• Hello Guest, You'll need to login or signup to be able to post on here.

BREXIT THE MOVIE

Think you mean Hislop, another person that clearly can not accept the result of a fair, democratic vote. Hey ho.

Last edited:
What I cant believe is that some peoples toys are still well out of the pram some three weeks after a fair democratic vote and its not looking likely they will be brought back in anytime time soon!! The majority of the people of this country decided to leave the EU, like it or not that is a fact. Get over it and move on!:bawling
Paul/Blackie, I am accepting the outcome. However, I am questioning the actions of the leading lights of the Brexit campaign during the referendum, who have now decided to jump ship and leave someone else to carry out the task of triggering article 50 and conducting future negotiations with the EU to secure the best deal. The truth is, we are still none the wiser as to what our future relationship is with the EU. Just because the country voted out doesn't mean no one no longer has the right to question our political leaders, or that the 48% who voted remain no longer have a voice. I wish those on the leave side would stop talking as if the 48% don't matter in these negotiations.
Look at the Scottish referendum, although Scotland voted to stay in Britain, the Smith commission was established by our government to secure further devolution of powers for the Scottish Parliament as it was recognised that 45% voted for Independence. It's no different with the EU referendum. Going forward, Theresa May and all of our political leaders have to now secure a deal with the EU which satisfies all voters and helps heal the current divisions which exist in the country.

I thought my post this morning was more worthy of you quoting than your dear leader over the border ;) ...
Another Leaver abandoning us to the mess they've created - anyone got the courage of their convictions?

They've also abandoned us to that renowned social reformer Theresa May, though even I haLaf-cheered when Angela Lansbury decided the world wasn't quite ready for her brand of 'mummy-knows-best' right-wing politics. The Tory party membership seemed daft enough to have wanted her, if the folk interviewed on the radio today are anything to go by - including one from not far from here who introduced herself as "I'm M. Underwood". Whoever names themselves with their initials, except on the Wimbledon winners' board???
Yes, I like that quote as well, Alan ;) I agree also that May is the better of the two candidates and also supported the remain campaign (albeit reluctantly), so I hold out hope that she will secure a deal with the EU which satisfies the country as a whole. Leadsom certainly would have been a throw-back to the 1980's with her right-wing, socially conservative views which include opposing gay marriage, supporting fox-hunting and having anti-abortion views. Yes, the more right-leaning Conservative Party membership would have loved her, but then they would have been at odds with both the parliamentary party and the wider electorate.

What mess is that. I'm still getting up, going to work and paying the same for my food, gas electric etc.
I passed another closed shop today, I'm sure that every small business going bust from now on will be blamed on leaving the eu, despite the fact that Northwich town centre is virtually a ghost town in places, all happening under the wonderful prosperous eu!.
Perhaps if those who want to stay had been better at their job when that had the chance so many wouldn't have voted to leave!!
There are numerous reasons for town centres being ghost towns and shops closing other than our membership of the EU which actually benefits a lot of poorer towns and cities through the funding it provides. We'll just have to see if things improve or not.

There are numerous reasons for town centres being ghost towns and shops closing other than our membership of the EU which actually benefits a lot of poorer towns and cities through the funding it provides. We'll just have to see if things improve or not.
The funding that we give to the EU in the first place, some of which is then returned to the UK at the EU's discretion do you mean?

Yes he does, but I have yet to be convinced that this government (or any other for that matter) will be equally forthcoming in providing money etc to the less prosperous areas. Or to the farmers. Or to the university research departments. "Northern Powerhouse", anyone?

And Ian Hislop was right - just as nobody expects voters after an election to suddenly all become supporters of government policy, why should we be expected to become supporters of leaving the EU after a referendum. We have after all won back our democracy. Haven't we? Or has democracy now been renamed whingeing?

I would say that a 52% vote is a very clear statement that the majority of the people of this country that voted did not want to continue being part of the EU. That vote defines democracy to me.

It is a majority. The government has a majority. Both were decided upon by the democratic system. The particular version of the system employed may not be flawless, but until we agree to change it, that is what we are stuck with. The opposition parties hold the government to account and oppose what they do not agree with, they do not melt into the backgorund and acquiesce (or at least they shouldn't, though Labour are currently making a good attempt at being next to useless). There cannot be an effective democracy without an effective opposition.

But then maybe you support everything that this government stands for, and believe we should all just be cheerleaders for their policies, consigning all dissenters to some remote Scottish island gulag, I don't know.

