be would they be able to coalesce to form a voting bloc to counter the three major shareholders?
I don't think you would necessarily have to counter the three major shareholders, they might be the one's most amenable to change. The folks least likely to want change are the small shareholders.

The WAFC experience with Terry Warrender was unfortunate, but not necessarily his fault. I am not aware of the full story behind what happened. That said, we can't allow that experience to dictate what we do going forwards. Times change and we must be able to meet those new challenges as they arise. What is abundantly clear is that we currently cannot do that. Whether there are enough people with the same view, or more importantly someone with the financial clout prepared to step in and make it happen is the real stumbling block. I have the feeling that there is someone out there with the drive and passion to create a football club that would drive the regeneration of sport (and business) in Mid-Cheshire, but we will never know until we ask .........

I don't think you would necessarily have to counter the three major shareholders, they might be the one's most amenable to change. The folks least likely to want change are the small shareholders.

The WAFC experience with Terry Warrender was unfortunate, but not necessarily his fault. I am not aware of the full story behind what happened. That said, we can't allow that experience to dictate what we do going forwards. Times change and we must be able to meet those new challenges as they arise. What is abundantly clear is that we currently cannot do that. Whether there are enough people with the same view, or more importantly someone with the financial clout prepared to step in and make it happen is the real stumbling block. I have the feeling that there is someone out there with the drive and passion to create a football club that would drive the regeneration of sport (and business) in Mid-Cheshire, but we will never know until we ask .........

I keep coming back to the point that (in my view) there needs to be a proper debate and by that I don't mean a shouting match across the kop ends of a football ground for ninety minutes. Despite all the initial hostility when bringing clubs together is first mentioned, I think there are enough people about who realise that doing what we are doing now isn't tenable in the long term and changes are required to bring about a new normal that gives at least some opportunity for progress and success. I have added some comments on the WAFC forum (admittedly not on the best of threads - Northern Premier League state of play) which haven't produced huge howls of protest. I think sights are firmly set on the next couple of games, but there may be more bandwidth come the end of the season. In any event the WAFC Board is being re-jigged so hopefully the new Board will pick up on the comments.

Here's the thread on the tumbleweed forum - https://www.wittonalbion.co.uk/foru...orthern-premier-league-state-of-play?start=15

I would say that historically the club/fans that raises the issue of a merger is always the club in the weakest position.
I've no idea what's going on a Witton but it doesn't seem like a happy camp at the moment.
And I think the dream of selling the ground for housing & bringing in millions is just a dream.

I was told that Witton's ground could not be sold for housing due to the proximity of the nearby industrial areas which surround it and if so it can only be sold for industrial purposes which halves its value.

I have added some comments on the WAFC forum (admittedly not on the best of threads - Northern Premier League state of play) which haven't produced huge howls of protest. I think sights are firmly set on the next couple of games, but there may be more bandwidth come the end of the season. In any event the WAFC Board is being re-jigged so hopefully the new Board will pick up on the comments.
No howls of protest or dissent true enough. Little support either it has to be said, aside of (and correct me if i’m wrong) a poster who is related to one of the playing squad. So not much to get excited about thus far.

Here's the thread on the tumbleweed forum - https://www.wittonalbion.co.uk/foru...orthern-premier-league-state-of-play?start=15

I would say that historically the club/fans that raises the issue of a merger is always the club in the weakest position.
I've no idea what's going on a Witton but it doesn't seem like a happy camp at the moment.
And I think the dream of selling the ground for housing & bringing in millions is just a dream.
I am not sure WAFC is in the weakest position here. The club has a substantial asset - its own ground - even though that may not be worth the sums that were once being talked about. Given the way that the surrounding area has developed, its more likely to be of value to Thor than anyone else and at what price is subject to question. In any event that's unlikely to be for housing as you correctly point out. That said replacing Wincham Park with a similar facility would not come cheap - as you guys are finding out.

A club facing relegation is hardly likely to be jumping for joy and especially where the Chairman has decided to stand down, for whatever reason that may be. That said, whatever the outcome of the relegation battle, there are enough good people in WFC to ensure that it stands ready to compete next season

Nice to see some praise for us on the Witton forum
1874 ( the biggest & best run club around)

A bit better than being called vermin by a Vics fan on Facebook

Nice to see some praise for us on the Witton forum

A bit better than being called vermin by a Vics fan on Facebook
Trouble is though Edge I suspect it was a sarcastic side swipe at the idea of a merger rather than a full bodied endorsement of 1874 .