I would say that a 52% vote is a very clear statement that the majority of the people of this country that voted did not want to continue being part of the EU. That vote defines democracy to me.
We all know that. No one is disputing the outcome, well I'm not anyway. However, just because a majority have voted out, doesn't mean the 48% who voted Remain should put up and shut up as that wouldn't be democratic would it? As has already been mentioned, the opposition party wouldn't bow down and accept everything just because they haven't got into government.

Must be demoralising to loose. !!, the team is NOT aground as the negotiating team is being chosen which will include Niige !!.

If the British people wanted to be part of the German and French yoke then they would have voted to be so, they did not so get over it !.

Demoralising doesn't begin to describe it, though I'd be shocked if yesterday's man came back into the equation. As for getting over it, I have no intention of giving up long-held beliefs (on the EU or anything else) just because I find myself in a slender minority.

Reactions: Ben
For the Brexit Leaders leaving:

Boris - He was pushed, stabbed in the back by his own party.

Farage - he was never going to have a role to play post referendum victory. You'd all be up in arms if he was at the negotiating table anyway, he can't win!

Leadsom - The party just didn't want her, and if the party don't want you, you can't lead it (Take note Corbyn)

Alan M,

Then leave supporters on this site have always stated their reason for voting as they did, you have never done so, perhaps the following may enlighten us as to that reason.

As I recollect you once said that you are/were Language Teacher mainly to European pupils and that your wife is a German lady, the pupil passport situation for the future could be a problem for them.

Residing in Dorset !, Poole is a handy little port for Europe !!.

We all know that. No one is disputing the outcome, well I'm not anyway. However, just because a majority have voted out, doesn't mean the 48% who voted Remain should put up and shut up as that wouldn't be democratic would it? As has already been mentioned, the opposition party wouldn't bow down and accept everything just because they haven't got into government.
I'm not expecting the 48% to put up and shut up, after all we want our democracy back!!, what I am more annoyed about is the negative reaction without any proof that we will be worse off out of the eu and the ridiculous exaggeration of anything that can be used against the leave decision!
Suddenly small business are a lot more at risk, racists attacks have appeared out of nowhere!, we are all xenophobic and want refugees drowning in the middle of the ocean, parents are taking children on protests with "farage is a c**t" banners!.....ridiculous!!
The pound was always going to drop with the initial panic, that was obvious!, but it's very early days yet and no one can say for sure what the future is so what's the point in all the ifs, buts and maybes?

I have never said why I am in favour of being in the EU? Please read through the thread!
I have no objections to others having other reasons for and against, and can accept that 52% disagree with me, both on the decision and (in many cases) on the aftermath.

Not at all sure about the relevance of the following, but for the record, Frank: I am primarily a commercial translator, but also run a company which supplies interpreters/translators to the public sector (22 of the 36 languages we work in are non-EU). I have also been heavily involved in language teaching for nearly 40 years, but mainly of German, and currently in the private/commercial sector (to Europeans, albeit UK citizens, although in multinational companies), although I do have some involvement with improving the English skills of French aircraft engineers locally and have in the past taught English but mostly to non-EU students. I am also the principal examiner for an international examining board (global, mostly non-EU) and a textbook author. And in my spare time I give a few driving lessons (mostly, but not all, UK citizens).
My wife is indeed German, but we have been resident in the UK for 29 years and she does not fear being deported.

And to me, Poole is a handy little port IN Europe. ;)

The only thing that is currently struggling in a post referendum world (other than the EU itself), is the Labour Party. What a shambles of a party it has become.

The MPs don't want their leader, and the leader insists on clinging on like a late 1980's early 1990's eastern Block leader. Ironic, right?

Labours heartlands are the working class North, and Corbyn couldn't be further from representing that. He's a private school educated career politician, thanks spent 30 years living off tax payers money attending far left rally's calling Hamas his "friends". That man doesn't represent the working class, he represents the liberal middle class of London, and their warped views on the world.

but Mr Corbyn was voted for by a large majority of the Labour Party members.

I believe you refer to that as Democracy.

Reactions: Ben
I never said it wasn't democratic. It is.

But when you factor in the people who voted for him:
- Thousands of Tories who wanted to end Labour
- Thousands of People who are also members of the Green Party
- A number of young, middle class students who have never been any further North than Coventry, and simple vote Labour because "that's the thing to do at Uni, right?"

My point was merely, that at this present time Labour does not represent the working class North. It's the working class North that wins Labour elections, the demographic it prides itself on representing - but it's the demographic it has well and truly abandoned.

I've never voted Labour, and if it continues down this path, I never will.

Back