That said we need to have the debate about what is possible without preconditions

I look forward to reading about the big meeting next week.
Hopefully lightgate will be resolved.

I look forward to reading about the big meeting next week.
Hopefully lightgate will be resolved.
It’s a bit ironic that the sale of the drill field and the central ground were supposed to springboard both NVFC and WAFC to the higher reaches of the conference and potentially into the football league. Here we are 20 years later with both NVFC and WAFC (And 1874 of course) 2 or 3 leagues lower prior to the sale of the towns jewels…

What a mess….

It’s a bit ironic that the sale of the drill field and the central ground were supposed to springboard both NVFC and WAFC to the higher reaches of the conference and potentially into the football league. Here we are 20 years later with both NVFC and WAFC (And 1874 of course) 2 or 3 leagues lower prior to the sale of the towns jewels…

What a mess….
It should be remembered that it was the investment from the sale of the Central Ground that financed the Witton team of the early 90's - conference football, 3 successive trophy semi finals, FA cup ties plus a trip to Wembley. Poor financial management, a catastrophic law suit regarding the pitch and a failure to sustain the investment brought it all to a crashing end. But it was the investmnet that allowed it to happen - and that's what is required again

It should be remembered that it was the investment from the sale of the Central Ground that financed the Witton team of the early 90's - conference football, 3 successive trophy semi finals, FA cup ties plus a trip to Wembley. Poor financial management, a catastrophic law suit regarding the pitch and a failure to sustain the investment brought it all to a crashing end. But it was the investmnet that allowed it to happen - and that's what is required again
Colne going bust helped as well :)

Who would invest in Witton though?

I believe the ground is valued at around £600k in the accounts. You'll not get a new ground for that.
Any Witton fan with money to invest would have come forward by now you'd have thought.

Which leaves the dodgy sort of investor.
Unless another club invests in Wincham Park??

Of course it was. I agree that It is a no brainer that a town the size of northwich is only big enough to have one football club competing at a decent level ie conference north or full conference possibly (or whatever it is called nowadays).

What you seem to be missing is the fact that northwich has always had two relatively big non league clubs. It’s quite unique. Compare that to your macesfields,Wrexham’s, York city’s etc- they always have been and always will be one town clubs. All bigger towns than northwich.

There are (in my estimations) at least 100 + people who follow witton, NVFC and 1874 who would never (rightly or wrongly) entertain the idea of mergers etc and see one club in mid Cheshire. Some of those people are in their 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and have supported their respective clubs all their lives and have given much of their lives to them.

So whilst I agree that you make complete sense, the time is not right for such discussion. Probably in another 10 + years it could, and maybe should, happen.

Of course it was. I agree that It is a no brainer that a town the size of northwich is only big enough to have one football club competing at a decent level ie conference north or full conference possibly (or whatever it is called nowadays).

What you seem to be missing is the fact that northwich has always had two relatively big non league clubs. It’s quite unique. Compare that to your macesfields,Wrexham’s, York city’s etc- they always have been and always will be one town clubs. All bigger towns than northwich.

There are (in my estimations) at least 100 + people who follow witton, NVFC and 1874 who would never (rightly or wrongly) entertain the idea of mergers etc and see one club in mid Cheshire. Some of those people are in their 60’s, 70’s and 80’s and have supported their respective clubs all their lives and have given much of their lives to them.

So whilst I agree that you make complete sense, the time is not right for such discussion. Probably in another 10 + years it could, and maybe should, happen.

But by that time it will be too late.

For Christ’s sake the town has got two clubs at Step 4 - neither of which is likely to be in with a sniff of promotion next season - and another bumbling along in Step 5.

All are strapped for cash and have difficult futures ahead. So if this isn’t the time to at least have an open and honest debate about the long term future of semi-pro football in the town, when the hell might be?

When all three are in the Counties League?

Some might scoff at this. But it’s only 30 years ago since both Vics and Witton were playing Conference football. And look at the progress that has been made since!

I disagree with my Albion counterpart Knutsfordian on many things, but on this one I’m with him 100%.

If we want to give Northwich a football club that the town can be truly proud of, support, attract the many new people who have moved here and provide a long lasting legacy to the next generation of Northwichers - whether they be Green, Red or non aligned - then surely this is the time to join together?!

Back